Amazing teams that could have been...

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really at all. We won flag in 1979, 1981 and 1982.
Jezza was the coach in 1979, he was towards of end of his playing days but as coach ,him missing 1980 shocked our players and Percy Jones coach for year was a disaster and meant it ended up being a gap year for players to get over Jezza gone as coach. That was only year Percy coached which tells you he was not up to it. Got in a half decent coach to pick up the shocked group of players and re-align them to win another two premierships. I have no doubt 4 flags in a row without the gap year of Percy Jones emergency coach.
Hmmm... if we’re playing what ifs we should’ve won in 82. But I propose something else. You give us 72 for a threepeat and we’ll give you 80 for four in a row?

Kouta, Silvagni, Sexton and Christou not injured at wrong times and not only a chance but I suspect we actually win. In the end we were not able to contend at finals time. Kouta, Sexton and Christou already gone. Bradley and Hickmott I think just back for finals but then SOS ripped hamstring off bone and that was end of us. Sometimes injuries just cruel an amazing side at wrong times. We had won 13 straight when we were going and Kouta flying. Could not see dons stopping us had Kouta never done his knee and those others guys not injured. Was not to be so you guys had nothing to beat in September. we were all left to watch Dees play you. I fear for Giants, without Josh Kelly, Tom Scully, Jon Patton, Heath Shaw and a number 1 ruck they making up numbers this finals series too. Hope I am wrong and they get back Josh Kelly but they seem to have luck against them this year like we did in 2000.

I think memory is playing tricks on this, sadly... we had no chance against Essendon in 2000.

We won 12 straight, and then lost the week before we played Essendon to the Bulldogs, who were a mid-table team. The following week we lost to Port, who finished second last. We lost 5 of our last 7 games for the year and were barefully average come finals time.

2000 Carlton had star talent and veteran experience, but the huge problem was depth. We had been so reliant on topping up with players from other clubs, and came into that year having traded away our first 3 draft picks for O'Reilly and Michael Mansfield, while basically shunning the draft for 5 years before and after. It meant that come the Essendon game, we were featuring such AFL superstars as Heath Culpitt, Scott Freeborn, Trent Hotton, Simon Fletcher, Darren Hulme and the walking train wreck that was Stephen O'Reilly's Carlton career.

I think Carlton with a fit Koutoufides were the only team who COULD have beaten Essendon that year - in a final, if Essendon melted down under pressure, and a few other things went their way.

But remember, in the 1999 preliminary final Essendon were missing Hird, Lucas AND they kicked 14.19 (and had 9 more scoring shots) AND Koutoufides played the best game of his career - and we won by a point. In 2000, you can add Hird, Lucas and John Barnes to Essendon, while giving us Mansfield and O'Reilly... and its pretty hard to make a case carlton would have won...

I think memory is playing tricks on this, sadly....

We won 12 straight

13 in a row. Check below. Like Dons, that year it was Terry Wallace Dogs that ended the winning streak.

We were all robbed that season from a sensational grand final if not for injuries towards the end of home and away series.

Carlton 26.13 (169) Port Adelaide 12.6 (78) Optus Oval 16,415 Saturday, 15 April

Richmond 10.9 (69) Carlton 18.12 (120) MCG 63,149 Monday, 24 April

Carlton 16.13 (109) Sydney 9.10 (64) Optus Oval 19,964 Sunday, 30 April

Fremantle 13.4 (82) Carlton 21.21 (147) Subiaco Oval 28,421 Sunday, 7 May

St Kilda 11.16 (82) Carlton 15.19 (109) Colonial Stadium 38,151 Saturday, 13 May

Carlton 20.9 (129) Kangaroos 15.9 (99) Optus Oval 28,944 Saturday, 20 May

West Coast 11.12 (78) Carlton 20.8 (128) Subiaco Oval 39,968 Sunday, 28 May

Melbourne 9.7 (61) Carlton 25.9 (159) MCG 41,889 Saturday, 3 June

Carlton 15.17 (107) Geelong 15.7 (97) Optus Oval 31,988 Sunday, 11 June

Carlton 19.6 (120) Adelaide 14.12 (96) Optus Oval 25,563 Saturday, 17 June

Brisbane Lions 17.10 (112) Carlton 23.18 (156) Gabba 34,743 Sunday, 25 June

Hawthorn 9.9 (63) Carlton 18.12 (120) MCG 48,268 Sunday, 2 July

Carlton 28.12 (180) Collingwood 10.9 (69) Optus Oval 30,096 Sunday, 9 July

The Round 20 game was a great gauge, at the time both teams were in top form and it was neck and neck until Carlton was down two on the bench, including Kouta. It was only in the final quarter that you kicked away because we didn't have the legs. You of all people should know how much of an impact a fit, healthy Kouta would've had in that game and especially in the finals, where he plays some of his best games.

But remember, in the 1999 preliminary final
We were s**t in 1999. Were not even a top 4 side. We got a double chance from 6th spot in stupid system. We duly played our best two games of year the following two weeks with nothing to lose.
It is like the opposite theme of thread, when an ordinary team makes most of their luck and makes a grand final when not an amazing team at all. We just played an amazing two weeks to get there but were an average team. Following season the complete opposite, developed into a gun side but only for injuries to derail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port 2018- lost against Adelaide by 3 points, west coast by 4 (Dixon, Ryder and Houston all injured during the game), Fremantle by 9 (two players down), hawthorn by 3. Couple of things go our way and we could had been top 2. If buts and maybes. Means nothing

seasons can be made or broken by a poor decision, skill error or two. no doubt port could point to some of the above but equally we could look at nearly loosing, to brisbane in the early rounds. In fact we should have lost.

The warning signs of a bad season were there early. Dare I say it, we will be around 12th next year unless we de-list players who don't "play for the team". If correct, we are in for a rebuild and anyone 27 or older simply isn't part of our next window. Meaning we blew a great opportunity to build from that exciting brand of footy that nearly knocked over the eventual premiers the hawks.

I think memory is playing tricks on this, sadly... we had no chance against Essendon in 2000.

We won 12 straight, and then lost the week before we played Essendon to the Bulldogs, who were a mid-table team. The following week we lost to Port, who finished second last. We lost 5 of our last 7 games for the year and were barefully average come finals time.

2000 Carlton had star talent and veteran experience, but the huge problem was depth. We had been so reliant on topping up with players from other clubs, and came into that year having traded away our first 3 draft picks for O'Reilly and Michael Mansfield, while basically shunning the draft for 5 years before and after. It meant that come the Essendon game, we were featuring such AFL superstars as Heath Culpitt, Scott Freeborn, Trent Hotton, Simon Fletcher, Darren Hulme and the walking train wreck that was Stephen O'Reilly's Carlton career.

I think Carlton with a fit Koutoufides were the only team who COULD have beaten Essendon that year - in a final, if Essendon melted down under pressure, and a few other things went their way.

But remember, in the 1999 preliminary final Essendon were missing Hird, Lucas AND they kicked 14.19 (and had 9 more scoring shots) AND Koutoufides played the best game of his career - and we won by a point. In 2000, you can add Hird, Lucas and John Barnes to Essendon, while giving us Mansfield and O'Reilly... and its pretty hard to make a case carlton would have won...
In 2001 Essendon had Hird in there, we had no Kouta, Bradley and Allan. You remember that Round 3 game don't you?

Point is, saying we had "no chance" is nonsense. Watch the Round 20 game in 2000 and see how close the game was until we had two players down on the bench, that was a real finals atmosphere. In 1999 we weren't even a top 2 side, so you can't really compare. Essendon were very happy they had to contend with a limping and injured Carlton - the last thing they wanted was a rampant Carlton with a fit Kouta in the GF. When you break down the last 5 of 7, three of those games we probably should have won (including vs Port when they won after the siren). Round 20 could have gone either way had we a full bench.

We will never know, but a 2008 Hawks-like situation could have happened just as well.

1951 - Coleman shouldn’t have been rubbed out for so long. Maybe if he were Trent Cotchin he would’ve gotten off but no luck for Coleman.

1996 - probably a little bit behind North and Sydney, but given 1994 and 1998 we probably underperformed a bit and 96 was the closest of the lot, with the point after the siren in the prelim (away against the minor premiers too).

1999 - much worse than 96 for obvious reasons.

2001 - minor premiers, 43-6 from the last 49 matches, playing in Melbourne while brisbane had to travel. And lead by a few goals at half time.

Apparently there was some campaigner call Norm Smith that did alright for us back in the day, basically since 1964 we’ve kind of needed him every year.

Maybe not in 2018. If only you had Lever and Hogan in a two weeks times.

Still some hope left but going to be tough coming back from Perth to prepare for grand final when other team been sitting back at home easing up since the Friday night in bed.

Dees v Giants grand final would be a fair fight though as they would at least have flown back that night themselves.
No Scully, Shaw and Patton for them. No Kelly , ruckman or Griffen on weekend. They doing well to still be standing. Everything falling into place to say Tigers back to back prime opportunity to lose.

I think the best Carlton nomination for this thread are the potential 1987-1995 teams that never were. As backstory, in 1985 Carlton raided the SANFL for the best young talent, throwing the chequebook around to get as much interstate talent as the league went national.

We signed 4 key players - Stephen Kernahan, Craig Bradley, John Platten, Peter Motley (as well as Jon Dorotich from WA)
Kernahan and Bradley were two of the best players ever for the Blues.

Platten had signed an agreement with Hawthorn but wanted to break it after Carlton offered more money. It went to court and he ended up a Hawk, where he played 250+ games, won 2x Bnf and won 4 premiership.

Peter Motley was a fantastically versatile player and rated by many as good as Kernahan and Bradley. He was All Australian as a 19yo, and played so well in 95 games at Sturt before coming to the blues he was named in their team if the century. Was a key player for the Blues at age 22 in 1987 when he had a car accident and his career was ended.

How good would our 1987 team have been? We won the premiership already, and Platten won the best and fairest for Hawthorn who were runners up. Swap him, and add Motley... and it probably impacts 1988 too

Or 1995? Again, this was one of the most dominant teams ever, but add Platten to a midfield featuring Williams and Bradley? Or even 1993? Platten would have been 30, and Motley 28 then, so both right in their primes.

You were an excellent team in 1980 and deserved the flag whilst our boys had a gap year off the rails with Percy Jones coach and players not over the shock of Jezza going in off season. My point was the reason that was a singular premiership for your boys is because there were others teams more talented to come up like Dons and Hawks rising and us getting back on track hence your last hurrah was 1982 when we won our back to back flags and got back guys like Jonhston and Boustow that were missing in middle part of that 82 finals series. Once The Dominator was back from his two week suspension the gig was up for your boys but very worthy runners up in 1982. That was your last contention. Pretty much rubbish in 1983 as guys like Bartlett were past it then that was still brilliant 3 years earlier. Hawks, Dons, Lions, Blues and North were clearly the contenders in 1983 and tigers nowhere near it.
1980 was a good flag to grab whilst we were off the rails with Jezza gone and all you had to compete with was Collingwood whom were an honest, hard working team but not talented enough to win premierships.

Partly agree but 1980 was a very talented team that didn't fulfil its potential for a variety of reasons.

1982 was a lost opportunity, similar to how the old-timers talk about 1972. Richmond disposed of Carlton very comfortably in the 2nd semi and were pronounced favourites. But history is written by the winners, and three flags in four years made it a great era for Carlton.

Mid 80s Essendon were the only team that the great Hawthorn team of that era feared. I often think about the possibility of that side winning 3-4 in a row.

Tim Watson is one of the true talismanic players I’ve come across. He is in the best 10 or so players I have seen play the game in the past 40 years. The proof of that is reflective in the slump that occurred when he was wiped out for the best part of 2 years (‘86/‘87) with a knee injury.

We also had the loss of Neagle to Sydney in ‘86, a total of 15 games for VanderHaar from ‘86-‘88, Daisy Williams playing just 4 games in ‘86, and Merrett playing with a damaged elbow. We were well below full strength.

Add to that the fact that possibly the most gifted player of that era for us was Neale Daniher (Timmy and Leon Baker might be above him). Neale played barely a game of footy after ‘81. To have had him slotting in to that team in his peak years would have been something to behold.
Bombers were very unlucky with injuries in ‘86. Still good enough to flog the eventual premiers Hawthorn by 14 goals at Windy Hill late in the season. I was very relieved that Fitzroy was able to knock Essendon out in the Elimination Final.

Didn't mean s**t in '99.

lol, who was missing in ‘99 again? And you want to use *that*.

You couldnt beat the bulldogs with Kouta, you weren’t getting within cooee of us.

It’s ok though, I understand your angst. You beat us in a prelim and shat your pants the week after. We beat you in a prelim and won the premiership the week after.

In 2001 Essendon had Hird in there, we had no Kouta, Bradley and Allan. You remember that Round 3 game don't you?

Point is, saying we had "no chance" is nonsense. Watch the Round 20 game in 2000 and see how close the game was until we had two players down on the bench, that was a real finals atmosphere. In 1999 we weren't even a top 2 side, so you can't really compare. Essendon were very happy they had to contend with a limping and injured Carlton - the last thing they wanted was a rampant Carlton with a fit Kouta in the GF. When you break down the last 5 of 7, three of those games we probably should have won (including vs Port when they won after the siren). Round 20 could have gone either way had we a full bench.

We will never know, but a 2008 Hawks-like situation could have happened just as well.

We will obviously never know, and I've said I think a miracle could have happened.

But this thread is about amazing teams, and Carlton in 2000 just weren't that amazing even at full strength. Kouta was playing basically the best footy I've seen anyone play and we had some real stars. But we also had pitiful depth and were carrying some very average players too. We relied heavily on blokes over 30 and when they wore down as the year went on we fell away. 5 losses from 7 to end the year - and even though they were close it was still a sign of where we were at.

Kouta, Silvagni, Sexton and Christou not injured at wrong times and not only a chance but I suspect we actually win. In the end we were not able to contend at finals time. Kouta, Sexton and Christou already gone. Bradley and Hickmott I think just back for finals but then SOS ripped hamstring off bone and that was end of us. Sometimes injuries just cruel an amazing side at wrong times. We had won 13 straight when we were going and Kouta flying. Could not see dons stopping us had Kouta never done his knee and those others guys not injured. Was not to be so you guys had nothing to beat in September. we were all left to watch Dees play you. I fear for Giants, without Josh Kelly, Tom Scully, Jon Patton, Heath Shaw and a number 1 ruck they making up numbers this finals series too. Hope I am wrong and they get back Josh Kelly but they seem to have luck against them this year like we did in 2000.

:tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back