Player Watch 2018 retirements and delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Bell, Rohan Bewick, Marco Paparone, Claye Beams, Jake Barrett all delisted.

Paparone looked like he was going to be a decent player in his 3rd year. Played 22 games averaging 19 possies & 6.4 marks. Not sure whether it was injuries or form for him falling out of favour over the last 2 years. Hopefully he gets another chance at AFL level as de-listed free agent.

Paparone looked like he was going to be a decent player in his 3rd year. Played 22 games averaging 19 possies & 6.4 marks. Not sure whether it was injuries or form for him falling out of favour over the last 2 years. Hopefully he gets another chance at AFL level as de-listed free agent.

When you analyse further, that year he was basically playing as a 195cm kick-gathering loose defender, who had (despite getting plenty of ball, and plenty of opposition forward 50 entries) a relatively low number of intercept possessions and 1%ers. I guess (along with the injuries) there was questions over his ability to actually defend as a tall defender.

Repeated injury, never improved, overhyped because he could perform a gymnastic floor routine.

Was actually better in his debut year than any other. Think we are planning only taking only two injury riddled small forwards into 2019.

Why we have them at all is a good question because when I watched us play this year we had Danger, Kelly, Ablett playing those roles.

Was actually better in his debut year than any other. Think we are planning only taking only two injury riddled small forwards into 2019.

Why we have them at all is a good question because when I watched us play this year we had Danger, Kelly, Ablett playing those roles.

I think Cockatoo is worth persisting with. Could become a similar player to Jed Anderson (coincidentally, also an Indigenous player from the NT) with fitness and midfield time.

I think Cockatoo has a lot of potential but he just can't get on the park.

Would Geelong be better playing him closer to goals and not in the midfield to lessen the load on his hammies?

Cause those injured small forwards know how to put pressure on unlike the names mentioned

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alex Johnson can call it day knowing he gave it all he had. Not on the same scale obviously, but a bit like how Jason McCartney played that comeback game then finished up.

Would take a hard headed individual to still want to push forward despite a 6th reco and knock back an off field role.

Feel sorry for the bloke but the Swans have done enough.

Maybe Johnson, Nathan Freeman, Anthony Morabito and a few other hard luck stories can get together and do a ‘Last Chance Saloon’ version of The Recruit?

Can totally understand AJ not wanting an “off field” role at the Swans.

That would have been more mentally challenging watching from the other side of the fence than actually doing the knee rehab.

He will get a spot in a coaching department somewhere with-in days

Looks like six of the seven 34/35yo's (Burgoyne, Sandilands, Morris, Simpson, Ablett, Hodge) will play on, with only Waite retiring. Unusual.

With player management strategies improving every year there's no reason why more and more players shouldn't be able to play on to 33-35 years of age. 33 is the new 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back