Premiership Coach

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey Grenville was just wondering how the rating system worked in pc2011 it always confused me.

PC2011 had a lot more skills/attributes in the mix, and i dont have all of the calculations for those where i can get at them easily. It worked similarly to what I've copied in here for PC2019 model, but was just a much bigger matrix. It didnt work well, was hard to balance and rate etc.

This is a screenshot from part of a spreadsheet that i was using to randomly generate players under the new model, which shows how the ratings will calculate in PC2019. They're tied much more directly to the sim now, and the frequency of contests that players are involved in. May change some, but expect this will be pretty close to what releases.

upload_2018-8-27_8-43-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-27_8-40-4.png
    upload_2018-8-27_8-40-4.png
    37 KB · Views: 107

RetsinisX

Draftee
Sep 28, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey all!

Couple of quickies (for what it's worth)
  • I play match day yet sim quarters = Realistic (exciting usinf the interchanges, injuries etc.)
  • Low "marking" attribute on players = Duds
  • Never knew the connection between ratings of IM and OM = Placing them in 'opposite' positions had more of an effect (doesn't matter, just a query for transparency) = This helps with training and/or moving a potential star OM to become a solid SD...
  • I think someone has mentioned before that the Brownlow votes looked backwards... i.e. probable 3 vote getter =1 vote, 2 vote = 2 and 1 vote = 3 (no big deal, and may I guess it stuck to low votes for Key Positions (excl ruck) and enjoy not having the 'control')
  • One which has bugged me from day one (I used Notepad all the time) = Does anyone 'create' their own scenario of why the club hires you (at the beginning of the game) in Jan? I really don't care if it is addressed, as I alluded, I would just create a scenario i.e. "Hird steps down dues to yadda yadda" = I used to sim a year, then take an available job, go to the draft etc, proceed to the next year and use Notepad to delete the previous year's coaching stats. Was painstaking at times, but started the year with 'my' squad...
  • Used Notepad to adjust other coaches Contract Lengths (inc. their Job security etc.) as kept a few players out of retirement (my first was bringing back Cousins 'again' for one year at GC LOL)
  • B&F for players which have changed clubs = One year Monfries, M.Morton and Danger have a B&F in their profile, yet for that year, they all played in my team... Pretty sure Adl, Ess and Rich didn't have Players 'in' their squad win it that year LOL
  • There was an issue with F/Sons and the option to 'save/backup' near the end of the year, or close the game after the U18 Nat Champs. If you didn't 'save/backup' or leave the game AFTER the U18 Nat Champs, then the F/S from previous years would be available in the draft (recruiter select option would pick them up IF they were atop of your list. So the trick was to Make them a priority in your selections, manually pick up the high draft picks, and at the latter stages, use the recruiter select option to pick up the rating 99 F/S)
Sincerest apologies, longer than anticipated, please don't hate me!!!
I just wanted to put some out there which have not been picked up on as yet.
I do feel the match day experience using the Sim Qtr is much better than the weekly/yearly Sim, and some of the other issues raised are not essential (I'm sure most would agree).
Thanks for your time. And many, many thanks for your efforts everyone involved!!!

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Hey all!

Couple of quickies (for what it's worth)
  • I play match day yet sim quarters = Realistic (exciting usinf the interchanges, injuries etc.)
  • Low "marking" attribute on players = Duds
  • Never knew the connection between ratings of IM and OM = Placing them in 'opposite' positions had more of an effect (doesn't matter, just a query for transparency) = This helps with training and/or moving a potential star OM to become a solid SD...
  • I think someone has mentioned before that the Brownlow votes looked backwards... i.e. probable 3 vote getter =1 vote, 2 vote = 2 and 1 vote = 3 (no big deal, and may I guess it stuck to low votes for Key Positions (excl ruck) and enjoy not having the 'control')
  • One which has bugged me from day one (I used Notepad all the time) = Does anyone 'create' their own scenario of why the club hires you (at the beginning of the game) in Jan? I really don't care if it is addressed, as I alluded, I would just create a scenario i.e. "Hird steps down dues to yadda yadda" = I used to sim a year, then take an available job, go to the draft etc, proceed to the next year and use Notepad to delete the previous year's coaching stats. Was painstaking at times, but started the year with 'my' squad...
  • Used Notepad to adjust other coaches Contract Lengths (inc. their Job security etc.) as kept a few players out of retirement (my first was bringing back Cousins 'again' for one year at GC LOL)
  • B&F for players which have changed clubs = One year Monfries, M.Morton and Danger have a B&F in their profile, yet for that year, they all played in my team... Pretty sure Adl, Ess and Rich didn't have Players 'in' their squad win it that year LOL
  • There was an issue with F/Sons and the option to 'save/backup' near the end of the year, or close the game after the U18 Nat Champs. If you didn't 'save/backup' or leave the game AFTER the U18 Nat Champs, then the F/S from previous years would be available in the draft (recruiter select option would pick them up IF they were atop of your list. So the trick was to Make them a priority in your selections, manually pick up the high draft picks, and at the latter stages, use the recruiter select option to pick up the rating 99 F/S)
Sincerest apologies, longer than anticipated, please don't hate me!!!
I just wanted to put some out there which have not been picked up on as yet.
I do feel the match day experience using the Sim Qtr is much better than the weekly/yearly Sim, and some of the other issues raised are not essential (I'm sure most would agree).
Thanks for your time. And many, many thanks for your efforts everyone involved!!!

I used to mess around with the game to create a variety of custom scenarios/teams. One that I loved doing was simming a year up until just after the draft, and then taking the player files for the first 40 picked and putting them in a team such as Melbourne or Gold Coast in a new save. It was fun watching their ratings increase and then win many premierships in a row after losing many games in the early years.

As for those issues you did mention, I have been aware of those for a long time, particularly the brownlow votes and the father son draft issue but completely forgot about them when I was mentioning some of the things that needed to be fixed.

SJL93

Debutant
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A few people had mentioned being interested in working on player ratings. If you want to get involved please PM me.
I'm definetly interested in helping, I have a few limiting factors & I'm unable to PM you. Also Haydo would be the best person for advice.

Sub7ekjr

Rookie
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey Grenville (Ad was it?), the screens you've sent us look great IMO.

One suggestion I would have is adding a small percentage of rating calculation to each stat. I wouldn't necessarily say that being able to kick goals makes for a better Inside Midfielder, but I think for example, if two players rated 80 each were identical except for their goalkicking stat (one is a 20, the other is an 80), I think the better goalkicker should have slightly higher rating overall. I'd rather a mid who can kick goals than a mid who can just play mid. I know it's reflected in the "Other position" ratings, but I also think it should have a small impact on the overall as well.

I'd personally either have a 1% weighting to the missing stats for each position, or have the overall calculated with some kind of weighting from the other stats. Like having the overall be calculated 90% by the best rating, 5% for the second best rating, 2% for the third best, and 1% each for the fourth through sixth highest rating.

In my opinion, it would balance out having to boost players stats unrealistically to have a player who can play everywhere well being better than someone who's just as good in their own position but not anywhere else.

Of course, it's just a suggestion, and the exact numbers would need a lot of balancing to make each player fairly rated. Just feel like the overall should be affected in some way by how well rounded a player is.

Thanks for all the great work!

Schods

Senior List
Apr 21, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
A few people had mentioned being interested in working on player ratings. If you want to get involved please PM me.
I'm happy to do any of that stuff if needed Grenville. I'm unable to PM you as well so I thought here would be the best spot to respond. I'm able to do player histories as well (such as draft history, former clubs, contracts, past season's data, etc.).

saposcat

Draftee
Aug 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would love to contribute in some way too. Very limited skills/experience, but happy to do whatever I can!

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey Grenville (Ad was it?), the screens you've sent us look great IMO.

One suggestion I would have is adding a small percentage of rating calculation to each stat. I wouldn't necessarily say that being able to kick goals makes for a better Inside Midfielder, but I think for example, if two players rated 80 each were identical except for their goalkicking stat (one is a 20, the other is an 80), I think the better goalkicker should have slightly higher rating overall. I'd rather a mid who can kick goals than a mid who can just play mid. I know it's reflected in the "Other position" ratings, but I also think it should have a small impact on the overall as well.

I'd personally either have a 1% weighting to the missing stats for each position, or have the overall calculated with some kind of weighting from the other stats. Like having the overall be calculated 90% by the best rating, 5% for the second best rating, 2% for the third best, and 1% each for the fourth through sixth highest rating.

In my opinion, it would balance out having to boost players stats unrealistically to have a player who can play everywhere well being better than someone who's just as good in their own position but not anywhere else.

Of course, it's just a suggestion, and the exact numbers would need a lot of balancing to make each player fairly rated. Just feel like the overall should be affected in some way by how well rounded a player is.

Thanks for all the great work!

Thanks for the comments mate. I think theres a strong argument for changing the way that the Overall rating is calculated & I'm in favor of doing that in 2019.

Position ratings are trickier though. What we saw in PC2011, and what we're trying to get away from is cases where a guy is say an 85 IM, but is somehow less effective on gameday than an 80 IM. The new simulation runs between 1500-1800 contests in a match currently, and as an inside midfielder these guys are using their contestedball skill for a lot of those. Tying the frequency that a skill is used in the match to the weighting in the position rating is key, and what i think is greatly improved for 2019.

Sub7ekjr

Rookie
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks for the comments mate. I think theres a strong argument for changing the way that the Overall rating is calculated & I'm in favor of doing that in 2019.

Position ratings are trickier though. What we saw in PC2011, and what we're trying to get away from is cases where a guy is say an 85 IM, but is somehow less effective on gameday than an 80 IM. The new simulation runs between 1500-1800 contests in a match currently, and as an inside midfielder these guys are using their contestedball skill for a lot of those. Tying the frequency that a skill is used in the match to the weighting in the position rating is key, and what i think is greatly improved for 2019.

Do the contests still involve those other attributes? I definitely agree the most used stuff for those positions would be best for the biggest weightings position ratings. I wonder how FIFA does theirs?

Honestly, long as the overall rating reflects more than just the best position rating, I think the position ratings would be fine as it is. Testing will tell ya whether it works anyway, and there's always room to change it if need be I guess.

Keep up the good work!

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do the contests still involve those other attributes? I definitely agree the most used stuff for those positions would be best for the biggest weightings position ratings. I wonder how FIFA does theirs?

Honestly, long as the overall rating reflects more than just the best position rating, I think the position ratings would be fine as it is. Testing will tell ya whether it works anyway, and there's always room to change it if need be I guess.

Keep up the good work!

They fall into a couple of categories, either directly contributing to the player winning a contest (contested ball, marking, ruck etc), or applied as an advantage to the next contest in the chain.

So, a player kicking to a marking contest had an advantage added for his team mate based on his Footskills. Outside midfielders end up getting a lot more uncontested ball, and the quality of delivery is what gives them value - so footskills is a more significant weighting in their position rating.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Two words - Moblie version.

That would be the bees knees but I’m seriously keen for an update AFL SIM

On the radar, but wont be 2019.Anything the game makes from Steam I plan to invest back into it & both the mobile and online versions are where I'd look to pay for skills. Still images for the desktop version is another.

RapidCartoon

Draftee
Aug 27, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey Grenville !
First of all can't tell you how much joy it brings me to see you developing a 2019 premiership coach, honestly have racked up hundreds of hours on 2011 and have had endless fun with it.

I'd love to put my hand up to help out in anyway I can be that with the stats of players or stat records, etc. Unfortunately don't have any real script experience but if I don't need much experience then I'm all for helping! You developing this for free for the bigfooty community it'd be the least I can do and lend some help.

Also thought I'd bounce a couple of things about 2011 off you, I'm not sure how much you're basing the new one off the old one so thought id mention these... usually when I play and sim I like to play a save for up to 50 years and have noticed after 3-4 seasons the draft emails and the recruits that are researched by my scouts are previous players from previous drafts and when the draft starts I don't actually have information for some of the actual new draftees for that season, even the interviews become pointless because for some reason I can only interview past players and only the elite players of that draft? I'm sure you're probably already aware of it but thought id mention it.

Another thing was when you decided to hop over to another club it didn't matter where you came that year for your previous club it automatically recorded it as a wooden spoon year lost a couple of premierships to my name in some saves haha but once again Im sure these are all bugs you're aware of.

Would love to be a tester too if you ever required some!

Once again thanks for all your work mate! Top notch game, top notch bloke!

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’ve also been playing PC with yearly list updates since it’s release. Not sure if it has been mentioned but I would love the trading to be reworked with added depth. Players should request trades due to lack of opportunities, home state or if salary cap restraints; better money. When building a dynasty on the current game it is too easy to front load contracts and never have to worry about the cap. Obviously with free agency being implemented the trading won’t be as vital to recruiting.

Small defenders and small forwards growth is seriously flawed as well, of all the countless saves I gone through only once have I had a small defender rated 90 with Oliver Graham; number 1 draft pick with peak 99 originally. Frustrating as it takes them 5 years to improve to a decent overall but always seem to fall short of their originally peak.

Love your work Grenville. Happy to assist in anyway, even if it’s just player ratings.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey Grenville !
First of all can't tell you how much joy it brings me to see you developing a 2019 premiership coach, honestly have racked up hundreds of hours on 2011 and have had endless fun with it.

I'd love to put my hand up to help out in anyway I can be that with the stats of players or stat records, etc. Unfortunately don't have any real script experience but if I don't need much experience then I'm all for helping! You developing this for free for the bigfooty community it'd be the least I can do and lend some help.

Also thought I'd bounce a couple of things about 2011 off you, I'm not sure how much you're basing the new one off the old one so thought id mention these... usually when I play and sim I like to play a save for up to 50 years and have noticed after 3-4 seasons the draft emails and the recruits that are researched by my scouts are previous players from previous drafts and when the draft starts I don't actually have information for some of the actual new draftees for that season, even the interviews become pointless because for some reason I can only interview past players and only the elite players of that draft? I'm sure you're probably already aware of it but thought id mention it.

Another thing was when you decided to hop over to another club it didn't matter where you came that year for your previous club it automatically recorded it as a wooden spoon year lost a couple of premierships to my name in some saves haha but once again Im sure these are all bugs you're aware of.

Would love to be a tester too if you ever required some!

Once again thanks for all your work mate! Top notch game, top notch bloke!

Cheers mate, and didnt know about some of that. No distributor pressure over deadlines this time around so testing/bug fixes for long running careers definitely something that I'll do a better job of. I shot you a PM with forum details so you can join int discussion during development and get involved in testing for sure.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’ve also been playing PC with yearly list updates since it’s release. Not sure if it has been mentioned but I would love the trading to be reworked with added depth. Players should request trades due to lack of opportunities, home state or if salary cap restraints; better money. When building a dynasty on the current game it is too easy to front load contracts and never have to worry about the cap. Obviously with free agency being implemented the trading won’t be as vital to recruiting.

Small defenders and small forwards growth is seriously flawed as well, of all the countless saves I gone through only once have I had a small defender rated 90 with Oliver Graham; number 1 draft pick with peak 99 originally. Frustrating as it takes them 5 years to improve to a decent overall but always seem to fall short of their originally peak.

Love your work Grenville. Happy to assist in anyway, even if it’s just player ratings.

New player model will change all that with the SF and SB. Will want plenty of feedback and help in balancing that but the limitations that caused those issues in Pc2011 are now gone.

Would love to talk more about the trading side of things & what you'd change. Everything is on the table really at this point. I sent you an invite to discuss in more detail.

Sub7ekjr

Rookie
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You want to be able to flag player as ineligible for selection?
Not that guy, but that would be good. Would let us flag out of form or suspension prone players when assistant selecting a team. Or even if we want to rest a player for a game, but still want the assistant coach to work out the best positions for everyone else.

I like that idea

Not that guy, but that would be good. Would let us flag out of form or suspension prone players when assistant selecting a team. Or even if we want to rest a player for a game, but still want the assistant coach to work out the best positions for everyone else.

I like that idea
Thank you for answering. For example, Ruckmans always get selected at Foward Pocket. Instead a small forward or key forward would be better

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thank you for answering. For example, Ruckmans always get selected at Foward Pocket. Instead a small forward or key forward would be better

That was definitely a limitation in PC2019 with the position based contests the sim relied on certain selection patterns. Thats all been changed up with the new systems, and selection algorithm is improved.

Being able to flag someone as ineligible is achievable with not too much effort & something I can look at.

That was definitely a limitation in PC2019 with the position based contests the sim relied on certain selection patterns. Thats all been changed up with the new systems, and selection algorithm is improved.

Being able to flag someone as ineligible is achievable with not too much effort & something I can look at.
having a meeting end of season discussing whether the player should play on or be traded or delisted. Would be interesting

BigKep

Senior List
Jul 15, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I too am one of those people who has spent hundreds of hours playing the game. I actually think the trade system is quite realistic in PC2011. It's just a matter of adding free agency into the mix.

I agree that player development is something that needs looking into. Midfielders, Tall defenders, small defenders and small forwards seldom realise their full potential, while Rucks and tall forwards often will exceed what their potential says.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back