Official Match Thread Season 26, Round 8 (Heritage Round): West Coast Wonders vs Mount Buller Demons at Sweet FA Park

West Coast Wonders vs Mount Buller Demons @ Sweet FA Park
By Cloud_
Graphics by kdavva74

8125e85cb0279a6c67f35b7b43f1ca6a.png

Hello and welcome all to Round 8: Heritage Round. In Season 26 we explore the City of Sweet and delve into stories behind some of the historical venues that have shaped the culture of the league and by extension Sweet. This week the two remaining foundation clubs will go head to head at the original ground in the Sweet FA. Sweet FA (SFA) Park is the site within Dun Lop Parklands that played host to the inaugural game of the competition played between Team Kournikova and the Seventh Wonders. During the entirety of Season 01, Dun Lop Parklands played host to all games as the league was still an amateur level competition and the clubs did not have the sufficient finances and resources to develop and maintain their own home grounds. Given it provided numerous grounds in the heart of the Sweet central business district it proved a convenient venue. However, with persistent lobbying from captains and league founder Mobbs throughout the course of the season, most of the founding clubs eventually found enough funding from wealthy families and the Sweet City Council to build separate home Qooty ovals.

1933_state_carnival_SCG_football.jpg

Pictured is an old photograph of the inaugural clash between Team Kournikova and the Seventh (West Coast) Wonders on the original site of SFA Park

Following the move of most clubs to individual home venues. The vast majority of the Dun Lop Parklands became an open community reserve and until Season 10 when Dun Lop Stadium was opened, rarely were games hosted here. As a result, the majority of the Parklands underwent significant change with the Sweet FA HQ Building being placed at the centre of the Parklands, old grandstands were knocked down, and Dun Lop Stadium was built. However, Sweet FA Park; the site of the original game has been preserved and maintained in an ongoing effort by the league over the course of its history, still largely remains the same. The ground did not play host to any games until Season 21 when then-administrator The Filth Wizard decided for the Grand Final to be played there as a tribute to league origins. Today Sweet FA Park access is restricted most of the year with only official Sweet FA maintenance staff allowed on the turf. It is only accessible to the public when it plays host to the grand final and Heritage Round events when portable grandstands are set up surrounding the field during the week.

References :
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-wonders-1-30pm-aedst-sat-17-march-2000.8540/

Players To Watch :

West Coast Wonders
After missing last week's win against the Swamprats the Wonders will be glad to welcome back co-captain and elder statesman haydo to play against their arch-rivals the Demons for the Foundation Cup. Haydo had a torrid start to the season beginning at fullback and conceding bags but will be keen to stamp his authority in Heritage Round and begin a rich vein of form.

Legendary full forward okeydoke7 has been steady without being dominant the past few weeks, but against his original side he'll be keen to get back to a hefty goalkicking return and give himself more reasons to spruik is elongated CV.

Mount Buller Demons
The return of the enigmatic Oddhawk has given the Demons an injection of energy off-field and it has translated to on field results with big win in fiery contest with the Furies. Against the Wonders with the Foundation Cup on the line, the Demons will need Oddhawk to bring his trademark aggression to get over the line.

Multiple premiership player DemonJim will be keen this week to lift against the side he played in two premierships with. Jim has had a steady season at ruck rover, providing plenty of grunt along with hitting the scoreboard averaging a goal a game.

Tip :
Demons by 10

Last edited:

FinBar19

Team Captain
Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL
Aug 31, 2018
GC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Winnipeg Jets
Wonders, it’s good to see you again but from up here inside the top 4 this time.

I see you got a win last week but don’t worry, it’s not all bad news - #firsttosix is still on! Losses I mean, not premierships. Or maybe it’s the number of rookies you’re going to sign to try and save your season ;)

Either way I’d put money on both happening by the end of the week at the rate you’re going, but best of luck anyway :)

Wonders, it’s good to see you again but from up here inside the top 4 this time.

I see you got a win last week but don’t worry, it’s not all bad news - #firsttosix is still on! Losses I mean, not premierships. Or maybe it’s the number of rookies you’re going to sign to try and save your season ;)

Either way I’d put money on both happening by the end of the week at the rate you’re going, but best of luck anyway :)
giphy.gif

Oh great, it's those been in the competition for 26 seasons for 1 premiership win team again. Oh the joy
your only as good as the season you are in

welcome back btw

TJASTA

❄︎□︎⌧︎♓︎♍︎ 👌︎◆︎●︎●︎⍓︎
Sep 3, 2016
Jack Graham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Furies
Last edited:
your only as good as the season you are in
welcome back btw
Thanks friend, I couldn't miss my favorite week of the season. Hanging around with my snow bunny friends.

Sadly, those stats resemble my career
Maybe you're the problem? Please don't join the Wonders

A. Please stop tagging me into Wonders threads.
B. No I did not, they would require me to do work. Piss off if you want I don't care.

The guy who posts boring s**t all the time.
Woooaaahhhh!!! early #FHOTW fav right here. You have competition haydo

Back