Autopsy Swans vs GWS Elimination Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I have never seen an afl team fumble the ball the way we did today. Laughable

The worst part is it wasn't just an aberration. See: Port Adelaide in round 2, North Melbourne in round 7, the Richmond game at Etihad, the Gold Coast game...

Next year we get back

Reid
Mills
Mellican
Naismith

add

Blakey

Another glut of games into

Ronke
McCartin
Papley
Hayward

We lose

Lloyd?
Hanners
Tippett coin.
Horse?????

Should be ok

We need to add a proven mid imo

Kennedy might be finished end of 2019

The worst part is it wasn't just an aberration. See: Port Adelaide in round 2, North Melbourne in round 7, the Richmond game at Etihad, the Gold Coast game...

We didn’t have many convincing wins really

Could of dropped norf dogs at etihad
Pies at scg

We didn’t have many convincing wins really

Could of dropped norf dogs at etihad
Pies at scg

Exactly. Won't lie I thought all those unconvincing and ugly and hard-fought wins would harden us up come finals time (which is why I thought we'd win the flag for a while there :oops:)

Seems like they just had the opposite effect and sapped us of any sort of confidence or ability

Exactly. Won't lie I thought all those unconvincing and ugly and hard-fought wins would harden us up come finals time (which is why I thought we'd win the flag for a while there :oops:)

Seems like they just had the opposite effect and sapped us of any sort of confidence or ability

We got to second without really getting going and was hoping we would use that as a springboard , but we got worse

Next year we get back

Reid
Mills
Mellican
Naismith

add

Blakey

Another glut of games into

Ronke
McCartin
Papley
Hayward
Florent

We lose

Lloyd?
Hanners
Tippett coin.
Horse?????

Should be ok
You're forgetting that some of those, esp Reid, will be injured again.

I agree with all of the above but these are all things that should have been apparent after the 2014 grand final, after the 2016 grand final, and after the semi-final debacle last year. And they weren't improved upon. And the same results keep happening to us. And Horse still has his job. So he kind of has got off scot free.

In any case I'm not in favour of just an immediate sacking but the club would be reckless not to be looking at life post-Horse as this will be his fourth chance to rectify issues in the off-season and his track record at doing so isn't glowing.

2014 was a shocker I concede. 2016 umpiring, Buddy going down early, Hannebery late, McVeigh and Mills underdone. Not a failure of coaching imo, things just didn’t go our way.

Saying that in 2016 draft we took Florent and Hayward plus Ronke (drafted as a mid). Last year Ling and Stoddart. All quick potential runners / midfielders (Hayward could be seen as forward but many saw him as a potential mid).

You can’t flick a switch unless we have salary cap room to bring players in. We didn’t. So we went the long road. They are still on that road and it is unfair on those players to be the difference so early in their careers.

Unfortunately their rise has coincided with the unexpected decline of Hannebery and even Jack which has put more pressure on Kennedy.

You can’t build a gameplan around those new players until they are ready for that responsibly and certainly up until this point, they aren’t ready for that.

2014 was a shocker I concede. 2016 umpiring, Buddy going down early, Hannebery late, McVeigh and Mills underdone. Not a failure of coaching imo, things just didn’t go our way.

Saying that in 2016 draft we took Florent and Hayward plus Ronke (drafted as a mid). Last year Ling and Stoddart. All quick potential runners / midfielders (Hayward could be seen as forward but many saw him as a potential mid).

You can’t flick a switch unless we have salary cap room to bring players in. We didn’t. So we went the long road. They are still on that road and it is unfair on those players to be the difference so early in their careers.

Unfortunately their rise has coincided with the unexpected decline of Hannebery and even Jack which has put more pressure on Kennedy.

You can’t build a gameplan around those new players until they are ready for that responsibly and certainly up until this point, they aren’t ready for that.

The issues in 2016 was we got smashed week 1 and probably got lucky we beat didn’t face gws again

I don’t think horse let the young midfielders have a go enough

Went back to the same old time and time again

Gifted a lot of games to jack and hanners at times

We need to add a proven mid imo

Kennedy might be finished end of 2019

We are going to be the reverse Geelong next year. Plenty of talent at either end but nothing in between where it counts the most.

Think the club's been too behind the eight-ball in recent times. We had a dominant midfield group that lacked outside pace and class. Then it takes two grand final losses to finally start bringing in some of that class (back-to-back years bringing in Florent, Stoddart, Ling, Hayward types.)

Now we have a midfield group struggling with inside contested ball and if speculation is true we seem to be focusing on on key forwards and key defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not a personnel issue Mase you should still be able to score more then 30 points with the team we had out there surely.

That's all very true (though I do think a lot of our players had shockers in the 2016 GF and it was yet another example of us failing to get up off the canvas.)

But the 2016 draft in-take was too little too late.

We are going to be the reverse Geelong next year. Plenty of talent at either end but nothing in between where it counts the most.

Think the club's been too behind the eight-ball in recent times. We had a dominant midfield group that lacked outside pace and class. Then it takes two grand final losses to finally start bringing in some of that class (back-to-back years bringing in Florent, Stoddart, Ling, Hayward types.)

Now we have a midfield group struggling with inside contested ball and if speculation is true we seem to be focusing on on key forwards and key defenders.

2015 we brought in Leonardis who was an outside type just turned out to be a dud. Dawson was taken in 2015. Mills as well who was originally an inside mid. Murray was an outside flanker. COR is still on list.

2014 Hiscox and Newman. Haven’t really worked out.

Just don’t think we got it right with a few. Fortunately they have started to get it right.

We went into today's game without Smith, Melican, Mills, Naismith, Reid, Tippett, Rohan, AJ, and with Franklin looking very unfit.

We had no real marking targets and far too many young inexperienced players who didn't perform as well as they've played during the season.

If you look at our team you have Franklin, Parker who are at the top level of players, Kennedy/Rampe have slipped back to probably a B level and most of the others are C Grade players.

Its not a personnel issue Mase you should still be able to score more then 30 points with the team we had out there surely.

I agree with that, it isn’t just personnel.

But I also believe it is a number of factors not “just Horse”.

2015 we brought in Leonardis who was an outside type just turned out to be a dud. Dawson was taken in 2015. Mills as well who was originally an inside mid. Murray was an outside flanker. COR is still on list.

2014 Hiscox and Newman. Haven’t really worked out.

Just don’t think we got it right with a few. Fortunately they have started to get it right.

Yep, but it's too little too late because now there's holes in the list, too big to cover up and do well in finals like we were able to in 2014 and 2016. The holes are exposed now.

In fairness no club is perfect and hindsight is 20/20, but some were saying these things at the time when people like myself thought everything was rosy.

Yep, but it's too little too late because now there's holes in the list, too big to cover up and do well in finals like we were able to in 2014 and 2016. The holes are exposed now.

In fairness no club is perfect and hindsight is 20/20, but some were saying these things at the time when people like myself thought everything was rosy.

I just hope we learn now by not ignoring the obvious things that need attention

Debacle of a game, there’s no sugarcoating that.

It was a comprehensive anihilation in the midfield once again which is becoming quite a pattern in our finals defeats, this time against a team who had their best mid injured for the most part. It’s an area we desperately need to rejuvenate over the off season because Jack is on his last legs, Hanners has been regressing, JPK won’t be around forever. Parker and Heeney are good but we don’t have the depth on the inside that we use to.

The forward line was invisible today but I don’t think they had much of a chance with the heavy territorial advantage the giants had all game, combined with the horrendous delivery.

At half time we needed Buddy to turn it on to get back into it. But by the looks of it he had some serious fitness issues, the telltale sign being that we chose to stick him in the goal square with Davis who had been winning the one on ones all game. Usually when Bud’s quiet he’d get right up the ground, lead through the corridor, mark a kick out of defense in middle of the ground and then set something up for us. None of that today.

I can’t really discern at this point what our plan is going into the forward line. So often we bomb it high and long to a pack of 6-8 players and GWS had the numbers at ground level. This method would make sense if we actually had strong marking forwards, but our best overhead mark has been injured all year. Other times we seemingly just blindly kicked it long to the GWS spare. It’s been an issue with all our losses for the past few years, so lot for the coaches to rectify.

It’s very different to our defense which seems very organised and the defenders are obviously working to a plan. Whereas the mids and forward don’t seem to be on the same page with kicks not going to advantage and blind long bombs to contests.

The most disappointing part still is that we’ve been smashed twice now in finals by that those absolute flogs at GWS. Not what we want against our direct geographical rivals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back