hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The difference is that they are all just names, with perhaps a small amount of advertising around the place. This is going to feel like walking into a Marvel theme park.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...m/news-story/3d598f5db8b1c933220fe394c617896b

I go to the footy or soccer to actually watch the game. I'm not interested in seeing people dressed as comic book characters. It actually makes me less likely to want to take a child to a game, because they would just bug me to do all the fun super hero stuff. The proof will be in the pudding, but everything I've heard would suggest it absolutely will take away from the actual event itself.
Like I said, it's the next step. The Marvel stuff may attract but I don't see it being much different to a glorified half-time catch the ball to win a prize game or when the Nickelodeon things were going on at last year's BBL. There's only so much they can do when everyone is going specifically for an event.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
No matter what it is called, it is a horrible place to be with the roof closed. It is gloomy and the incessant noise especially at half time is enough to drive you mad. No wonder people become violent.
Pretty much. It is just Darklands. I have no good feeling about the joint at all. Only time the place has any worth to me is the very rare times in mid winter a twilight game on Saturday was played there. A day game there is completely stupid. Bulldoze the joint and will celebrate it gone.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
With the roof closed on a sunny day it feels like a grimy indoor cricket centre in Balcatta or Tuggeranong or similarly depressing location. Melbourne’s number one CBD planning crime.

That and putting an observation wheel where all you can observe is a suburban shopping centre, a freeway and a storm drain

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Since the AFL are now advertising Marvel more than their primary sponsor, Toyota, I can see the following happening as ridiculous as this sounds. Whenever there are 3 games in the one round at Docklands the AFL will force all 6 clubs involved and the umpires to run out in Marvel themed guernseys. And with the article I've just seen it looks like my worst fears are happening, that the AFL is going to go massively overboard on advertising Marvel at the stadium to make sure not a single person at the ground or on TV misses the Marvel advertising. When it came to naming rights partners advertising themselves at Docklands, Colonial was barely noticeable, then Telstra was a little more noticeable, then Etihad stepped up their advertising at the ground, and now it looks like the AFL are going to take advertising the naming rights partner to a level barely or never to my knowledge seen in sporting stadiums anywhere around the world.

Rant over

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Since the AFL are now advertising Marvel more than their primary sponsor, Toyota, I can see the following happening as ridiculous as this sounds. Whenever there are 3 games in the one round at Docklands the AFL will force all 6 clubs involved and the umpires to run out in Marvel themed guernseys. And with the article I've just seen it looks like my worst fears are happening, that the AFL is going to go massively overboard on advertising Marvel at the stadium to make sure not a single person at the ground or on TV misses the Marvel advertising. When it came to naming rights partners advertising themselves at Docklands, Colonial was barely noticeable, then Telstra was a little more noticeable, then Etihad stepped up their advertising at the ground, and now it looks like the AFL are going to take advertising the naming rights partner to a level barely or never to my knowledge seen in sporting stadiums anywhere around the world.

Rant over
Across all venues and games I doubt Marvel will get more advertising than Toyota.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Here in Melbourne apart from the LED banners around the grounds sure feels like Marvel are more advertised than Toyota at the moment
A week with no games, coinciding with the start of the Marvel contract, I'd be surprised if their contract doesn't have provision for a massive launch before Toyota gets their airtime during the Finals.
The whole thing is clever, from who picked it up (it doesn't clash with any team's sponsors) to the name (sounds epic) to taking the whole thing to the next level with changing more than just a few signs. I mean how much discusaion has Marvel got just from announcing the change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
I've just seen on the NRL website that Docklands (and the MCG) is still an approved NRL finals venue even though a club game has not been held there since 2010

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I've just seen on the NRL website that Docklands (and the MCG) is still an approved NRL finals venue even though a club game has not been held there since 2010
Well the venue hasn't become less suitable for rugby than it was back then.

It's just that with AAMI park opening at that time the NRL/Storm would need to be expecting a massive crowd by NRL standards for the League to see the need to play there.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
They could use it for Laser cannon practice

*Not sure how Essendons WW2 air raid siren is going to link with the planned marvel stuff
Not sure how playing games of football will link either :p

Surely tenant club matchday activities continue as normal.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-20/marvel-stadium-tender-process

Marvel Stadium tender process
Sep 20, 2018 1:56PM
The AFL is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOI) from the market for the provision of Project Management Services to assist it with the stage one upgrade of Marvel Stadium (the Project).

This Project proposes a major upgrade and refurbishment of the Stadium and surrounding concourse, while keeping the stadium operational for the maximum amount of time. It includes the creation of more vibrant connectivity to and around the stadium from the adjacent Southern Cross Station and the CBD, a major expansion of the eastern (or city side) wing of the Stadium, a reimagining of the south end of the Stadium including the creation of a new, vibrant public space - all combined with a variety of in-stadium improvements and upgrades to service all sectors of the community.

The budget for the Project is currently set at $225 million, which is funded by the Victorian State Government as announced in April 2018.

If your organisation has an interest in providing these services, please click on the link below to access the EOI document. Responses to the Request for EOI must be received by Tuesday Sep 25.

https://www.eprocure.com.au/afl/

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Paywall
https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...es-what-we-found/news-story/2986bb8d2a9600085

Herald Sun 21.9.18

James Dowling reports that "...the AFL was granted (by the Vic. Govt. -my words) a $1 annual peppercorn rent for 40 years on a government parcel of land at New Quay. The land would house the AFL headquarters -which would have to be relocated after the stadium redevelopment. The code would have first right of refusal to buy the land from the government when the lease ends".

The current DS waterfront AFL HQ will be demolished, to create new public 24/7, 365 day pa, entertainment facilities. The Docklands has been a great success for high rise residential & office development. The Victoria Harbour direct waterfront area has, however, generally underachieved (outside M-F, until 7pm) on its original tourism, restaurant/entertainment etc. high expectations.

Both the ALP & LNP want Docklands, in the direct waterfront areas, to become 365 day pa major tourism, hospitality, & entertainment areas. This would generate significant economic & employment development for Melbourne. If successful, it would also improve the value of the general Docklands area (& increase the value of the significant parcels of land still owned by the Vic. Govt. in Docklands -& possibly also the nearby huge, new Fisherman's Bend, and Arden urban renewal proposals).

Last edited:

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Etihad have changed their profile pic!
FB_IMG_1538348274715.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad