#38 - Mitch Grigg

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Hurn was probably the hardest at it inside mid in his draft year, he was tipped to go top 3 but then slid after draft camp as he didn't test that well + people thought he was a man child. I reckon his development has stunted a bit due to being just being played off the HBF, I reckon he would've been great through the middle. He's still one of the best HBF's in the league for sure.

I didn't know he played as an inside mid early on. I too heard that he was considered a manchild (read an article recently where an official at West Coast said as much, thought it a bit rude). Perhaps this meant he didn't quite make the transition required to become an effective mid at the top level, where the competition was more evenly matched in terms of physique.

Either way, I agree that he is one of the best half back flankers (along with Shaw and Suckling). That kick of his is weapon that just sets up the side brilliantly when rebounding. However I think any player in this position is just about always going to be a disappointment when finals roll around. Hopefully Grigg doesn't fall into this category and be an effective player in all situations.

I really dont think that Grigg should be played as a HBF a la Hurn just because he has an elite kick.
From what i have seen, his strength is his clearance work, evasiveness within a pack. For mine, he must be played as a clearance extractor both in the centre square and ball-ups, throws-in around the ground.
FWIW, i wonder how quick Scott Thompson is.

I didn't know he played as an inside mid early on. I too heard that he was considered a manchild (read an article recently where an official at West Coast said as much, thought it a bit rude). Perhaps this meant he didn't quite make the transition required to become an effective mid at the top level, where the competition was more evenly matched in terms of physique.

Either way, I agree that he is one of the best half back flankers (along with Shaw and Suckling). That kick of his is weapon that just sets up the side brilliantly when rebounding. However I think any player in this position is just about always going to be a disappointment when finals roll around. Hopefully Grigg doesn't fall into this category and be an effective player in all situations.

I think at first West Coast wanted to just settle Hurn into AFL footy and play him off the HBF- his long term projection as a player was definitely as a midfielder early on. + it was hard to get into the midfield when he first got drafted with Kerr, Judd, Cousins, Embley, Fletcher etc all in there. In the end Hurn hasn't really hasn't moved off the HBF probably due to how effective he's been.

I think Grigg off the HBF is a good idea to get him into the swing of things at AFL level. However obviously it could be a while away before Grigg getting a game as he hasn't been playing seniors at SANFL level

Time will tell. I would've drafted him only as a rookie.

I've seen him look very, very bad, and I've seen him look good. He needs to massively improve his work-rate, stay involved in the game for longer periods, and demand more from himself. Is talented, but is slow and just doesn't work hard enough.
I have a mate who plays reserves at Norwood (played a couple of league games last season), and he said he was a ripping pick up for the AFC. 'Elite skills and works hard' were his words. And being slow means jack s**t if you are very good in most other areas of the game, which Grigg is. He was no way near a rookie selection Drummond, so get off it.

I'm a Norwood man and I can tell you straight out that I really rate Grigg. Each time he got a league gig for Norwood this year, I was impressed (for the most part). At this stage, I would say he has been a good pickup for the Crows. 2013 will be a big year for him to consolidate a permanent league spot for Norwood (with hopefully a couple of AFL games). 2014 is when we should expect him to push for AFL selection on a more regular basis.

Grigg to debut!!! WOO!!! :D :thumbsu:
Wonder whether Mitch Grigg would still have his name in the draft? Have seen him a few times this year and he has class written all over his game. Would be a good addition as a backup player and maybe his early stint at the Crows may have taught him what is required at this level. His delivery into the forward line would be an asset.

I'm not sure Grigg would be prepared to put in the effort needed to make a success of AFL. Definitely talented enough but with his leg speed he needs to put in 110% to succeed.

Back in the 80s he'd have had a career, maybe not now though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will win back to back Magareys this year. Norwood Champ. Go Griggy

Good to see him kill it at SANFL, as much as the door is shut to an AFL side, I always had time for Griggy as a player.

Captain coach?
Really haven't seen enough of him to know but what's the knock on Mitch? Two Magareys seems pretty damn good, what are his strengths and weaknesses? Up here, we're clearly going to need to try and find some solid players out of the state leagues, so just trying to find some informed opinions.

Really haven't seen enough of him to know but what's the knock on Mitch? Two Magareys seems pretty damn good, what are his strengths and weaknesses? Up here, we're clearly going to need to try and find some solid players out of the state leagues, so just trying to find some informed opinions.
Strengths are his leg. He has a booming kick. Great kick for goal as well. Has pretty good Endurance however poor speed. Plays as an inside mid in the SANFL. When playing AFL rarely played inside. Played mainly wing and half forward. In his last season with the crows he had a very good season as an inside mid in the reserves but was competing against the liks of Thompson, Crouches, Sloane, Lyons. He has put on quite a bit of weight since stopping AFL. He likes to work. He is a landscaper. Not sure if he has the commitment to being a full time AFL footballer. But if a club comes knocking im sure he would look at it.

Shame he didn't get a second chance.

I assume if he was ever going to play AFL again, this would have been the year to get picked up.

He could go down as one of the legs greatest!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back