AFL Evolution 2 Concept + New Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

The marking system makes zero sense, the players run chaotically without any fluidity. I'm not even saying Big Ant should exclusively develop it, just give it to a competent developer instead of cutting corners. Big Ant probably would be the more logical pick, though, since they've already got a better foundation for a Footy game and are in Australia. I don't think going to Konami or 2K would be realistic for many reasons.
Marking makes heaps of sense. It’s as simple as it needs to be and it doesn’t take a lot to understand how to do it. And all changing devs will do is make them need to start over again. And like I’ve said Big Ant have gone backwards like they did between DBC14 to 17 to Ashes Cricket and they will probably do the same thing from Live to another game. Their creation suite is ******* awesome though. If WW did the same thing there it would be perfect. I give Big Ant massive props for that. Such an in depth Stadium Creator is revolutionary, and the logo/uniform creation is off the charts in depth, although an NBA 2K style .png Import Option would be perfect for logos and stuff.
You can say it as many time as you want but it doesn't make it true. They're clearly using the foundations from the Wii version. Sure they've improved upon it especially with graphics but all three games are wonky messes where the players lack fluidity in their movements. And other than being a little faster, Evolution isn't much different to Live two.
Perhaps the biggest example I can give that Evolution is in fact that in Live 2 I used to find myself behind my opponent in marking contests and the ball would go through their chest for a mark to me. This doesn’t happen in Evolution. Of course there will probably be some other things but it’s been a long time since I played Live 2 so that’s the only one I can remember.

Does the hate for Evolution simply stem from the fact that it resembles Live 2’s graphic style (not quality) because Live 1 has a very distinct style and Live 2 had its own style. Of course they’re going to be the same from the same developer.
WW have made inroads title by title. Live 2 added State Leagues for the first time (albeit only the VFL and TAC Cup), Evolution added the Women’s league (granted it was the first title since the AFLW started) and sliders which are very important as you can tweak gameplay in almost every single way possible and then the season pack added 3 other state leagues (SANFL, WAFL and NEAFL) and the new Perth Stadium and now Evolution 2 is adding 3 more stadiums. I’ll be interested to see how they tackle the new conference system in the AFLW and potential overhaul of the TAC Cup (at the very least there will be 6 new teams)
So what does that leave on the Wishlist? Well not much.
Adding the TSL, adding Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns, adding Jiangwan Stadium in Shanghai and a Big Ant Style creation suite. Can’t really ask for much beyond that.

Marking makes heaps of sense. It’s as simple as it needs to be and it doesn’t take a lot to understand how to do it. And all changing devs will do is make them need to start over again. And like I’ve said Big Ant have gone backwards like they did between DBC14 to 17 to Ashes Cricket and they will probably do the same thing from Live to another game. Their creation suite is ******* awesome though. If WW did the same thing there it would be perfect. I give Big Ant massive props for that. Such an in depth Stadium Creator is revolutionary, and the logo/uniform creation is off the charts in depth, although an NBA 2K style .png Import Option would be perfect for logos and stuff.

Perhaps the biggest example I can give that Evolution is in fact that in Live 2 I used to find myself behind my opponent in marking contests and the ball would go through their chest for a mark to me. This doesn’t happen in Evolution. Of course there will probably be some other things but it’s been a long time since I played Live 2 so that’s the only one I can remember.

Does the hate for Evolution simply stem from the fact that it resembles Live 2’s graphic style (not quality) because Live 1 has a very distinct style and Live 2 had its own style. Of course they’re going to be the same from the same developer.
WW have made inroads title by title. Live 2 added State Leagues for the first time (albeit only the VFL and TAC Cup), Evolution added the Women’s league (granted it was the first title since the AFLW started) and sliders which are very important as you can tweak gameplay in almost every single way possible and then the season pack added 3 other state leagues (SANFL, WAFL and NEAFL) and the new Perth Stadium and now Evolution 2 is adding 3 more stadiums. I’ll be interested to see how they tackle the new conference system in the AFLW and potential overhaul of the TAC Cup (at the very least there will be 6 new teams)
So what does that leave on the Wishlist? Well not much.
Adding the TSL, adding Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns, adding Jiangwan Stadium in Shanghai and a Big Ant Style creation suite. Can’t really ask for much beyond that.
So the biggest example of change is they fixed a simple glitch, righto...

So the biggest example of change is they fixed a simple glitch, righto...
Like I said, it’s the biggest one I can remember since it’s been a while since I’ve played Live 2, but I’d say it’s a pretty important glitch

Like I said, it’s the biggest one I can remember since it’s been a while since I’ve played Live 2, but I’d say it’s a pretty important glitch
It's handy but it doesn't really counter my point that they've used the Wii version as the base since I already conceded that they made adjustments and it's a rather small change compared to the more major problems with the engine.

It's handy but it doesn't really counter my point that they've used the Wii version as the base since I already conceded that they made adjustments and it's a rather small change compared to the more major problems with the engine.
Pretty sure they would have built a new engine for PS4/XBOX and stated that they had.

It’s not “handy” it was a major glitch that made me realise I was better of ducking behind my opponent going for a mark. That’s not how Footy plays.

It’s not “handy” it was a major glitch that made me realise I was better of ducking behind my opponent going for a mark. That’s not how Footy plays.
Call it what ever you want to call it it doesn't really counter my point.

Pretty sure they would have built a new engine for PS4/XBOX and stated that they had.
Fair enough, they've just created a new engine with the similar problems then.

Call it what ever you want to call it it doesn't really counter my point.
You’re implying that a major glitch that affected how marking contests were played out was fixed to be more like footy is an optional extra by calling it “handy”
You just don’t like WW, that’s what this is.

You’re implying that a major glitch that affected how marking contests were played out was fixed to be more like footy is an optional extra by calling it “handy”
You just don’t like WW, that’s what this is.

Again, still doesn't counter my point. Call the change what ever you want, there a bigger problems I have with the WW AFL games.

Marking makes heaps of sense.
That's the biggest porky I've heard. The ball can go flying out of a players hands by over 20 metres when they're attempting to take an uncontested mark.

Adding more state league doesn't magically improve the gameplay. De-evolution sucks because the way the players move and flow is all jagged and incoherent, it's clearly a cash grab.

The newer Big Ant games are more grounded and coherent in the player movement. Lacrosse has a nice physics mechanic missing from Footy games, too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, the ball flying over 20 metres away when attempting to take an uncontested mark is how real Football physics work.
I’m not sure if you’re taking the piss here, but that’s called a s**t kick.
Are you seriously complaining because you tried to mark and the ball wasn’t near you?

Don’t know why people are defending the marking. It’s f*****g broken. Plain and simple. This is constructive criticism so that they can improve the game. I don’t know about you guys defending the flaws but I want the game to improve, not stay at the same mediocre level
AFL Live had marking down pretty well. Albeit with a lack of various animations it still worked well.
I don’t know how many times I’ve timed the marking 100% correctly and the ball goes straight past them. It’s not called a s**t kick, it’s called a flawed mechanic of the game.
It’s embarrassing that we accept the mediocrity because it’s an AFL game. By no means is it ever gonna be as good as NBA or FIFA but it can still improve.
However it won’t if nuffies praise the faults of the game just because it’s an AFL game

The game has a decent foundation. They just need to improve on the gameplay. Let that be heard to them. Defend the game for what it is and you accept the continuous shitstorm that is AFL gaming.
This is a chance to finally get some continuity in an AFL game series. Which is why I don’t understand people defending the flaws
Let it be heard and hopefully they improve on it

biggest thing animations when players kick, mark, handball etc make it so it's like an afl player disposal of the ball not an under 11s kid.

A tv style presentation like how fifa have with the epl. sure AFL can do either channel 7 or Fox Footy.

Gameplay is obviously biggest thing just need to make it so the AI is a lot more intelligent and it's not always a 1v1 every contest etc could go on for ages with what can be done.

As someone has mention have tactis set up on the dpad on the fly. eg loose man in defence, play the corridors, play defense and down the line etc, to add to this each side should have it's own identity so it's not like your playing 22 games that are the same each week and each game is different.
eg sydney higher contested, Richmond play a high line and pressure, hawks maintain possession.

Where Wicked could make money is an ultimate team for online like your fifa, nba etc all sports game r going this way, to have a higher amount of players to get as well maybe include past players for ultimate team.
lot more as well could be done but feel they have started off decent and layed the fountain to build for years to come.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It's been 10 years of continuity from Wicked Witch, though.
Not on console with a larger community and I’m gonna assume larger budget

They had like a year to make Live 2 which was an obvious port from the Wii due to the amount of time and funds they had
Other than that, Evolution 2 is the first game they can actually really build on as a successor

The AFL isn't interested in making a decent Football game. No idea why people are praising a poor product and accepting it, when the AFL is purposely neglecting something other sporting and entertainment companies wouldn't do. The "they won't make money" excuse is invalid, because these other companies will do it for marketing and publicity to draw in new people. The AFL already blows a tonne of money of things that they'll never see a dime from. So that excuse is nothing but enabling their neglect.
I agree. They need to invest into these games and haven’t come to the realisation that video gaming is a massive industry that done right could put AFL on the map.

The new games haven’t cut it for me. Their not even significantly better than 2004 AFL Premiership game on the classic Xbox and which was a great game and I still enjoy it over the AFL Live games

They need to make a Creation Suite/Social Hub, like with NBA 2K how you can upload a custom sponsor or logo so others can download,like or share that content and you can apply that content to your custom Guernsey or Stadium.

Create a Guernsey should consist of a selection of basic design templates for each club, collar/cuff designs,team logos,sponsors, licenced manufacturers and a colour editor.

Create a stadium could just consist of a selection of stands, scoreboard and barricade templates. For example if you wanted Metricon Stadiums stands for your custom clubs home field but your team colours are predominantly blue, you should be able to edit the seat colors from red to blue.The stadium name could be a combination of up to 4 words e.g 'Perth Dome' or 'Royal Sydney Stadium'.

Dynamic weather/time/lighting would be pretty sweet too.

Last edited:
AFL Wii came out after AFL Live.
My mistake, I thought it came out in 2009.
That being said the game on the Wii means * all as it’s a console that has been phased out and there’s no AFL game for the newer Nintendo consoles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back