Can you jump on your own teammates shoulders to touch the ball on the mark or goalline

Remove this Banner Ad

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Always wondered if youre allowed to jump on your own teammates shoulders to touch the ball....mark or goal line

What rule does it break

If you stood in goslsquare whats stopping a high leaping player from using his team mate as a step ladder....

This is one of the times I think common sense should prevail. If it's unorganised like a speccy on your own teammate then it's OK. If there's some element of organisation then ping them.
If you can disguise the tactic as unintentional then good for you.

This is one of the times I think common sense should prevail. If it's unorganised like a speccy on your own teammate then it's OK. If there's some element of organisation then ping them.
What rule would it breach ...I'm curious

Its not sportsmanship like

What can you ping them for....its your teammate.

I've pondered this before, usually while watching rugby and wondering if the lineout tactic of two guys launching a guy into the air could be used on the goal line.

Law 15.11(c):
A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or a Team where the field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player has lifted a Player or climbed on the shoulders of a Player from the same Team. This Free Kick shall be taken by a Player from the opposing Team where the infringement occurred or where the football is at the time of the infringement, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team.

The rule is prohibiting, effectively, deliberate and premeditated acts where one player actively hoists the other in the air, which I'd say is a fairly limited scope; I wouldn't think jumping on a teammate, even if they've decided in advance to let you do so, is really covered by it. (With that said, "climbed on the shoulders of" is ambiguous - I read it as actually sitting on their shoulders in order to be lifted, but another reading of the phrase could include jumping onto their shoulders...)

Law 15.11(c):
A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or a Team where the field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player has lifted a Player or climbed on the shoulders of a Player from the same Team. This Free Kick shall be taken by a Player from the opposing Team where the infringement occurred or where the football is at the time of the infringement, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team.

The rule is prohibiting, effectively, deliberate and premeditated acts where one player actively hoists the other in the air, which I'd say is a fairly limited scope; I wouldn't think jumping on a teammate, even if they've decided in advance to let you do so, is really covered by it. (With that said, "climbed on the shoulders of" is ambiguous - I read it as actually sitting on their shoulders in order to be lifted, but another reading of the phrase could include jumping onto their shoulders...)

I meant just run and jump like taking a speccie .....not lifting

Sorry to not make that clear

Heck yeah i wanna see someone do it then the rules committee can have something to change next year ha ha ha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Law 15.11(c):

That goes back to (from memory) an after the siren kick to win the game by Footscray's Beasley with the Bears player on the mark piggy backing a team mate with all the Brisbane fans on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back