Preview 2018 Qualifying Final 1 - Richmond v Hawthorn MCG Thursday 7:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon Ellis was pretty good in the grand final and in the finals overall. Isn't he like another son to Dimma? I don't think he will drop him. Only change will be Lambert for Higgins/Conca. Butler probably won't play.
Hate to see Higgins dropped, and I'm tending to agree with footy clasified Lambert for Broad, as Broads been very, very poor in the last few weeks. Will be an interesting selection

Mitchell is a lawn mower who keeps the grass low by dragging his butt all over the ground. I really can’t see how Hawthorn are going to get near us this week with their midfield and a few flashy flankers.
Their backline looks more vulnerable than a rainbow lollipop sitting on a supermarket checkout shelf to a toddlers peering eyes and luring hands.
I’m treating this as a warm up match for the Prelim and a game where we get to run in a few blokes into form.

So reading between the lines TI, what you're saying is we're a good chance this week?

Not sure if I trust Concas body.

Has cost us 2 finals in the past.
Blaming all those loses on Conca? Bit harsh. Back in those days of a SUB on the bench, it was worse on teams if someone got injured early. Nowadays 22 players rotating makes the spread of load more even. I think he's in cos he finds the football & tackles. Plus you need a couple of feelgood stories. 1) Conca persevering through years of injury, gets back in the side, wins a flag. 2) Higgins breaking into a premiership team, plays all year & gets a flag in his first hit out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has to, but it’s a question of whether he can and whether he’s ready.

I reckon Butler plays, they saw him play for a half in the VFL and got him off the ground pronto.
They played him for a quarter it looked like. Hardly sighted him. I would err on the side of caution with him. Play him in our next hit out. I love him and the other smalls. Just no need to rush it.
On form I'd be dropping Broad but obviously we need to keep height in the backline. Who do we put on Gunston? Broad or Grimes?

Hate to see Higgins dropped, and I'm tending to agree with footy clasified Lambert for Broad, as Broads been very, very poor in the last few weeks. Will be an interesting selection

Yeah I saw that but they quoted his 4 possessions from the weekend as a case. He's one of our defenders in a pure defensive role. I don't think possessions are at all relevant and his close checking of opponents allows guys like Rance, Houli, Short, Vlastuin to play more attacking.
However I wasn't watching him closely enough to notice anything particular bad that he did. Was he getting beaten by his opponent or something?

Yeah I saw that but they quoted his 4 possessions from the weekend as a case. He's one of our defenders in a pure defensive role. I don't think possessions are at all relevant and his close checking of opponents allows guys like Rance, Houli, Short, Vlastuin to play more attacking.
However I wasn't watching him closely enough to notice anything particular bad that he did. Was he getting beaten by his opponent or something?
All sats presure, tackling, r50, meters gained, the lot have been very ordinary in the kast 2 weeks, and 3 weeks ago against the suns was only marginally better. I think it would be a concern fot match committee if he is good enough to flick the switch and step up.
Different type of player but Highjns looks primmed for the big stage either way we are fortunate to have this depth

I would love to see Higgins play Thursday night.

Loved him from the moment he was interviewed draft night. Drafted by the premiers and there was no anxiety or fear of whether he would be good enough to get a game in his interview. Just absolutely stoked and choc full of confidence. Most importantly, our players want to play with him. They get a buzz out of it.

He has had a very good first season but September could be the making of him.

Lambo looks like he's coming in - for someone that doesn't deserve to be dropped. I'd guess it's balance. A runner most likely to go out - which would be BEllis. But then what do I know? I trust the match committee on this. We need our inside contested work, so I'd guess Conca stays. Higgins I love and don't want to see dropped - but he's in the gun as next cab off the rank.

If we come out full of tigerish fire then we'll win. The Hawks way to win is if they can control the tempo of the game and play it their way. Only way we can beat that is pressure, and attacking any way possible. We'll know that and will come out to take them down.

Sounds like hes good to go which is fantastic, his gut running and his ability to read the play when he comes off the back of the square at centre bounces is integral to our set up

Will be awesome to have him back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back