Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
Oh you know what I meant! I was specifically talking about the Hawks game. If he played well we probably win, he's just that vital to our success now. His decision making or lack thereof led to 3 goals. He had a shocker but he'll bounce back. No way am I writing him off as some are suggesting just calling him out on a terrible performance in a crucial game.

Haha yes I did.
Wasn't in the best of moods when I woke up this morning and it really kinda shows in my earlier posts :oops: Apologies.

Watching the low light reel you could wonder how he got to 27 games.
Can’t have it both ways though, he got plaudits for his game against Daw so when he spuds it up it comes back the other way.

No. You shouldn't do low lights for anyone, let alone an inexperienced player. That's shitty form by CH7.

https://outline.com/xBdLJp
Sydney Swans star Aliir Aliir says he wants to change stereotypes about Sudanese youth
AUGUST 31, 2018SUDANESE sensation Aliir Aliir has broken down barriers on the field and now wants to change stereotypes without a Sherrin in his hands as well.
The Sydney Swans star admits he's been deeply hurt by some of the comments made about African gang violence in Melbourne this year and as he prepares for his second finals series, he says the issue has motivated him to become a more active role model in the community.
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton claimed in January that Victorians were "scared to go out to restaurants" due to "African gang violence".
Aliir has grown enormously for the Swans this season after he was virtually banished from the AFL side last year due to injury, form and disciplinary issues.
His exile was a surprise given how strongly he performed for Sydney in the 2016 finals.

Rather than look for excuses, Aliir said he embraced the Swans'; culture and resolved to work harder.

I dont think I have ever seen this board flip the switch on a player after one game quite like what is happening in this thread.

Really?

Go back and re-read the ‘Dean the Difference Towers’ threads

Forwards and backwards flips that would make PT Barnum proud for a start

Sydney Swans star Aliir Aliir says he wants to change stereotypes about Sudanese youth
AUGUST 31, 2018SUDANESE sensation Aliir Aliir has broken down barriers on the field and now wants to change stereotypes without a Sherrin in his hands as well.
The Sydney Swans star admits he's been deeply hurt by some of the comments made about African gang violence in Melbourne this year and as he prepares for his second finals series, he says the issue has motivated him to become a more active role model in the community.
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton claimed in January that Victorians were "scared to go out to restaurants" due to "African gang violence".
Aliir has grown enormously for the Swans this season after he was virtually banished from the AFL side last year due to injury, form and disciplinary issues.
His exile was a surprise given how strongly he performed for Sydney in the 2016 finals.

Rather than look for excuses, Aliir said he embraced the Swans'; culture and resolved to work harder.
Great article, sounds like he has a brilliant attitude to both life and football, good on him!

As someone who lives in the western suburbs of Melbourne and works in the criminal justice system, I can tell you categorically that people of Sudanese ethnicity make a disproportionate amount of the more violent youth offenders in the state of Victoria. The issue will not be addressed by simply denying there is a problem and by implying or accusing those attempting to speak about the issue of being racist.

I agree with aliir that unfortunate, the youth crime issue in Victoria, does invite racists to stereotype all members of the Sudanese community as being involved in this criminal acts. Further, it undermines the work of those that attempt to fix the Sudanese youth issue in Melbourne.

It’s great to see aliir step up and be a role model for his community. I only hope that he does so from a position of objectivity and clarity. His willingness and motivation to help his community and more broadly our society should be commended.

Saw this article on afl.com.au listing Aliir Aliir as having the best one-on-one loss rate for defenders in the afl this year:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-11/oneonone-kings-who-rarely-loses-a-contest

Only lost 5 of 46 contests (10.9%), next best was 15.1%
His stats tell the story. Aliir is the best centre half back in the comp. Not potentially but the best. That he can play on and deliver the ball with Franklin at centre half forward should give us a clue as to the style of play that we should use next season. Direct, play on quickly and move the ball through the corridor. Longmire has the spine to use that style of play where in past years we didn't. Surely its time for the coach to shape the game plan to the abilities and styles of the players he has been gifted. I wont even mention the travesty of playing Aliir in the reserves for 12 months. O dear. Well there you go I mentioned it.

As someone who lives in the western suburbs of Melbourne and works in the criminal justice system, I can tell you categorically that people of Sudanese ethnicity make a disproportionate amount of the more violent youth offenders in the state of Victoria. The issue will not be addressed by simply denying there is a problem and by implying or accusing those attempting to speak about the issue of being racist.

I agree with aliir that unfortunate, the youth crime issue in Victoria, does invite racists to stereotype all members of the Sudanese community as being involved in this criminal acts. Further, it undermines the work of those that attempt to fix the Sudanese youth issue in Melbourne.

It’s great to see aliir step up and be a role model for his community. I only hope that he does so from a position of objectivity and clarity. His willingness and motivation to help his community and more broadly our society should be commended.
Perhaps seeing you have raised it and at the risk of going off topic I may reply? And those who use his example at the UN to show what a wonderful compassionate country we are and then to win elections dog whistle can be more responsible. This is a two way street. I attend a Congolese church and am regularly furious and frustrated at the monkey gibes and the racism they endure. The real test isn't Aliir. Its the grubs that booed Adam Goodes. Hopefully as Aliir enjoys the success and recognition he and his mother deserve he doesn't have to endure the open and closet racism of football crowds. Don't worry about Aliir lets look in our own backyard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The dog whistling from Dutton and others is dire.

Yes Sudanese background teens are over represented in crime stats, so are teens from poorer Euro background families and Aboriginal kids.

No surprise there.

His stats tell the story. Aliir is the best centre half back in the comp. Not potentially but the best. That he can play on and deliver the ball with Franklin at centre half forward should give us a clue as to the style of play that we should use next season. Direct, play on quickly and move the ball through the corridor. Longmire has the spine to use that style of play where in past years we didn't. Surely its time for the coach to shape the game plan to the abilities and styles of the players he has been gifted. I wont even mention the travesty of playing Aliir in the reserves for 12 months. O dear. Well there you go I mentioned it.

I think there is some revisionism here.

In 2017 Aliir had injury issues through pre-season that effected him throughout the year. After the initial injury issues across the whole team at the start of the year we ended up settlign on Grundy, Melican and Rampe as our defensive pillars and went on one of the best runs of form the club has ever had. The winning system wasn't messed with. Aliir was supposed to get back in to the team in Rd 7, but he blew it with his missed training session.

His first game this year was pretty rubbish. He managed just the 5 disposals with a disposal efficiency more than 20% off his average in the back end of the season. It was deemed not good enough and he went back to the NEAFL. He was made to earn his way back in to the team, and he did.

I don't think this is the story of inept player selection you are making it out to be.

In 2017 Aliir had injury issues through pre-season that effected him throughout the year. After the initial injury issues across the whole team at the start of the year we ended up settlign on Grundy, Melican and Rampe as our defensive pillars and went on one of the best runs of form the club has ever had. The winning system wasn't messed with. Aliir was supposed to get back in to the team in Rd 7, but he blew it with his missed training session.

His first game this year was pretty rubbish. He managed just the 5 disposals with a disposal efficiency more than 20% off his average in the back end of the season. It was deemed not good enough and he went back to the NEAFL. He was made to earn his way back in to the team, and he did.

I don't think this is the story of inept player selection you are making it out to be.

Ahem. Horse played him forwardl in that match. I doubt Papley would be much chop as a ruckman.

With respect that is exactly what I am alleging. Yes he did suffer an injury. He was dropped when others who played an ordinary game against Carlton were retained. My point is that he is/was a [player of enormous potential and talent. You don't consign those players to the reserves. I don't believe the story of his banishment due to missing training - actually he was late. David King set the reasons out for his banishment to the NEAFL very clearly. I believe that story. The attempt to play him as a ruckman and a forward was absurd. Why on earth would any coach want to convert an outstanding defender into a forward and a ruckman? Well Longmire apparently did. The reason and I think this is pretty obvious was that Aliir has an instinctive attacking style of play which simply didn't fit the Longmire system. Longmire has been gifted two outstanding key position players yet has persisted with a negative game plan that suits neither. Personally I would like a coach to fashion the game plan around the unique abilities and styles of his players. Longmire hasn't and probably wont. The really interesting thing is that the 2018 statistics are a damning indictment of Longmire dropping him. No doubt the Longmire defenders will claim that Aliirs form picked up magically when Longmire eventually plucked him out of the NEAFL. At this point words fail me.

The really interesting thing is that the 2018 statistics are a damning indictment of Longmire dropping him. No doubt the Longmire defenders will claim that Aliirs form picked up magically when Longmire eventually plucked him out of the NEAFL. At this point words fail me.
No “Longmire defender” has said or indicated anything of the sort.

Nothing magical about it, he built up his form in the NEAFL in 2018 post injury to the point it was at the level required for AFL football. The 2018 statistics are an example of this patience for him to reach this level and maintain it rather than bring him back into defence before he was ready and dent his confidence.

He was so upset with how this was handled like this that he signed a new 3 year deal with the club....

It all depends on your perspective I suppose....

No “Longmire defender” has said or indicated anything of the sort.

Nothing magical about it, he built up his form in the NEAFL in 2018 post injury to the point it was at the level required for AFL football. The 2018 statistics are an example of this patience for him to reach this level and maintain it rather than bring him back into defence before he was ready and dent his confidence.

He was so upset with how this was handled like this that he signed a new 3 year deal with the club....

It all depends on your perspective I suppose....
From what I saw of the NEAFL in 2018 re. Aliir he was played everywhere except centre half back. They either played him defensively deep, in the ruck or on the forward line. The attempt to make him a forward by Longmire (who else would be finally responsible) should be an indictment on Longmire's coaching. He had/has the best centre half back either in potential or reality (my personal opinion) and he is playing him everywhere except centre half back. Some people here suggest that Longmire didn't "trust" Aliir in the central defender role. The truth is Aliir didn't fit the ultra-defensive pattern that Longmire employed on the back line. The turning point came not with Aliir allegedly finding form but with the cup of coffee the angry garden gnome had with the polo player courtesy of Jeff Kennett. The defensive teaming of Grundy (or Smith or Mills or whoever) blocking for Rampe was umpired out of the game. Aliir was brought back by necessity.
As for why he re-signed for an extension I sincerely hope it was for considerably more money. I was rubbished (not whinging fair enough) here for suggesting he was on 500,000 a season. Well if he wasn't with the first contract I would suggest he is now if not more.

From what I saw of the NEAFL in 2018 re. Aliir he was played everywhere except centre half back. They either played him defensively deep, in the ruck or on the forward line. The attempt to make him a forward by Longmire (who else would be finally responsible) should be an indictment on Longmire's coaching. He had/has the best centre half back either in potential or reality (my personal opinion) and he is playing him everywhere except centre half back. Some people here suggest that Longmire didn't "trust" Aliir in the central defender role. The truth is Aliir didn't fit the ultra-defensive pattern that Longmire employed on the back line. The turning point came not with Aliir allegedly finding form but with the cup of coffee the angry garden gnome had with the polo player courtesy of Jeff Kennett. The defensive teaming of Grundy (or Smith or Mills or whoever) blocking for Rampe was umpired out of the game. Aliir was brought back by necessity.
As for why he re-signed for an extension I sincerely hope it was for considerably more money. I was rubbished (not whinging fair enough) here for suggesting he was on 500,000 a season. Well if he wasn't with the first contract I would suggest he is now if not more.

Aliir played perhaps 2-3 games in the forward / ruck mix at best. He was played deep as a defender to improve his one on one, which was a raging success!

Your conspiracy as to why he came in doesn’t mean he didn’t reach a level of form. I know for a fact he did reach that level and by coincidence... he was selected shortly after. I remember posting about it (as well as others), that he had ironed out some of the errors and was ready to play seniors!

If he was played deep in defence it was to force him into those one on one contests so he could improve.

We have very different perspectives. I think they have done a great job with Aliir. Each to their own.

Aliir played perhaps 2-3 games in the forward / ruck mix at best. He was played deep as a defender to improve his one on one, which was a raging success!

Your conspiracy as to why he came in doesn’t mean he didn’t reach a level of form. I know for a fact he did reach that level and by coincidence... he was selected shortly after. I remember posting about it (as well as others), that he had ironed out some of the errors and was ready to play seniors!

If he was played deep in defence it was to force him into those one on one contests so he could improve.

We have very different perspectives. I think they have done a great job with Aliir. Each to their own.
Fair enough I respect your opinion but don't agree. Aliir should have been in the team in 2017. In this game Aliir dominated and didn't get the Swans coaches vote. He was impassable and rebounded all night.
www.ntthunder.com.au/swans-outlast-thunder-friday-night-thriller-match-report-rd-5/
The NT coach at least recognised his dominance. No call up. So Longmire had the best potential centre half back in the comp playing in the seconds for at least a season. Great work.
If anyone has three hours to spare have a look at this and perhaps explain why Aliir wasn't playing in the firsts.

Last edited:
Fair enough I respect your opinion but don't agree. Aliir should have been in the team in 2017. In this game Aliir dominated and didn't get the Swans coaches vote. He was impassable and rebounded all night.
www.ntthunder.com.au/swans-outlast-thunder-friday-night-thriller-match-report-rd-5/
The NT coach at least recognised his dominance. No call up. So Longmire had the best potential centre half back in the comp playing in the seconds for at least a season. Great work.

Maybe he should have been in 2017 but from round 7 onwards we were one of the form teams so I can understand it would be difficult to force their way in. A mistake was however made late in the season when Melican got injured and Aliir should definitely have been selected.

He was very good that night I agree. Not sure why the NEAFL coaches didn’t include him in the votes.

Now, that NEAFL game was on 28th April if I have looked it up correctly. He WAS in fact selected the following week and that was the week he was withdrawn due to disciplinary reasons. That was the alarm clock / missed training episode. We only know what was reported in the media in regards to that, but there was probably a fair bit more than that I would expect. I wouldn’t think they would air the explicit details in the media.

However my point was that he was selected in seniors on the back of that game initially...

Edit: missing a training session without agreement for a professional football isn’t good enough. If I didn’t turn up to work for a day and didn’t inform anyone, I’d be in a fair bit of s**t. So I don’t necessarily disagree with disciplinary action on face value, that goes for any player.

Maybe he should have been in 2017 but from round 7 onwards we were one of the form teams so I can understand it would be difficult to force their way in. A mistake was however made late in the season when Melican got injured and Aliir should definitely have been selected.

He was very good that night I agree. Not sure why the NEAFL coaches didn’t include him in the votes.

Now, that NEAFL game was on 28th April if I have looked it up correctly. He WAS in fact selected the following week and that was the week he was withdrawn due to disciplinary reasons. That was the alarm clock / missed training episode. We only know what was reported in the media in regards to that, but there was probably a fair bit more than that I would expect. I wouldn’t think they would air the explicit details in the media.

However my point was that he was selected in seniors on the back of that game initially...

Edit: missing a training session without agreement for a professional football isn’t good enough. If I didn’t turn up to work for a day and didn’t inform anyone, I’d be in a fair bit of s**t. So I don’t necessarily disagree with disciplinary action on face value, that goes for any player.
I agree its not good enough. But dropping him from the selected team was way over the top. There are many other ways to enforce discipline. Dropping him penalised the team. And then to keep him out of the team was a travesty. Only one person bears responsibility - Longmire.

There was a time when I thought we weren't going to sign him up. What a monumental mistake that would've been if that had eventuated.
Just on a personal note. He described being born in the worst refugee camp in Africa as "lucky", lost his dad at age seven and was brought up by his mum in a large family. Came to Australia without any English and was inspired by Nic Natuini to take big marks. The journey he and his mum have made is just extraordinary. I am so proud of our great club that we gave him the chance and have him signed on a long term contract despite some grumbling of an old man. Love this club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back