Certified Legendary Thread Keep North South - Eugene pays us a visit

Remove this Banner Ad

Two other defining moments earlier that led to Thommo's goal.

Arch's smother and Pratt's defensive mark.

Ably assisted by Nathan Buckley missing an easy set shot which would've sealed the game a few minutes earlier.

You know what is great about this thread is that some of posters from yesteryear are posting in here. Great to the see you all again and thanks for your efforts during the relocation saga.

Like many on here have already done and has been remiss of me is to thank those on here who were in ROO-SISTANCE and WANM and Militants :). Thank you all again you nutbags and special shout to the chief nutbag in TOD, you bloody legend.

A bit of revisionism going on with USC. She was the AFL's mouthpiece. Basically promoted their line in the spirit of Goebbels. She may have had some inside info, but ended up betting on the wrong horse. Her North-hating was veiled but always present.

Full props to GK's media coaching, was eye opening how much anti-propaganda influenced public sentiment. Really turned the tide.

One thing I remember about being involved with WANM is that everyone was no bullshit, no ego. Just self-organised very quickly and all did our bit.

I remember meeting a guy outside Dallas Brooks Hall. He said North Melbourne people are hardcore. That's why we're still here.

Footnote: the Cypriot has no scruples. That should be obvious and not just from 2007. He was all-in on killing his old club until he saw the board wasn't swayed.

Hi Big Footy Crew

I continue to feel unconditional warmth from the North Melbourne family, which as you would all have observed, still has a very powerful impact on me some 6 years after leaving as CEO.

First things first - Heath and Ange did a brilliant job with this masterpiece. Hard to believe when I started in early 2008, we had half a full time person doing our media. Appointing Heath in late 2008 was without a doubt one of the most significant decisions I made. I remember that he actually came across for less than what he was earning at Channel 9. Within a very short period of time he improved our media profile and brand significantly and the rest is history. The best media man in the business. Remember also that North was probably the first club to actually employ a journo to manage an AFL club's media - hard to believe!

The doco speaks for itself and by necessity, a number of things ended up on the cutting room floor. That said, it beautifully captured the mood, emotion and circumstances of the time. Bravo Heath and Ange.

It seems bizarre that someone that supported Collingwood for 40 years would fall so hard for North - many of you would not know that I was actually a Board member at Collingwood. The fact is that North has supporters like no other club. I fell in love with the club as soon as I started to meet the supporters - on a stiflingly hot family day (my first real club supporter function) I was embraced by a supporter who was recovering from cancer - she simply came up to me, embraced me in a hug and said "thank you so much for coming to North". She was tired and weak, yet the sheer love from someone who did not know me was overwhelming. That was it - from that time on it became personal.

Two other observations:
  • it was Saverio Rocca's wife Rosa who convinced me to join the Roos. They are friends and I mentioned to them (down at Rye - where else) that I was thinking about joining the Club, but was not 100% sold on the idea - Eddie McGuire had been on the phone trying to convince me to stay at Collingwood and not go "to that mob". Rosa made a point of saying it was the most welcoming and wonderful club. She told me some of the stories about their time at the Roos and that was it - I was sold!;
  • the other "moment" was the phone call I received from Arch once I was accepted the job (before it was made public). He rang within a few hours of me being appointed and immediately made me feel like he was best mate. He welcomed me in such a genuine way, that I knew I made the right decision. He remains a good friend.
There are so many stories that then floated through the 5 years I was at North - the highs (Mazda renewal, the Huddle, Shareholders, Building, the staff, the players, beating Collingwood in my first year) and a few lows (Boris the chicken, the 100 point losses) - but as I have said previously, the most exhilarating, rewarding, challenging and emotional time of my life. There are a few more stories to tell!!

I will forever be grateful for my time at the Roos and it was an honour that is very humbling - to this day. None of it would have been as rewarding without the support of the North faithful - who always made me feel welcome.

Go Roos!!
Euge

PS - I do not live in Adelaide. Melbourne is my home but my work has me travelling a fair bit, so I can't get to as many games as I would like.
Thank-you for everything champ. Forever a Shinboner!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember Caro and Patrick Smith writing a lot of negative articles. When Patrick attended the Dallas Brooks Hall meeting he copped the wrath of all in attendance but credit to him for turning up and witnessing it first hand. That would have been tough as he represented the press who all seemed dead set against us. I’d still put him in the villains category.

*I’m pretty sure he left early iirc

Laidley: tell those dickheads to stop posting training notes
Simpson: can you give me 3 votes in the Freo game? too many people marking me down based on DE :mad:
I remember back in the day that Dean did not like bigfooty and each week we were warned not to leak anything on the Internet !

I remember back in the day that Dean did not like bigfooty and each week we were warned not to leak anything on the Internet !
I remember going to a sponsors breakfast courtesy of BigFooty and sitting on a table with Laidley, he said something to the effect of there being a lot s**t on BF but once he'd said that was happy to engage in a decent conversation.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got a pic of the "Never mind the Gold Coast, here's the Shinboners" T-shirt?

Still got a lot of the stuff myself. My "Keep North South" flyer's have been immortalized in laminate.

Went flicking through one of my boxes of North stuff and found a few of these that are still in good nick:

View attachment 552117

Didn't Leigh Brown get stubby holders made to mark the occasion?

Pardon my ignorance gomfs, were you a player or staff?
Dean got registered here and asked for people to stop posting training notes!
Was a member of a group called the Vice Presidents and a shareholder. Still involved and provide yearly financial support. have the signed game ball from the first Gold Coast game. Lives in the attic but may be a collectors item. FWIW I was in the group with Fulvio and we didn’t fall for any of the Duffmans BS. Disappointed with Allen Aylett though but he really did believe the club needed to relocate and didn’t accept that there would be a loss of financial support from members if the club folded.

So lets make this transparent;

LEGENDS
Bobby Ansett, Pete DeRauch, Ronny J, JB, MB, Euge, Fulvio, Arch, Timmy R, Lidge, Sonja, WANM, TOD, Limerick, Pharro, Arden Roosistence gig crew and volunteers, all the Dallas Hall champions, JYD and the 2007 team, Mazda, Pistol Pete Scanlon, Purple, NMFC members, Arden Street, non guaranteed stadium revenue in QLD, Finey

FLOGS
AFL HQ, Dimwitriou, Fitzprick, USC, Duffman, Gilligon and his Island (aka Dreamworld)

I’ll make adjustments as required because there’s so mamy people that need to be recognised as legends.
Help me out.
+ John Magowan in the legends column. His contribution has been severely underrated.

I remember a game in 2012 against the Gold Coast Suns (funnily enough) at Etihad where my Dad and I were sitting on the fence on level one about 90 minutes before the start of the game. Eugene was walking along the boundary line in front of us and said g'day to my Dad and I. They both engaged in a small conversation, where I think Eugene asked where we came from to watch the game. After hearing we came from over four hours away, he personally invited us down to the change rooms for the remainder of the pre-game.

As we left after the boys ran out, he shook my hand and told me to make sure I'm back in the rooms after the game to watch the boys sing Hearts to Hearts.

What a bloody legend of the North Melbourne Football Club.

Haven’t had this many tears since my kids were born. Saying thanks to everyone on BF intimately involved with saving our mighty club seems grossly inadequate, but thank you so much anyway and for giving my kids and the next generation of North supporters the opportunity to watch our team play, while being firmly entrenched at Arden St.

A few thoughts about this:-

1) Something few have pointed out about Demetriou, which makes his obsession with moving North to the Gold Coast, and possibly making it no longer "North Melbourne", worse, is the fact that Andrew Demetriou actually played 82 games for the club.

He played for North, yet is willing to send them interstate. It just shows how he is all about himself, if he is prepared to sell out a club who he played games for. Other North players, like Archer, bled for the club and refused to sell them out, yet Demetriou forgot where he came from.

This makes his actions worse, and it can be looked at as a betrayal.

2) Caro and others were asked to comment, yet Caro for years ran down North Melbourne as a "basket case", potted James Brayshaw, and said that North should go to the Gold Coast. Damien Barrett said the same things at the time.

Caro once said about North Melbourne on "Footy Classified" : "No money, no members, no hope".

3) I watched this special with a tinge of sadness. As I have mentioned previously on this threads, my brother passed away two years ago, and he was a huge North Melbourne fan, and member for many years. I even bought a membership, so we could go to games together.

I wish he was here to have watched this special. He didn't want North to move interstate. I pledged $30 to the club to keep them at Arden Street, and dedicated it to him, because I know that he wanted North to stay around forever, and also to help out a club that brought him much pleasure, even after he was too unwell to still go to games.

Last edited:

1) Something few have pointed out about Demetriou, which makes his obsession with moving North to the Gold Coast, and possibly making it no longer "North Melbourne", worse, is the fact that Andrew Demetriou actually played 82 games for the club.

He played for North, yet is willing to send them interstate. It just shows how he is all about himself, if he is prepared to sell out a club who he played games for. Other North players, like Archer, bled for the club and refused to sell them out, yet Demetriou forgot where he came from.

2) Caro and others were asked to comment, yet Caro for years ran down North Melbourne as a "basket case", potted James Brayshaw, and said that North should go to the Gold Coast. Damien Barrett said the same things at the time.

Caro once said about North Melbourne on "Footy Classified" : "No money, no members, no hope".

3) I watched this special with a tinge of sadness. As I have mentioned previously on this threads, my brother passed away two years ago, and he was a huge North Melbourne fan, and member for many years. I even bought a membership, so we could go to games together.

I wish he was here to have watched this special. He didn't want North to move interstate. I pledged $30 to the club to keep them at Arden Street, and dedicated it to him, because I know that he wanted North to stay around forever, and also to help out a club that brought him much pleasure, even after he was too unwell to still go to games.
I have nothing to support this but notice the backdrop and the tone of Caros interview in the doco and it’s light hearted, positive, like she was a protagonist.
Make no mistake I have no doubt she only agreed to be interviewed and to appear on the doco on the proviso her issues with JB werent mentioned and that she wasn’t leading the charge in the media.
She comes out looking like a saint

I have nothing to support this but notice the backdrop and the tone of Caros interview in the doco and it’s light hearted, positive, like she was a protagonist.
Make no mistake I have no doubt she only agreed to be interviewed and to appear on the doco on the proviso her issues with JB werent mentioned and that she wasn’t leading the charge in the media.
She comes out looking like a saint
At least Fatprick had the guts to show up at the meeting. If I remember correctly Caro was still getting stuck into North after we decided to stay for a long time then moved to JB.

I miss those vindictive articles to fire me up.

Demetrious name should be struck off our player register he has no friends at out club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back