MCG needs to increase capacity

Should State/Federal Government redevelop MCG to increased capacity?

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 50.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t mind the MCC using the club supported by the members as a method of allocation. Nominate your team when you become a full member. However you can’t just upon to General Admin on grand final day. Members pay too much for the right.

The AFL should review the corporate tickets and give them back to the people.

Always good to see the annual MCC bashing take place
People who wait their whole lives to see their team in a GF and miss out because of some 'fan of the game' who pays a handsome sum (despite not caring about the match result) have every right to feel upset and cheated. These days a lot of people lack the perspective to realise that money isn't everything.

I wouldn’t mind the MCC using the club supported by the members as a method of allocation. Nominate your team when you become a full member. However you can’t just upon to General Admin on grand final day. Members pay too much for the right.

If you take away the corporates' tickets and also scrap all AFL Members as others have suggested, it will cause a massive financial loss for the game. If that happens, I am sure the AFL will recoup this money via GF ticket price increases.

$1000 for nose bleeds, $3000 for ground level and $5000 for premium seats should do it.

I am sure the average punter will be happy to pay that if it means an extra 30,000 seats for members.

I can somewhat understand people who think the MCC should have no seats on GF day, even if it's incredibly naive.

What makes no sense to me is people arguing for club support preference for MCC members. Unless you're a restricted/provisional MCC member that supports a club with a chance to be in it, then why do you care?

If you take away the corporates' tickets and also scrap all AFL Members as others have suggested, it will cause a massive financial loss for the game. If that happens, I am sure the AFL will recoup this money via GF ticket price increases.

$1000 for nose bleeds, $3000 for ground level and $5000 for premium seats should do it.

I am sure the average punter will be happy to pay that if it means an extra 30,000 seats for members.
So taking the money away from the AFL would be giving it back to the people as everyone is suggesting. Of course that will never happen just as the MCC won’t be making changes. The MCC membership would have to drop in price and they won’t be doing that any time soon.

I'd pay it actually. Would think twice about 5 grand though

People who wait their whole lives to see their team in a GF and miss out because of some 'fan of the game' who pays a handsome sum (despite not caring about the match result) have every right to feel upset and cheated. These days a lot of people lack the perspective to realise that money isn't everything.
If you miss out on a ticket it's your own fault, plain and simple.

MCC is $600 odd a year, cheaper than some club memberships. It's not a rich person thing.

Have extra stands attached to balloons and floated around the ground - problem solved. Plus temporary so can be removed to prevent embarrassment in low-drawing fixtures. I'll call it the Melbourne Cricket Air.

If you miss out on a ticket it's your own fault, plain and simple.
What an ignorant post. With a competing club allocation of 35,000 and (for example) last year's grand finalists having 130,000 members (not mere fans) between them, how is missing out each person's fault? One day it might happen to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corporate tickets are the ones that can gagf. MCC I can live with since they fund the ground and if you’ve sat on a waiting list for goodness knows how long you’ve probably earnt it. Shits me when people who have absolutely no care for the game get such privileged access though. I was lucky enough to sit in the medallion club for the Richmond v Sydney game this year, and was staggered by the number of people who didn’t even go to their seats for the whole game. I’d imagine a similar thing happens on GF day.

What an ignorant post. With a competing club allocation of 35,000 and (for example) last year's grand finalists having 130,000 members (not mere fans) between them, how is missing out each person's fault? One day it might happen to you.
Shouldn't happen to me, I've got guaranteed GF ticket with my club membership and I'm also MCC.

If you don't want to miss out on the GF then purchase a membership that lets you go.

Problem with increasing capacity is how many games actually sell out? If you get sell-outs for regular H&A fixtures then yes, there is a case to increase capacity. The only games which genuinely go near capacity are the grand final and maybe some big name prelims. The GF would sell out even if the capacity was 200k, they just need to stop the "AFL Obligation" rort (i.e. people paying $5000 for overpriced packages or tickets going to people with no interest in AFL but work for an AFL sponsor) to allow more tickets for members. I know there are games in which GA tickets sell out but aren't at capacity, but in that case don't the MCG offer walk-ups anyway (or at least they should)?

If you have been following the AFL you would know that the fans views don’t matter. The clubs themselves don’t care about the fans because if they did they would collectively tell the AFL to give them the 900-1000 tickets each club is given to scalp to the public through packages back so competing club members could go. There is another 16 thousands tickets right there.
So if the clubs themselves don’t care about the fans then what chance the AFL caring.
As I have said before, if you want to go then get your wallet out, if you don’t want to pay much then sit at home.

Ridiculous call. Only when the ground is actually reaching capacity of 100k per game would this be in question. I'm still baffled that a club such as the Tiges (no offence intended here, they are my 2nd favourite club), who boasts 100k members still only manages 30-60k at most home games.

Here is simple idea

As part of your mcc memberships your required to go ....or Give the seat to someone who can go

If you don’t you are fined 500 bucks ......do it two times then sorry your membership is revoked ....seeya piss off.

Sorry I’ve not sympathy for rich toffee nosed mcc members who dont show up ......yeah they would then come ...problem solved .....yup I’ll get shouted at again in this forum...but seriously every seat on grand final should be filled ...

It’s the people’s game ...I’m disappointed when I see 95,000 at a gran final when we know 105,000 could fit in if everyone went

Back