Autopsy 2018 Review articles and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to the host of end of year review and autopsy articles that will come, so I thought I'd pop one in starting with this one from the crew over at The Mongrel Punt.
https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2018/8/30/off-season-preview-brisbane
It’s not unreasonable to suggest that the Brisbane Lions are working ahead of schedule, after a reasonably successful 2018 that saw development and improvement across the playing list individually, and a game plan starting to come together that can trouble the best of teams. A spine of Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner, Dayne Zorko, Daniel McStay and Eric Hipwood looks set to trouble teams for a decade to come, and you feel like Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Alex Witherden could be on the cusp of taking the next step to becoming elite players.

Is it unreasonable to suggest if Brisbane get this off-season right, they’re a smokey to finish in the top 4 in season 2019? No obvious holes that need immediate addressing (Josh Walker and Oscar McInerney are stop-gaps, but filling their roles as spare talls more than adequately), and perhaps another good user of the ball out of the back 50 can’t hurt. Nonetheless, an additional quality midfielder into the mix (and with Dayne Beams now committing to stay in Queensland), and we’re talking a legitimate threat all of a sudden.

Great thread idea Dave.

Largely a good article except for a couple of suggestions.

1) Dayne Zorko will not be part of our spine for the next decade.
2) The Brendan Goddard recruitment? Really:huh:, I'd bet Dodongo's last remaining nut that it would not be a consideration, a very poor mans Luke Hodge.
3) Floating the idea that we could be top 4 in 2019 may be a tad optimistic.

2) The Brendan Goddard recruitment? Really:huh:, I'd bet Dodongo's last remaining nut that it would not be a consideration, a very poor mans Luke Hodge.
Can’t agree more. We already have a much loved senior general who’s one of the boys and just happens to be the most successful captain of the past decade. Why would we want someone in similar but much inferior mould (ie. grumpy, devisive, and not a 4-time premiership player!!).

Not sure that lightning will strike twice with respect to the “Hodge move”. To add another metaphor, how often do the planets align that a player has:

- 300+ games
- multiple premierships
- a decade of exceptional leadership experience
- exposure to the best coaching system around
- a strong relationship with another club’s coach
- a desire to play on beyond his best years
- enough physical fitness to still compete
- a willingness to play for a poorly performed club
- the capability to coach and play at the same time

I honestly can’t think of a single player in the comp who ticks all the boxes Hodge does. Perhaps you don’t need the full suite of what Hodge offers but I think it’s a role for a fairly unique individual and not just any veteran who wants to keep running around at AFL level.

I also think we don’t need another Hodge. Talk of us chasing Roughead doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. There are diminishing returns for this type of stuff and adding another “player-coach” veteran to the list would add minimal value beyond what Hodge already gives.

3) Floating the idea that we could be top 4 in 2019 may be a tad optimistic.

Don't say that. I was hoping to finally make use of the September member upgrade that I've been buying all these years

Great thread.

Top four is extremely blue sky for even the most invested, rusted-on Lions supporter to contemplate except in their daydreams or under the influence of strong beverages. Top four may be in our future but not in the short term. We need more development, more depth and more time.

Moving out of the bottom four - six is the first order of business and that is achievable but no certainty next year. A lower mid-table finish (10-13) would be a good outcome. Anything better than that is probably under par for us at this stage with our current list.

I have not been paying it, all of these years.
But I might start!
I don't know if it's still the case but when I first purchased mine they had a limit on the number of September members they were issuing. It guarantees you a seat at the GF should the Lions make it so I'd say there is a limit.

Maybe you should get in as soon as the renewals come out to avoid the bandwagon September members rush when we start surging towards the top 4 next year.

afl.com review from this morning- Concise and accurate IMO, written by fish.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-01/state-of-the-afl-nation-wheres-your-club-at

BL-header.png

Draft picks: 4, 22, 40, 58, 76

Delistings: The Lions won't make these official until their NEAFL team has been eliminated. Tom Bell, Rohan Bewick, Liam Dawson and Marco Paparone would all be nervous, as would rookie Claye Beams.

Retirees: No one in this category. Only Stefan Martin and Luke Hodge are in the 'over 30s' bracket and both are playing on in 2019.

Medical room: Livewire Charlie Cameron has almost fully recovered from the Lisfranc injury that cut his season short and will be fine to start day one of pre-season. Darcy Gardiner will have the biggest setback following shoulder surgery, running during pre-season but not back to full contact work until the New Year. Mitch Hinge (shoulder) is in the same boat. Matt Eagles will also be right for pre-season after overcoming groin surgery.

Free agents unsigned: Rohan Bewick, Ryan Lester

Best and fairest: September 1, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre

The coach: Another excellent season for Chris Fagan resulted in a contract extension that will keep him at the club until 2021. Has helped tighten up the defence by more than six goals over two seasons and seen the percentage rise from 61 to 89.

Footy staff: The current staff is going well. The coaching unit is cohesive and the medical and high performance staff have had a phenomenal two seasons, helping the Lions to one of the lowest injury rates in the AFL.

Off-field health: The biggest concern is the failure to lock in funding for the proposed new training and administration facility at Springfield. State and federal governments continue to delay their contributions, although the Lions are confident the money will come. On a positive note, both crowds and membership numbers have risen strongly.

Needs: Another established midfielder or two and a running half-back should be top of the shopping list. Lachie Neale is in the crosshairs, while free agent Mitch Wallis is also a target.

Pre-season starts: First-to-four year players return on November 5 and the rest of the squad on November 19. - Michael Whiting

Lachie Neale would make a massive impact in Brisbane's midfield. Picture: AFL Photos
Lachie%20Neale.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/09/01/brisbane-must-stop-the-go-home-factor/
alls are growing for Brisbane to consider its position on Dayne Beams’s trade potential.

For some, this is purely a transactional, non-emotional equation. For others, who have followed the club for years and live and breathe the roar of the Gabba, it is quite another.

For the rest, who wonder what it would be like following an expansion club in Queensland – Brisbane was expended 31 years ago and relocated to Gabba 26 years ago – allow me to give you an insight.

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail
The Lions must keep Dayne to his contract.

This year followers of all clubs have deeply etched emotions over the relinquishing of the captaincy and the interviews and stories of Dayne’s wrestle with heavy grief over the loss of his father to cancer.

Chris Fagan season review part 1-

The man makes me exube (I don’t think thats a word?) confidence for the years ahead and it is so easy to see how he would do the same to any player who plays for him. I have no doubt he is a good part of the reason that Lachie Neale is wanting in.
And his game will go to another level as a result.
Bring on 2019!!!!

The man makes me exube (I don’t think thats a word?) confidence for the years ahead and it is so easy to see how he would do the same to any player who plays for him. I have no doubt he is a good part of the reason that Lachie Neale is wanting in.
And his game will go to another level as a result.
Bring on 2019!!!!

Close; exude.;)

Wish the players spoke in their player review videos. Bit of self reflection. Answer questions like these:
What were you proudest of with your games/development/play this year?
What’s the most important part of the Lions brand of footy to you?
With vision to accompany what they say.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back