Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

4 picks inside the top 10 for us.

Ainsworth has actually exceeded my expectations. Small forward but has gone into the midfield and turned a game around against the Lions earlier this year. Probably had to do a lot more than most draftees by carrying a struggling team and I'm confident he'll prove his value in years to come. Had a few niggling injuries that slowed him down towards the end.

I was worried about Bowes for a while but saw really positive signs towards the end of the year. Went back and had a breakout games against Richmond 28 disp, 6 intercept marks. Followed that up with 26 against Geelong at the cattery in a hiding, 14 contested. He's another I now believe will make the grade and very excited about him. Has a touch of class.

Brodie definitely knows how to win the ball and I'm actually surprised that he hasn't played more. He needs to work on his kicking and disposal in general as he turns it over quite a bit. I am still optimistic though but he's not in the top 20 from the draft at present. We need him to have a break out 2019.

Scrimshaw not played at all this year despite good form in the NEAFL. Has had his share of injuries and setbacks and hopefully he can work his backside off over summer and secure a spot. He's a bust at this stage though.
I remember the Bont comparisons with Scrimshaw in his draft year.. I hope he makes it for you, you need a few home runs with your recruiting & a player like him may just take some time.

Just out of interest, these 2016 draftees made the 22under22 team in 2018

Alex Witherden
Andrew McGrath
Sean Darcy

These 2016 draftees made the 22under22 squad in 2018

Will Hayward
Hugh McCluggage
Zac Fisher
Tim Taranto
Sam Powell-Pepper
Tim English

Not suggesting this is how you would re-draft them, but thought it was an interesting perspective on 2018 form.

Alex Witherden
Andrew McGrath
Sean Darcy

Will Hayward
Hugh McCluggage
Zac Fisher
Tim Taranto
Sam Powell-Pepper
Tim English

Not suggesting this is how you would re-draft them, but thought it was an interesting perspective on 2018 form.

Big Mcgrath fan but his 2018 form wasn't amazing. He only made the side because he was listed as a defender.

Alex Witherden
Andrew McGrath
Sean Darcy

Will Hayward
Hugh McCluggage
Zac Fisher
Tim Taranto
Sam Powell-Pepper
Tim English

Its a one season assessment and you're picked on position. Breust made AA and Fyfe didn't. Do we draft Breust over Fyfe? Not how I would redraft players.

Not having a go. Just making a point.

Its a one season assessment and you're picked on position. Breust made AA and Fyfe didn't. Do we draft Breust over Fyfe? Not how I would redraft players.

Not having a go. Just making a point.

He literally said it was just out of interest and that it wouldn't be how you'd redraft them...

Alex Witherden
Andrew McGrath
Sean Darcy

Will Hayward
Hugh McCluggage
Zac Fisher
Tim Taranto
Sam Powell-Pepper
Tim English

And Ronke too, though admittedly due to the relative paucity of small forwards who fit the criteria. (I’d have actually picked Papley ahead of Ronke, just from a Swans perspective).

Parfitt woeful again last night. I don’t think he will make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's fair to say none of them have lived up to expectations so far. Brodie, Ainsworth and Bowes have all shown glimpses at the top level and should all be good players in the future but they haven't yet justified being a top 10 pick in a strong draft like this. Many others have outperformed them. If the draft were redone I think all 4 of them would have slipped considerably.
Footy is just a job on the GC

English has looked very ordinary in the past games. Seems like Cameron Wood/Josh Fraser 3.0. You just don't use a first round pick on those stick shaped ruckmen who probably will never bulk up enough to be viable at the AFL level.
Really? what weight was Grundy in his 2nd year?

Just as Parfitt’s fast start to the year in a strong midfield led to him being overrated, the opposite is happening now. Not the first second year player to slow down over a season, particularly after injury

Think you will find not
How heavy was he then?

I don't really see a career for English at the AFL level, let alone a top 3 player from 2016.

Will be too weak to become a key position player at either end of the yield, and no, you can't just suddenly gain 20 kg of muscles no matter how well you condition yourself...

As a ruck his tap work is also dodgy, skills are average...

He doesn't have:
Skills, midfield dominance of grundy
Tapwork of Gawn/Sandilands/Ryder
Athleticism of Nic Nat
Stoppage presense of Nankervis/Martin/Goldstein

I see him possibly approaching the level of a Ben Mcevoy if all goes well for him.

There's a reason why he slid to a late first round pick, despite Grundy JUST reminding all the clubs not to overlook a player by his position.

The fact that he was a late first rounder was more an evaluation of his talent rather than his position.

1. Taranto
2. McCluggage
3. Stewart
4. Berry
5. McGrath
6. Witherden
7. Florent
8. Ryan
9. Fisher
10. Brodie
11. Ronke
12. Hayward
13. Darcy
14. Simpkin
15. Ainsworth

Good draft. There's about 40 guys worth a place on a list and legitimately anyone from the top 15 could end up in the top 3 in a few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back