List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 22-NOV-2023)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Errol Gulden
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
James Rowbottom
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
How many can we delist? You have to have SOME depth.

Assuming Rose, Foote, Grundy, Tippett are off that's 4 draftees. We'll be spending a lot of points on Blakey (maybe Hannebery and/or Lloyd will pay for that).

Do you want to replace Marsh, Newman, Robbo, and Towers with Round 6 draftees?

I'd definitely be keeping Robbo and Towers. Newman and Marsh might find it hard with Stoddart, Ling, COR, and of course Mills waiting in the wings.

Foote, Rose, Towers are definitely gone. Towers has fallen dramatically out of favour and will be 29 next year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox and Pink gone, and Robinson has hung around the best 22 this year but still is just a stopgap overall in the team.

Marsh is younger than I thought and handy enough as depth, so I would keep him around. I have no idea about Maibaum as I've never seen him play, does he become redundant if we get Moore?

Who knows what's going on with Lloyd and Newman.

:( I don't know, I swing back and forth on this one. It's a key role, so he must last out the season if he stays, but we have so many good young players [Melican!!], maybe it's time he went. I think my very ambivalence means it's probably time for him to go... :(

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Foote, Rose, Towers are definitely gone. Towers has fallen dramatically out of favour and will be 29 next year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox and Pink gone, and Robinson has hung around the best 22 this year but still is just a stopgap overall in the team.

Marsh is younger than I thought and handy enough as depth, so I would keep him around. I have no idea about Maibaum as I've never seen him play, does he become redundant if we get Moore?

Who knows what's going on with Lloyd and Newman.

You're probably right about Towers. I just don't get that though. He'd been playing really well, got injured, and played one poor game.

Since then as best as I can tell, he's been ripping it up in the Reserves and has continued to even though he hasn't been rewarded. That speaks volumes to me and is a key reason he should stay. Robbo, whilst not best 22, is genuine midfield depth and should be retained. We actually don't have that much midfield depth. Jones, whilst he's hard, is more a runner than an extractor.

Fox is a strange one. He has shown a bit but seems to me to have been struggling of late. What I've seen of Maibaum has been really good. Very much like Grundy when he first switched to defence. I'm not thrilled with the idea of recruiting Moore. Pink has been injured all year but had a kind of reasonable first year I thought. I think though if McCartin can be secured long term he might go.

But again, with the Blakey scenario, we're unlikely to have picks in the second and third round of the draft, unless we lose a Hannebery or Lloyd. So you actually do have to have some senior players (25-30yo) at positions 25-30 on the list. We saw what happened last year when we were forced to persist with too many juniors early in the year.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Resigning Grundy, mcveigh, naismith, allir all this season, looking more and more likely hanners is gone. And doesn't look good for Lloyd either. Priorities Sydney. I thought Lloyds signature was a little more important then Grundy. I think it also means we wont be in the hunt for a big bodied defender like a Jonas.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Reg is a champ. One of the most underrated players in the league. Awesome to hear he has worked through his issues this year and is still going strong.

I was pretty certain he wasn't going to get a contract, though. I thought at the very least one of McVeigh and Grundy would retire this year to stagger the departures of senior players from the defensive six, creating a more gradual transition rather than losing both those guys and possibly Smith too all at once in 12 months. That both have contracts is a clear sign of intent from the club: we are gunning for the premiership in 2019.

Time will tell if we should have been a little more aggressive on generational change.

The club is backing in the veterans, so now squad renewal is going to have to come at the expense of the guys in the uncontracted group of Fox, Maibaum, Marsh, Newman, Robinson and Towers.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Reg is a champ. One of the most underrated players in the league. Awesome to hear he has worked through his issues this year and is still going strong.

I was pretty certain he wasn't going to get a contract, though. I thought at the very least one of McVeigh and Grundy would retire this year to stagger the departures of senior players from the defensive six, creating a more gradual transition rather than losing both those guys and possibly Smith too all at once in 12 months. That both have contracts is a clear sign of intent from the club: we are gunning for the premiership in 2019.

Time will tell if we should have been a little more aggressive on generational change.

The club is backing in the veterans, so now squad renewal is going to have to come at the expense of the guys in the uncontracted group of Fox, Maibaum, Marsh, Newman, Robinson and Towers.

I really can't see us gunning for a flag next season with an ageing Grundy in the backline. Who's your back six out of AA, rampe, Lloyd, Smith, melican, mills, Grundy, mcveigh, Jones, Newman, cunningham? Cuz that's everyone who's been in our backline this season.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I really can't see us gunning for a flag next season with an ageing Grundy in the backline. Who's your back six out of AA, rampe, Lloyd, Smith, melican, mills, Grundy, mcveigh, Jones, Newman, cunningham? Cuz that's everyone who's been in our backline this season.

From that list I would be lining up:

Rampe - Melican - Smith
Lloyd - Aliir - McVeigh

Mills and Jones will rotate through half back and the midfield. Grundy is there if match ups or injuries require it, Newman and Cunningham next in line to cover the smaller or rebounding defenders or could be pushed up on to a wing.

We may well still add Darcy Moore on top of that list too. He would definitely go straight in to the back six, either directly replacing Melican or he would push Smith out of the 22, with Melican shifting from a taller to a smaller forward.

The point is not that Grundy is a walk up best 22 each week and we are resting our premiership hops on him. Because he isn't and we aren't.

Rather, by retaining Grundy as a more than capable key defensive option rather than replacing him with a younger, less proven or still developing player, the team management is indicating that they have made a decision to keep us strong in the short term rather than prioritising long term development. The only reason for us to keep on guys like McVeigh and Grundy in the short term is because the club thinks that by doing so we will be a better chance of winning the premiership in 2019. If we didn't think we were in with a realistic shot at the premiership we would have sacrificed some of that experience in 2019 for fresh faces who will be in the team for the best part of the next decade.

Hard not to feel that McVeigh and Grundy signing on isn't in some way related to that. I don't want him to go, but with McVeigh, Mills, Jones, O'Riordan, Newman, Cunningham, Stoddart and Ling in the squad I think his loss can be covered pretty well.
I love Lloyd, but if he gone... well that's how it goes.

Damn, that's some pretty stiff competition for a spot. Hard to see all those players staying, really.

Rampe - Grundy - Melican
Aliir - Mills - O'Riordan

I like this combination. I think Jones plays out of the middle, rotating through defence for rest. And McVeigh & Cunningham play off the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Are the trade and draft periods in November?

Is there an end date (real or theoretical) that we need to resign players by?

Trade period is October, National draft is November.

There are a couple of list lodgement deadlines but from memory all AFL contracts go until 31st October each year.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I love Lloyd, but if he gone... well that's how it goes.

Damn, that's some pretty stiff competition for a spot. Hard to see all those players staying, really.

Rampe - Grundy - Melican
Aliir - Mills - O'Riordan

I like this combination. I think Jones plays out of the middle, rotating through defence for rest. And McVeigh & Cunningham play off the bench.
Well we've kept O'Riordan on for a reason so he is a lovely kick of the ball. If he can develop the poise one needs to be the designated kicker then we have a beauty in COR & Lloyd's role will be replaced in time. Now that is if Lloyd actually moved on.
It's not a bad thing for players to move on as it allows a team to have a different look with the next in line. Our depth is OK & the development put into our young players has always been excellent so we can assume we'll find the next Lloyd, Rampe, etc & plant them into our system. I am particularly keen on seeing what we get from Ling next season.

As you know I like to look forward positively as our club has given me no reason to think otherwise that we will find another 4 or 5 "players" in the next two years.
Melican & Aliir just came out of the clouds. Just when we lost AJ, Rampe steps up. Malceski moves on & Lloyd steps in.
We don't get things perfect but we have a crack Kirky & that's ok for me.
No problem if others think we will win the p'ship every year. That's cool. Unrealistic but really cool.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
From that list I would be lining up:

We may well still add Darcy Moore on top of that list too. He would definitely go straight in to the back six, either directly replacing Melican or he would push Smith out of the 22, with Melican shifting from a taller to a smaller forward.

The point is not that Grundy is a walk up best 22 each week and we are resting our premiership hops on him. Because he isn't and we aren't.

Rather, by retaining Grundy as a more than capable key defensive option rather than replacing him with a younger, less proven or still developing player, the team management is indicating that they have made a decision to keep us strong in the short term rather than prioritising long term development. The only reason for us to keep on guys like McVeigh and Grundy in the short term is because the club thinks that by doing so we will be a better chance of winning the premiership in 2019. If we didn't think we were in with a realistic shot at the premiership we would have sacrificed some of that experience in 2019 for fresh faces who will be in the team for the best part of the next decade.
The only good thing that would come out from recruiting Moore is that Sam Reid will have some company whilst spending the year on the injury list

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
The only good thing that would come out from recruiting Moore is that Sam Reid will have some company whilst spending the year on the injury list

Moore debuted in 2015. Round 14. He played every game for the rest of that season.

In 2016 he played 17 games.

In 2017 he played 21 games.

This year has been injury interrupted, but really for the first time. He has only managed 7.

Still, from debut he has played 54 out of a potential 75 games, almost 3/4. Before this season it was 47 out of 53, 89% of possible games.

So, it is just this season that he has had injury problems. I have no idea why people make it out like he is perpetually injured or has struggled to be fit. True for this sesson, but this season has been the exception, not the rule, in his career so far.

exportchamp

Draftee
Feb 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry if Ive missed this chat in here but they keep repeating Hanners to St Kilda is done, I cant see how they get the deal done anyone else?
Hanners & our first pick (approx 14/15/16)
for St Kildas first pick (approx 4/5/6)

Sorry if Ive missed this chat in here but they keep repeating Hanners to St Kilda is done, I cant see how they get the deal done anyone else?
Hanners & our first pick (approx 14/15/16)
for St Kildas first pick (approx 4/5/6)
They pay a lower trade price to take on his entire contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back