Preview Second Semi-Final – Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Saturday 15th September 2018, MCG, 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
A great afternoon at the Grand National, and even better night at the SCG.

I don’t think any of us saw it coming, especially the Swans and their supporters, who were in a state of shock. The final score of 4.6.30 was their lowest in 385 games at home. They would also have been in shock at the amount of support we had, which became clear as the trickle of red-and-white heading for the exits became a torrent. Now we’ve got the perfect answer when someone asks “where’s all your members?” – they’re at the SCG. :D

So, let’s look ahead to the semi-final next Saturday.

On the surface, Collingwood have had a good season, winning fifteen, losing seven and finishing top four with a healthy percentage. But if you look a bit closer, they’ve beaten only one top eight side, and that was Melbourne back in June. It’s tempting to say they’ve had a pretty soft draw, playing Carlton, Brisbane, Essendon and Fremantle twice. However, finals are a whole new ball game. Don’t forget we lost twice to the Swans during the year and blew them away when it mattered.

It will certainly be a different Collingwood to what we faced in round two. They’ve recovered from their own pre-season injury crisis, welcoming back Tyson Goldsack for his first game of the season last night against the Eagles, the same as we did with Zac Williams. And they’re playing well, going goal-for-goal against the Eagles before finally getting run down minutes from the end.

Back in March, we were missing Toby due to injury, and Tom Scully went down during the game itself, but the biggest difference this time is we've finally got a first-choice back line that includes Williams, Kennedy and Buntine. Williams in particular made us look a completely different team last night; all three seem to have restored a bit of structural balance that’s been missing over the past two years. The only forced change I can see is that Griffen will probably take Kelly’s place, as he’s unlikely to recover from a meniscus tear in seven days. Perhaps Sam Taylor might come in for Perryman.

I know history is against elimination final winners in the semis, but we have what it takes to defy history. The pressure will be on Collingwood to perform in what’s sure to be the most partisan crowd we’ve played against since the PF to Richmond. But it won’t faze us.

I’m heading down and hope to see as much orange as possible. And can we please have another pre-match function at the Imperial Hotel?

I believe that we will win. :)

In 2016, the thing that went against us in the PF was general inexperience - particularly when we lost our contest king Callan Ward. Last year, injuries and poorly-performing veterans meant we weren't structurally optimised and our combos were off. This year, I think we're better than last with Toby/Zac/Kenners/Bunts all back, although still structurally off our optimum through missing Heater, Scully & (perhaps) Kelly. However, I do think that we have coped with the loss of the first two, and the boys will just have to dig deep to deal with Josh's absence if he doesn't get up. But we do have a harder edge than most Victorian journos give us credit for, and - with a little luck, a favourable bounce of the ball occasionally, and even umpiring - we can most certainly win at the G.

I think Collingwood was misleadingly good this year. After finishing 13th last year they got put in the group for the easiest draw, whereas our top 4 finish left us in the hardest group. It's possible we will lose but I have to admit I will be disappointed if we do. I would've tipped Sydney over the Pies as well.

We're also undefeated in semi-finals, so that's a plus! After yesterday we're also undefeated in elimination finals. ;)

In 2016, the thing that went against us in the PF was general inexperience - particularly when we lost our contest king Callan Ward. Last year, injuries and poorly-performing veterans meant we weren't structurally optimised and our combos were off. This year, I think we're better than last with Toby/Zac/Kenners/Bunts all back, although still structurally off our optimum through missing Heater, Scully & (perhaps) Kelly. However, I do think that we have coped with the loss of the first two, and the boys will just have to dig deep to deal with Josh's absence if he doesn't get up. But we do have a harder edge than most Victorian journos give us credit for, and - with a little luck, a favourable bounce of the ball occasionally, and even umpiring - we can most certainly win at the G.
Agree here

And the good news is we don't even have to leave the G now to win a flag !!! Haha

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Collingwood was misleadingly good this year. After finishing 13th last year they got put in the group for the easiest draw, whereas our top 4 finish left us in the hardest group. It's possible we will lose but I have to admit I will be disappointed if we do. I would've tipped Sydney over the Pies as well.

We're also undefeated in semi-finals, so that's a plus! After yesterday we're also undefeated in elimination finals. ;)

Agreed. I’ll be surprised if our power running game isn’t too much for the pies.

A game under their belts for the 4 that returned last weekend and Corr/Taylor/Griffen putting pressure on at the selection table. Barring injury they may struggle to force their way in so maybe only Kelly’s spot is open if he does t get up. In which case straight swap for Griff or Corr/Taylor if we want an extra tall

Although sometimes his disposal is questionable, Buntine is really strong overheard and another good intercept player. I like what he’s brought to the team. Williams was excellent, hasn’t missed a beat, and him returning allows Whitfield to play more up the field as he did yesterday.

The team looks strong structurally and the passion and ferocity at the contest yesterday was amazing. Goes to show his little they cared in that final H&A game. If they bring the same intensity they’ll be hard to stop. The experience of last years PF will put them in good stead, and they were very much in that game at half time. Can’t wait!

Although sometimes his disposal is questionable, Buntine is really strong overheard and another good intercept player. I like what he’s brought to the team. Williams was excellent, hasn’t missed a beat, and him returning allows Whitfield to play more up the field as he did yesterday.

The team looks strong structurally and the passion and ferocity at the contest yesterday was amazing. Goes to show his little they cared in that final H&A game. If they bring the same intensity they’ll be hard to stop. The experience of last years PF will put them in good stead, and they were very much in that game at half time. Can’t wait!
I dont think it was lack of caring. The Demons just out fought us for the ball on the day. Happily we picked it up yesterday, against a team that outran us late 2 weeks ago.
As per Giant Strides view, in our third finals campaign the players know what it takes and are ready for finals pressure, I think.

Anyway I'm ready, tkt form completed, flights and accommodation booked and cant wait for the next chapter.

A great afternoon at the Grand National, and even better night at the SCG.

I don’t think any of us saw it coming, especially the Swans and their supporters, who were in a state of shock. The final score of 4.6.30 was their lowest in 385 games at home. They would also have been in shock at the amount of support we had, which became clear as the trickle of red-and-white heading for the exits became a torrent. Now we’ve got the perfect answer when someone asks “where’s all your members?” – they’re at the SCG. :D

So, let’s look ahead to the semi-final next Saturday.

On the surface, Collingwood have had a good season, winning fifteen, losing seven and finishing top four with a healthy percentage. But if you look a bit closer, they’ve beaten only one top eight side, and that was Melbourne back in June. It’s tempting to say they’ve had a pretty soft draw, playing Carlton, Brisbane, Essendon and Fremantle twice. However, finals are a whole new ball game. Don’t forget we lost twice to the Swans during the year and blew them away when it mattered.

It will certainly be a different Collingwood to what we faced in round two. They’ve recovered from their own pre-season injury crisis, welcoming back Tyson Goldsack for his first game of the season last night against the Eagles, the same as we did with Zac Williams. And they’re playing well, going goal-for-goal against the Eagles before finally getting run down minutes from the end.

Back in March, we were missing Toby due to injury, and Tom Scully went down during the game itself, but the biggest difference this time is we've finally got a first-choice back line that includes Williams, Kennedy and Buntine. Williams in particular made us look a completely different team last night; all three seem to have restored a bit of structural balance that’s been missing over the past two years. The only forced change I can see is that Griffen will probably take Kelly’s place, as he’s unlikely to recover from a meniscus tear in seven days. Perhaps Sam Taylor might come in for Perryman.

I know history is against elimination final winners in the semis, but we have what it takes to defy history. The pressure will be on Collingwood to perform in what’s sure to be the most partisan crowd we’ve played against since the PF to Richmond. But it won’t faze us.

I’m heading down and hope to see as much orange as possible. And can we please have another pre-match function at the Imperial Hotel?

I believe that we will win. :)
I saw it coming.

I told everyone we'd have an 8 goal win and bet quite a few people that Duddy wouldn't kick a goal.

I saw it coming.

I told everyone we'd have an 8 goal win and bet quite a few people that Duddy wouldn't kick a goal.
What's the Story for the G Saturday night. Some saying 60k, I would have thought more like 90k?

I dont really care the atmosphere for the PF was great, just curious. Guessing we get around 1.5k Vic members and travellers again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a good contest. They play a similar game style to us with a strong midfield and clearances driving their success. Even so I think we have better pillars at both ends and should get the win

I think the unknown is how they react to a large, hostile crowd. Although we have gotten better at this I’m still concerned it will become a factor

Ticketek don't make this easy. Its about a 3 hour drive for me to get to Melb nowadays so Im kinda 50/50 on going or watching on tv but 2hrs after they opened the sales and Im struggling to get past the opening page.

Nuffies nuff
And sensible decisions get made

@GWSGIANTS: Forward Toby Greene has been cleared by the AFL Match Review Officer of any wrongdoing regarding his controversial marking technique.

if Cotchin got away with his incident against us last year in the PF - Greene was going to be fine as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back