Official Match Thread Season 26, Round 8 (Heritage Round): Coney Island Warriors vs Fighting Furies at Outback Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Coney Island Warriors vs Fighting Furies at Outback Arena
By JoshWoodenSpoon
Graphics by kdavva74

598e1221bbbc9b65f2037e2576f436f2.png

Hello and welcome all to Round 8: Heritage Round. In Season 26 we explore the City of Sweet and delve into stories behind some of the historical venues that have shaped the culture of the league and by extension Sweet. Here the Warriors and Furies trek it out to Outback Arena. "Where in blazes?!?!" you say? Well, let's explore!

556497_141b3e1f4ace83c6b55b0b07bf21e4dd.png

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the countryside.
The rich, clear air. The open, inviting landscapes. The smell of the horses Mobbs couldn't be arsed moving off the pitch. It calls to the soul.
But what is the story behind this dilapidated ground?? Why is so little known about its past? Gather close and hear the fables.

Once the domain of the short-lived Koalas, who blessed the competition simply for Season 6, this ground was fatefully left dormant after mysterious unfoldings occurred to conclude their season and tenure in the Sweet F.A. Sitting just inside the 8 with a 10-11 record, yet sporting the second highest percentage in the League, the Koalas were eager to assert themselves in their final round match against the Dragons. Now, anyone who has followed rota69's dusty walking track up to Outback Arena would likely have explored the player races just next to the small grandstand. As a fledgling organisation, this was a cramped little housing in which to fit two teams, and merely a steel grill separated whichever two sides were playing on the day. Now, a monstrous win for the Dragons would see them displace the Koalas in the finals, and they were champing at the bit! Stifled accounts tell of acid being hurled between the two cohorts, and ravenous berating and rattling at the cage persisted until the sides finally took to the field. Let's have a listen to some of the unheavenly abuse.

This is our GF boys, lets smash these Caramellos!

Go Koalas

Yep, it was a brutal, unrestrained competition back in the day, and what followed may well have been the most savage display of qootball that broader Sweet has ever seen. With two hotheads like Pie 4 Life and Frankston Rover going head-to-head, it wasn't long until things started boiling over.

2 : 19.68 - Frankston Rover Has Possession.
2 : 19.75 - What A Tackle By Pie 4 Life.

This caused an eruption. Chaos descended as players used anything at their disposal to maim their rivals- chairs, branches and snapped goalposts all employed in the mighty tussle.

556516_fca264f9e14d154f82fb965c53a62ad1.png

Eventually the Dragons prevailed narrowly, leaving much of the Koalas side in a sorry state. In fact many Koalas perished in this brawl and they limped in to finals with what few players remained and got canned by the Roys. Evidence of the mass grave and memorial can be seen a the pocket of the Southern end, and some new foliage has sprouted in the wake of the arboreal assaults. And so that was the end of the Koalas- killed by Eucalyptus, the irony of it all.

556522_b4066ff3ca01abc2f04ebc8f541ddb16.png

In what seems a curious decision by the current League Administrator, the first match of qooty to be played since occurs this Heritage Round. Is this a disrespectful exhibition? What can we expect from the two sides at the remote paddock? How will Franky deal with a return to the site of so much pain? What will the presence of horses have on @TJATA's game? Tickets are selling swiftly so make sure to get in quick to secure a spot for this historic bout.

Players To Watch :

Coney Island Warriors

Warriors captain Frankston Rover has been easing himself along this season only averaging 18.9 disposals and being outside the top 30 is unusual for such a storied player. But with his return to his original home ground and on the stage of Match Of The Round in Heritage Round, the occasion may be big enough for Frankie to decide to cut loose and propel his Warriors to a big win over the Furies.

The spearhead of the best defence in the league Wooshette has been absolutely impenetrable this season and will have a huge task this week to contain Sterge who will be up in confidence after kicking 8 goals the previous round. If Woosh can shut down Sterge, then the Warriors will be well on their way to 8-0.

Fighting Furies

Without doubt the most important player to a Furies win is their power forward Sterge who roared back to form with an incredible 8 goal haul against the Demons in an unfortunate loss. Sterge will need to pull out every trick in the book to get shots on goal this week, and must take his chances to break apart defensive wall of Coney Island.

Former Royal OES has been a good acquisition for the Furies managing to gather 22.7 disposals a game on average running through the midfield. He along with This Is Anfield and Hate will need to be on their game against a red hot Warriors side. They need to be accountable defensively while still being proactive in taking risks.

Tip :
Warriors by 51

Last edited:

Good to be back here after so many years.

I made sure the Away rooms haven't been cleaned since then either.

Nice work Josh :thumbsu:
Sterge I’m really really looking forward to our epic match up.

Prepare to be smashed around

I will prob dominate on field as well now that I have discovered the secret to my powers

Yakker has already said that your vote was a joke. Much like the Logies, the public are idiots who vote for idiots.

I'm the Moral Flathead.
Spot on Franky, you'd hardly be people's choice :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prepare to be smashed around

I will prob dominate on field as well now that I have discovered the secret to my powers
Many have tried Sterge, unless your secret weapon is an angle grinder with a diamond blade... no one has succeeded getting through the Iron Curtains yet.

Many have tried Sterge, unless your secret weapon is an angle grinder with a diamond blade... no one has succeeded getting through the Iron Curtains yet.

I can't tell you my secret, that would be like Achilles telling Troy not to hit him in the heel because it's his only weak spot.

I can't tell you my secret, that would be like Achilles telling Troy not to hit him in the heel because it's his only weak spot.
You have so many weak spots I’ll just play eeny meeny miney mo.

You have so many weak spots I’ll just play eeny meeny miney mo.

To be fair most of the weak spots are NaturalDisaster or in NaturalDisaster type areas.

Speaking of which with the weather getting better and playing out in the sticks what is the Sweet F.A policy on bush fires?

Okay, I hit Netscape and found where this outback arena joint is.

It's in Parklea, which is ****ed, but they do blooming onions and popcorn prawns and steaks, so I'm feeling good about this game now.

Wooshette I would like to pre order three buckets of popcorn prawns, five of the onions, and a T-bone medium rare.

To be fair most of the weak spots are NaturalDisaster or in NaturalDisaster type areas.

Speaking of which with the weather getting better and playing out in the sticks what is the Sweet F.A policy on bush fires?
I don’t know about Sweet F.A policy but the Warriors bush fire plan is crawl into a wombat burrow and bring the beer. You guys will have to make your own plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back