Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah think it's mainly because McGrath - aside from being a very good player this year - got the jump on Clug and Taranto performance wise and of course won the rising star. Should make the 2019 squad.
Both had years better than a few that made it imo. but not easy to pick these things.

I know it's early but some players are making moves in their 2nd year.

If done today this is how I see it going.

1) Sam Power Pepper
2) Taranto
3) McGrath
4) Witherdon
5) McCluggage
6) Graham
7) Bowes
8) Florent
9) Parfitt
10) Fisher
11) Marshall
12) Sam Petrevski Seton
13) Berry
14) English
15) Ratugolea
16) Venables
17) Simpkin
18) Logue
19) Hayward
20) Darcy

more like this:
1) Taranto
2) Parfitt
3) Mcgrath
4) Witherdon
5) SPP

If given the choice, noone in AFL (apart from delusional brisbane supporters) would take Witherden over Taranto, Powell-Pepper, Florent on potential...

Even players like Jack Graham and Partfitt has him well covered in current performance

I'm not a Brissy supporter but I reckon in 2-3 years time Berry & Witherden will be regarded as the best 2 from the 2016 draft.

Mcgrath is Ball in that scenario. The other two have gone past him.
Simply untrue. McGrath is more versatile than either of them. Can play on any line on the field. Has so many strings to his bow and plenty of development left, He has even said himself he hasn't truly opened the attacking side of his game yet.

Not saying Clug and Taranto aren't fantastic in their own right fwiw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only who just doesn’t see much in Parfitt?
He is geelongs best youngster by a long way. Very composed and has a good leg.

But this is a very strong draft so he ends up down the order in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Superb draft.

What sums it up best are the late picks.
Still finding his feet but our pick 51, Elliot Himmelberg, will end up a big mover in any redo of this draft.

Now pushing up to 200cm, been very solid as a KPF/2nd ruck in the SANFL which culminated in a R23 debut this season. Great smarts and agility for a big kid that's just turned 20.

May not really break out until 2020, but definitely one who will end up in this conversation.

I'm not a Brissy supporter but I reckon in 2-3 years time Berry & Witherden will be regarded as the best 2 from the 2016 draft.
It's a closely run thing but McCluggage has them both covered, some of his play this year to get out of traffic was Pendlebury like. The 3 of them are very different players and all 3 will hopefully play 200 plus and win us a lot of games.

McCluggage just seems to have time when he gets the ball and never panics, has had a couple of games with near perfect DE and after the bye this year really improved.

It's a closely run thing but McCluggage has them both covered, some of his play this year to get out of traffic was Pendlebury like. The 3 of them are very different players and all 3 will hopefully play 200 plus and win us a lot of games.

McCluggage just seems to have time when he gets the ball and never panics, has had a couple of games with near perfect DE and after the bye this year really improved.

In one game he had a DE of 100%

Totally your opinion so no issues but for the sake of debate theres some very fishy non-inclusions.

Obvious inclusion thats very odd is Jordan Ridley - played 3 games..... and 24 VFL games...
Now BJ is out of the way you'll see Ridley a lot more next year. He's a classy looking player.

Am I the only who just doesn’t see much in Parfitt?
His work in close is the best in this draft, very similar to Sam Mitchell with excellent hands. Has the ability now to take over games for a quarter and be really dominant. His movement in tight spaces very good. Problem is his kicking needs work and is average on the outside. He is very agile but not pacey and he is a little small. Could go either way

Still finding his feet but our pick 51, Elliot Himmelberg, will end up a big mover in any redo of this draft.

Now pushing up to 200cm, been very solid as a KPF/2nd ruck in the SANFL which culminated in a R23 debut this season. Great smarts and agility for a big kid that's just turned 20.

May not really break out until 2020, but definitely one who will end up in this conversation.
Shame he’s in Adelaide and will probably be shown photos of his dead childhood puppy at your next camp

His work in close is the best in this draft, very similar to Sam Mitchell with excellent hands. Has the ability now to take over games for a quarter and be really dominant. His movement in tight spaces very good. Problem is his kicking needs work and is average on the outside. He is very agile but not pacey and he is a little small. Could go either way
Reasonable assessment

4 picks inside the top 10 for us.

Ainsworth has actually exceeded my expectations. Small forward but has gone into the midfield and turned a game around against the Lions earlier this year. Probably had to do a lot more than most draftees by carrying a struggling team and I'm confident he'll prove his value in years to come. Had a few niggling injuries that slowed him down towards the end.

I was worried about Bowes for a while but saw really positive signs towards the end of the year. Went back and had a breakout games against Richmond 28 disp, 6 intercept marks. Followed that up with 26 against Geelong at the cattery in a hiding, 14 contested. He's another I now believe will make the grade and very excited about him. Has a touch of class.

Brodie definitely knows how to win the ball and I'm actually surprised that he hasn't played more. He needs to work on his kicking and disposal in general as he turns it over quite a bit. I am still optimistic though but he's not in the top 20 from the draft at present. We need him to have a break out 2019.

Scrimshaw not played at all this year despite good form in the NEAFL. Has had his share of injuries and setbacks and hopefully he can work his backside off over summer and secure a spot. He's a bust at this stage though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back