Official Match Thread Season 26, Round 8: Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Shark Park (Heritage Round)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Shark Park (Heritage Round)

proxy.php

Story by Yakker
Matchday graphic by kdavva74
Hello and welcome all to Round 8: Heritage Round. In Season 26 we explore the City of Sweet and delve into stories behind some of the historical venues that have shaped the culture of the league and by extension Sweet. Today’s match is Dragons FFC vs Las Vegas Bears at Shark Park.

Shark Park is actually the name given to the more widely known Van Cortlandt Park situated on Coney Island and the current home ground of the Warriors. In the past it has also been named “Titanland and “Titan Park” under team Kornikova / Titans FFC. Shark Park was the home of the Southern Sharks FFC.

It is not widely known throughout the league that Coney Island is no longer an island in the true sense of the word. In earlier times Coney Island sat close to the mainland off the land of Sweet separated by a narrow stretch of water known as Sweet Sound. As the city grew and land was at a premium Coney Island was reclaimed. The venture was approved by the Sweet City Council and it was announced it would reclaim the island using a polder designed by Royal HaskoningDHV with local partner Sweet Jukon that will add 1,810ha to the city of Sweet.

Traditionally, sand has been used to fill the area to be reclaimed above sea level. This new approach involves building a dike around the area to be reclaimed and draining the water from it – a 400 year old Dutch proven method. This will allow the reclaimed area to be built at a lower level and hence significantly reduce the amount of sand needed for land reclamation.

556618_86e0055ce46b4bb417fde7249425f1d3.png

Work commences of Coney Island Reclamation.

556619_4852826c7a09a0fb905d4de8ca9a68fc.png

Artists impression of the finished project

As a result Sweet FA fans no longer had to catch the ferry over to Coney Island and crowd figures soared with the easier access to the grounds. With the growing popularity of the Sweet FA and on the back of increased gate takings, Van Cortlandt Park (Shark Park) underwent a refurbishment. An additional stand was added however this was not without controversy as players past and present along with Sweet FA faithful fought the municipal big wigs to save the now famous whore tree from destruction which was proposed in initial plans. The tree stands to this day and is a Sweet FA icon.

556620_ef6dfa798afae789c25b92cd2b81a91b.png

Early days of Shark Park (now known as Van Cortlandt Park. Note the grove of trees in the right foreground contains the now famous “Whore Tree”)

556621_ebe6f4fce0972e6fc9fcf5fca6339c4e.png

The new stand shortly after completion.

The Game:
This Game is an important one for both sides as they sit a game clear of 8th spot on the ladder howver so do 3 other teams. Should The Hawks defeat the Gumbies the loser of this game could well drop out of the eight.

FORM: The Bears have not been able to string back to back wins together for a while and if their WLWLW pattern continues you would expect a loss. The Dragons on the other hand had been on a winning streak and showing good form until they came up against a red hot Gumbies outfit last week.

Bears – WLWLW

Dragons – WWWWL

Who’s Hot.

Bears –

556623_56a8cb403882f55ee555737079c9b679.png

gym4life the LVB big man is in career best form and has had a dominant start to the season in the ruck. He sits second in the league for hitouts and is well entrenched in the SFA DT top ten points table.

Dragons –

556624_d95a285cddd9df5570bb1e2d06a4aaa7.png

PhenomenalV1 has his kicking boots on this season sitting 5th in the race to the Fred. Can he continue his good form and shoot straight on Sunday?

Who’s not –

Bears –

556627_09a7eea02f3b901f14edac51d76c5c3b.png

JoshWoodenSpoon has the unenviable honour of holding down top spot in the DERF (Most goals conceded as a fullback) after 5 rounds. Mooch kicked 9 on him last week. When will the match committee do what’s right? Could he be the one to cost them the win?

Dragons –
556628_e223d5fefa16fdfa0528503dd125a438.png

Blaze Storm has struggled to find the form that saw him push the league’s best last year for the Sweet FA’s highest award. He will need to lift this week after a poor showing last week.

Prediction –

Dragons by 13 points

Last edited:
Dragons bout to be brutally exposed by the in-form off-field team of the competition.

To whom it may concern,

I would like to apply for the position of wing with Dragons FC. I believe my skills and personality are a great fit with your organisation and together we will achieve great things.

I am a fast and skillful wingman in the mould of a young Peter Matera. The highlight of my young career was a best on ground performance in the Daffodil Day charity match.

I am eager to learn about all things Dragon and I look forward to joining your club in the pursuit of the ultimate glory, a Sweet FA premiership.

Kind regards
Barrybran

No no no. You rookies aren't hearing me.
We are not changing this jumper. :D

Look, we're more than happy to make it an exhibition jumper, but in terms of 'heritage', we have a far better option.

To whom it may concern,

I would like to apply for the position of wing with Dragons FC. I believe my skills and personality are a great fit with your organisation and together we will achieve great things.

I am a fast and skillful wingman in the mould of a young Peter Matera. The highlight of my young career was a best on ground performance in the Daffodil Day charity match.

I am eager to learn about all things Dragon and I look forward to joining your club in the pursuit of the ultimate glory, a Sweet FA premiership.

Kind regards
Barrybran
Sign me up too, I am a legendary and feared full back and I love fire poi.

Go Dragons!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sign me up too, I am a legendary and feared full back and I love fire poi.

Go Dragons!

I cannot stress enough how much I'd like the Dragons to sign Josh as their full back this week.

Mullets a plenty for Heritage round. Best mullet wins a prize*. Shows us what you got!

*prize is my admiration and a free like

Wanna bet ?

Kid, I run Qrownbet, the most reputable betting agency in the Sweet FA and one of the largest media threads of all time. I can wager.

To whom it may concern,

Kind regards
Barrybran
What the god damn hell!

To whom it may concern,

Kind regards
Barrybran
I've read your letter well my guide dog has and now I can't locate it.

Do you like the back pocket ? It's an ideal retirement.

Some respect, you're speaking to the Beez Medallist there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back