THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

where are the mods when you need them
Come on! Is the joke that bad? I know it could be better, but is it necessary calling the mods?!o_O

Let's laugh a bit, please. The joke was irresistible for me...

Last edited:

I was going to until I received a Dossier of allegations he was colluding with Norwood

Damn it. I was just joining the Norwood theme. KT, BASS, Rhode before.

I’ll be back bigger and better this year.

I used to watch and read a fair bit of Wayne Goldsmith last decade, but not so much the last 4 or 5 years. He is/was known as the sports coaching brain, mentored a lot of coaches, and works with a lot of national and international organisations and has branched out to do business coaching/mentoring.

https://wgcoaching.com/
International sports coach Wayne Goldsmith has influenced the coaching, thinking and teaching of some of the world’s leading athletes, coaches and teams. His client list includes: United States Olympic Committee, Sydney Roosters NRL, Tennis Australia, Australian Rugby Union/Wallabies, Singapore Sports Council, Swimming South Africa, United Kingdom Sports Institute, Sport New Zealand and more.

This is his take on sport boards after working with many organisations board's.
https://wgcoaching.com/building-boa...-board-for-a-sporting-organisation/#more-1391
One of the most critical initiatives any sporting organisation can undergo is the Building of the Board.

As the Board provides strategic direction, leadership and vision to the organisation, it is essential to consider the P-P-P of the Board, i.e.:

• The quality of the People who sit on the Board – who they are;
  • The Professionalism of the people who sit on the Board – what skills, knowledge and experience they bring to the Board;
  • The Practices of the people who sit on the Board – what they do and how they do it.
Seems simple enough, but why do so many get it so wrong?
Having dealt with sporting Boards all over the world, here are five commonly used sporting Board models that we all know do not work and are doomed to fail:

1. The “this Club is my personal play-thing” Board: Happens most often in start up and new professional sporting franchises where a bunch of local business leaders (who are fans of the sport) apply for a license to start up a new team because they have lots of money and are looking for a “new toy” to play with;
  2. The “we have ten Member Associations so we must have ten Board members” Board: The most common Board structure in Olympic sports around the world. Also one of the biggest problems in Olympic sport around the world because everyone acts in the interest of the State, Province or group they represent;
  3. The “we know nothing about sport but we will have a go”Board; This Board structure pops up from time to time when sports are under financial pressure. The sport looks to recruit new Board members who are community and business leaders to drive the Board hoping they will bring in broad knowledge in marketing, finance, business practices etc. However, Board members may have little or no real understanding of the unique needs and culture of sport / the sport;
  4. The “we know nothing about business but we will have a go”Board: Often a transitionary sporting Board model when amateur sports turn professional and the existing Board members lack the business skills, knowledge and experience to take the sport into the new professional era;
  5. The “I played the sport when I was at school and know everything there is to know about the sport” Board: Another common Board model where amateurs get involved running the sport using knowledge and beliefs that may be 20 years out of date. A frustrating Board to deal with if you are a CEO or Head Coach of a professional team.
No matter what Board model you use, the critical components of a great sporting Board are:
  • Vision;
  • Leadership;
  • Professionalism;
  • Objectivity;
  • The ability to think and act strategically;
  • And….the commitment to keep their nose out of the daily operations of the organisation.
Without doubt, the biggest problems in sporting organisations occur when people cross the lines that define the clarity of roles and responsibilities.

You recruit players to play, coaches to coach, doctors to provide medical support and CEOs to manage – let them do their job – and let Board members do theirs – that is, to provide consistently high quality strategic leadership with real vision.

Here’s a really great 7 member Board model for sporting organisations to adopt:
  • Enlist 2 people who really know the game, understand it’s nature and the unique culture of the sport – as it is today: they bring relevance; [We have Fiachi and Haslam]
  • 2 people from within the sporting industry but outside the gameitself who understand sport and what has / hasn’t worked with other sports but who are not constrained by the limitations, history and traditions of the specific sport they will be leading: they bring abroad, balanced, sports industry perspective; [Osborn - basketball background]
  • 2 people from outside of sport who understand business, finance, marketing, success and winning but who are not constrained by the limitations, history and traditions of the sporting industry; they bring objectivity, sustainability and growth; [Ranson, Vanstone, Cardone, Thiele, Restas]
  • plus 1 real Leader – with real vision, understanding, knowledge and passion to see the sport become the best in the world: he / she brings leadership, vision and a strategic approach to the future success of the organisation. [Koch]
What do the people on your Board bring?

Wayne Goldsmith

Last edited:
I used to watch and read a fair bit of Wayne Goldsmith last decade, but not so much the last 4 or 5 years. He is known as the sports coach, mentored a lot of coaches, and works with a lot of national and international organisations and has branched out to do business coaching/mentoring.

<Snip>
That’s a really interesting post RussellEbertHandball...thanks for sharing - I won’t venture an opinion here on the quality of the Port Board but I reckon that template is pretty spot on and there’d be many clubs (and I’d include the Crows in that) who would be found wanting.

No point whinging about the board if no one is prepared to put a ticket together and challenge the board. Hell it worked for Richmond! Got a flag the next year after a challenge.

We can't form tickets.

The closest thing we have is 2 member-elected board positions (out of 10) that can be vetoed by the AFL anyway.

So say we elect a hell-raiser who wins in a landslide and pledges to shake things up, clunk heads together and generally agitate for change. Inevitably what will happen is Koch putting in a call to Gill and it's vetotown.

Did you know Holly Ransom, self-styled disruptor-extraordinare, interviewed Barack Obama once? So there's still hope.

We can't form tickets.

The closest thing we have is 2 member-elected board positions (out of 10) that can be vetoed by the AFL anyway.

So say we elect a hell-raiser who wins in a landslide and pledges to shake things up, clunk heads together and generally agitate for change. Inevitably what will happen is Koch putting in a call to Gill and it's vetotown.

Did you know Holly Ransom, self-styled disruptor-extraordinare, interviewed Barack Obama once? So there's still hope.
Dont think being a desciple of Hussien Obozo is a plus.

The irony being that Holly was meant to improve supporter engagement with millennials. I don't think it's ever been worse.
Winning would improve supporter engagement with millennials.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There does not appear to be a thread dedicated to ‘The PAFC Board of Directors’, so I’ve chosen this one - created after Holly’s appointment by Koch in 2016, in preference to more recent threads re Darren Cahill’s appointment by Koch and Gavin Wanganeen’s manufactured (by Koch) election as a director when he could have been appointed by Koch to replace one of the inactive directors and we then would have retained George Fiacchi and his unique bored-with-Koch-time-for-change outlook on the Club board.

The point of this post is to point out that even after a reasonably extended period, Darren Cahill and Gavin Wanganeen still do not have their mini profiles appearing on the relevant page of the Club website.

This indicates apathy / inefficiency / overwork practised by 1) the PAFC Media department, 2) the PAFC Marketing department, 3) the PAFC Communications department (which does not yet exist), 4) the PAFC Board secretary, 5) the PAFC CEO, 6) the PAFC chairman (Koch), 7) PAFC in toto.

Surely I am not the only one who has noticed / expected / been watching for this.

DAVID KOCH - CHAIRMAN
Profession: Co-host, Sunrise (Channel 7);
Executive Chairman, Pinstripe Media
Chairman, Port Adelaide Football Club 2012 - current
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club 2012 - current
Patron, Koch Centre for Youth and Learning

KEVIN OSBORN - DEPUTY CHAIRMAN
Profession: Company Director
Deputy Chairman, Port Adelaide Football Club 2011 - current
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club 2011 - current
Chairman, VUCA Pty Ltd
Chairman, Beerenberg Farm Advisory Board
Director, Accounting Professional and Ethical Standards Board
Chairman, Fisher Graham Limited
Director, Nut Producers Australia
Chairman, Osada Pty Ltd
Director, Aboriginal Basketball Academy
Fellow, former board member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
Fellow Institute of Public Accountants

DARREN CAHILL - DIRECTOR

(blank)

COS CARDONE - DIRECTOR
Profession: Chief Executive Officer, McGuire Media
Director, JAM TV Australia
Director, Laduma Asia Pacific
Master of Business Administration, University of South Australia

ROSS HASLAM - DIRECTOR
Profession: Consultant - Strategic and Risk Management; Company Director
Director, South Australia Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI)
Risk Management: SA Health, Adelaide City Council,Scotch College,SAHMRI
Fellow, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
B.E (Hons) University of Adelaide

HOLLY RANSOM - DIRECTOR
Profession: Chief Executive Officer, Emergent
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club 2016 - current
Co-Chair, United Nations Global Coalition of Young Women Entrepreneurs
Trustee, The Prince's Trust Australia
Director, Apache Group Holdings Pty Ltd
Director, Cox Architecture
Director, Layne Beachley's Aim for the Stars Foundation
Advisory Board Member, Victorian Police Commissioner’s Corporate Advisory Group
Advisory Board Member, RMIT University College of Business
Advisory Board Member, AFLW
Chair, G20 Youth Summit, 2014

JAMIE RESTAS - DIRECTOR
Profession: Corporate Lawyer; Partner and National Head of Corporate, HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
Director - Adelaide Botanic Gardens and State Herbarium 2015 - current
Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
Member, Law Society of South Australia

TREVOR THIELE - DIRECTOR
Profession: Chartered Accountant; Company Director
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club 2011 - current
Director, Port Adelaide Football Club (SANFL) 2007 - 2010
Director, The Port Club 2012 - current
Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia & NZ
Chairman, YMCA South Australia Inc, 2011 - current
Director, Nexgen Energy Ltd 2012 - current
Director, Iso Energy Ltd, 2016 - current
Director, NxGold Ltd, 2017 - current

AMANDA VANSTONE - DIRECTOR
Director, Drinkwise Australia
Board Member, Lockheed Martin Australia
Director, Adelaide Festival
Chair, Royal Flying Doctor Service Federation Board
Chair, Vision 2020
Chair, Woomera Prohibited Area Advisory Board
Chair, Advisory Board of Governors Institute for International Trade University of Adelaide Course
Chair, Advisory Board Samstag Museum
Member, National Commission of Audit 2013 - 2014
Hutt Street Centre Patron
Ambassador to Italy 2007 - 2010lp
Senator for South Australia 1984 - 2007
Minister 1996 - 2007
Member, Foundation Board of World Anti-Doping Authority 2000

GAVIN WANGANEEN - DIRECTOR

(blank)

Whatever the reason/s it makes you wonder why, it's only natural because it's unusual.
None of your possible reasons are comforting and neither is where it takes my wandering wondering mind.

This indicates apathy / inefficiency / overwork practised by 1) the PAFC Media department, 2) the PAFC Marketing department, 3) the PAFC Communications department (which does not yet exist), 4) the PAFC Board secretary, 5) the PAFC CEO, 6) the PAFC chairman (Koch), 7) PAFC in toto.
While i agree it's poor, it's surely not the responsibility of everyone on that list to publish a profile.

... The point of this post is to point out that even after a reasonably extended period, Darren Cahill and Gavin Wanganeen still do not have their mini profiles appearing on the relevant page of the Club website. ....
As they are both just puppets of the great Kochmeister their mini profiles are irrelevant, apparently.

Unfortunately the signs are there that Koch has selected some board members to suit his personal requirements, and in the process has squeezed out at least one dissenter.
If he gets it (has got it ) wrong, the self proclaimed `professional bull shitter' may just be the biggest fraud the club has ever had.

While i agree it's poor, it's surely not the responsibility of everyone on that list to publish a profile.
Agreed. I omitted ‘or’ accidentally on purpose.

It’s the direct responsibility of the Media Department to maintain a best in the AFL website, and it’s the responsibility of the PAFC Board secretary (Executive Assistant to the CEO and the Board) to ensure that essential data concerning new, and old, directors is made available in timely fashion to the members and supporters via the Club conduits set up for the purpose.

However, the fact that neither of these two directly responsible entities did their job, it then becomes the responsibility of someone else to check their work and point out imperfections. It would appear that ‘someone else’ doesn’t agree with this extra responsibility or just doesn’t do it.

Net result is yet another imperfection in the running of the PAFC ... and certain disrespect shown towards the two new members of the Board.

Holly has just been awarded a Fullbright scholarship to Harvard. Kennedy School of Government if I heard it correctly (source: her own announcement on Linkedin). No mention of timeframe or of shuffling other commitments around but maybe there's a board position opening up?

Last time I checked (yes really, blame booze and an inquiring mind) the other side of the world from Adelaide is about 50kms offshore from Boston.

So fans can discuss her contributions to the board over the last few years... and haters will have to be content with time and distance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back