Preview Geelong vs Demons (literal and figurative)- Elim Final Fri 7th Sept MCG @750 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the game and I thought they looked terrible. They might improve next week but last night they were crap.

Their precision kicking game isn't effective with a greasy ball and some of their players who've been standing up recently couldn't stand the heat.. ie Worpel, Bruest, Impey and Gunston (how was he AA over Hawk?).

Yep terrible finals coach. Especially that flag in 2011. I remember even if you choose not to.

Chris Scott disagrees with you, he knows himself he had little to do with 2011.

Shall we recap all the finals we were heavy favorites in but lost, starting with the qualifying final against Freo at KP in 2013? You know, the one our players thought was a given? Professionalism. The intent from Geelong that day was beyond appalling, Freo just beat us back on the rebound, time and time again..

We're consistently favorites, but consistently lose. Hence, we have no right to be favorite tonight even though we've beaten this side 2 for 2 in 2018.

Last edited:
Of course they were. An opposition actually brought some pressure against them and stuck to it rather than stupidly getting sucked in to Hawthorn's game (and effectively space chasing all game). People can hate Richmond all they like but they just get the basics right. And they do it as a team.
I was at the game and I thought they looked terrible. They might improve next week but last night they were crap.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Of course they were. An opposition actually brought some pressure against them and stuck to it rather than stupidly getting sucked in to Hawthorn's game (and effectively space chasing all game). People can hate Richmond all they like but they just get the basics right. And they do it as a team.

Exactly my thoughts. Spot on.

I'm still in disbelief that Clarkson could make top 4 with that list, I've never seen a guy polish turd like he can as a coach. Amazing.

Richmond are kings of the fundamentals. In sync as a team, work hard, chase hard, run for each other forward of the ball, to contests, hungry for the ball, relentless in pressuring all over the ground.

Geelong's ceiling is significantly higher than Hawthorn's, and it should have been us in that final last night. We can compete with Richmond, and I believe could beat them if able to match their 'pressure rating' for 4 quarters. Our players aren't invested like Richmond are though.

Shall we recap all the finals we were heavy favorites in but lost, starting with the qualifying final against Freo at KP in 2013? You know, the one our players thought was a given? Professionalism. The intent from Geelong that day was beyond appalling, Freo just beat us back on the rebound, time and time again..

Hawkins was a late out, we lost Enright early and Chapman was the sub (which remains the worst game-day decision I've ever seen from this club) - I can cut us some slack for that loss.

The first quarter of the 2016 prelim v Sydney was unforgivable.

Exactly my thoughts. Spot on.

I'm still in disbelief that Clarkson could make top 4 with that list, I've never seen a guy polish turd like he can as a coach. Amazing.

Richmond are kings of the fundamentals. In sync as a team, work hard, chase hard, run for each other forward of the ball, to contests, hungry for the ball, relentless in pressuring all over the ground.

Geelong's ceiling is significantly higher than Hawthorn's, and it should have been us in that final last night. We can compete with Richmond, and I believe could beat them if able to match their 'pressure rating' for 4 quarters. Our players aren't invested like Richmond are though.

I'd say opposition coach arrogance plays some role in Clarko dragging Hawthorn up to 4. Not just CS. Nearly all like to try and be too clever and 'out coach the master' and play the our loose against your lose bull s**t game against them.

Even Richmond wouldn't win if they tried that garbage. A very high press with man on man or maybe one ruck a kick behind the play before bursting at them is a much better strategy. Even ####ing Brisbane could work that out. Twice.

Richmond knowing how to stick a tackle helps too. EVERY player top to bottom. There is no getting away from their tackles. It was maybe twice that Hawks offloaded while in or got away a tackle in the entire last three quarters last night. And they didn't need to be gang tackled each time either. One is nearly always enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blicavs has been good and doubt he will be a problem. Guthrie on the other hand...

If Guthrie came out and had a stand-out game in a final, I'd be absolutely shocked. It's one thing to see a quality player go missing in a final, but a player who plays one outstanding game in 5, that's another thing entirely.

I wish I could agree. But facts are we've been smashed in 3 of our last 4 finals. Not as disrespectful as we might like to think.

Yeah we can't really complain given some of our recent finals floggings. Actions speak louder than words. There is no better way to prove everyone wrong than coming out tonight, playing great finals footy and getting the win. I love that we're the underdog and there is no spotlight on us. I'm sure the club does too.

Chris Scott disagrees with you, he knows himself he had little to do with 2011.

We're consistently favorites, but consistently lose. Hence, we have no right to be favorite tonight even though we've beaten this side 2 for 2 in 2018.
Gotta disagree with you on the Freo final. To this day its the highest intensity game of football ive ever seen.
Both teams cracked in as hard as possible from start to finish.
Unfortunately we barely played Walker all year even though we knew Tommy was every chance to go down at some stage.
We then expected him to come in and perform in a final.
We also played Varcoe and started Chappy as a sub and had no plan whatsoever for Sandilands dropping back into defence.
Nothing wrong at all with effort and professionalism of the players that day.
The rest of the football department let them down badly.

Nothing wrong at all with effort and professionalism of the players that day.

I seem to recall Freo beating us back from the flood into our forward line again, and again, and again. Basically walking goals through, in a game that as you said was tightly contested around the footy.

They ran harder than us. We didn't make them marks in forward 50 to earn goals. It was in Geelong, we should have squashed them.

Yeah we can't really complain given some of our recent finals floggings. Actions speak louder than words. There is no better way to prove everyone wrong than coming out tonight, playing great finals footy and getting the win. I love that we're the underdog and there is no spotlight on us. I'm sure the club does too.
Yes we definitely have an opportunity here to start repairing our finals reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back