Amazing teams that could have been...

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the best Carlton nomination for this thread are the potential 1987-1995 teams that never were. As backstory, in 1985 Carlton raided the SANFL for the best young talent,
Do not really agree. I agree about the Peter Motley part, I think the late 80's probably should have won one more flag if things had gone our way if he not have his life nearly ended and Johnston not injured in 88 finals. But from 1989 to 1991 we were going downhill as most of the talented types from super talented team of early 80's had retired. This team was not as talented going into early 90's. I do not count the Platten stuff as all those clubs of Carlton, Hawks. Swans and Essendon were fighting each other for best players from interstate and all got their fair share of hits and misses. Hawks got Platten and Jarman. We got Bradley, Motley, Sticks and Naley. Dons got Anderson and Antrobus. Swans got Healy, Williams, Neagle, Bolton and Toohey from other clubs.

Few years on us getting Earl Spalding and Greg Williams through trades set us back up to contend in early to mid 90's. Added Brad Pearce, Matt Clape, Brent Heaver and Dean Rice to compliment things and I think 1994 we lost our way at end of home and away series. Our best was the best that year but lost all form at finals time which in turn meant those players were burning inside to make up for in 1995 and duly won 16 straight to take the flag as dominant team. Maybe if we won 1994 the hunger in 95 not there. There were some good teams in mid 90's like Cats, North and Eagles so flags probably should have been spread around rather than more than one.

We will obviously never know, and I've said I think a miracle could have happened.

But this thread is about amazing teams, and Carlton in 2000 just weren't that amazing
13 wins in a row with average winning margin around 9 goals is amazing. Easy to forget because it all went off rails with Sexton, Kouta, Bradley, SOS and others getting injured at the worst possible times but amazing all the same before it ended. In some ways I understand trying to forget it as did not amount to much because of injuries. All glory went to Essendon as their winning streak although ended by Dogs still was able to end well with the premiership. Amazing season where two teams had such amazing winning streaks of dominance.
13 wins is row always amazing.... not many seasons have a team have such a winning streak with such an average winning margin in history.

Carlton 26.13 (169) Port Adelaide 12.6 (78) Optus Oval 16,415 Saturday, 15 April

Richmond 10.9 (69) Carlton 18.12 (120) MCG 63,149 Monday, 24 April

Carlton 16.13 (109) Sydney 9.10 (64) Optus Oval 19,964 Sunday, 30 April

Fremantle 13.4 (82) Carlton 21.21 (147) Subiaco Oval 28,421 Sunday, 7 May

St Kilda 11.16 (82) Carlton 15.19 (109) Colonial Stadium 38,151 Saturday, 13 May

Carlton 20.9 (129) Kangaroos 15.9 (99) Optus Oval 28,944 Saturday, 20 May

West Coast 11.12 (78) Carlton 20.8 (128) Subiaco Oval 39,968 Sunday, 28 May

Melbourne 9.7 (61) Carlton 25.9 (159) MCG 41,889 Saturday, 3 June

Carlton 15.17 (107) Geelong 15.7 (97) Optus Oval 31,988 Sunday, 11 June

Carlton 19.6 (120) Adelaide 14.12 (96) Optus Oval 25,563 Saturday, 17 June

Brisbane Lions 17.10 (112) Carlton 23.18 (156) Gabba 34,743 Sunday, 25 June

Hawthorn 9.9 (63) Carlton 18.12 (120) MCG 48,268 Sunday, 2 July

Carlton 28.12 (180) Collingwood 10.9 (69) Optus Oval 30,096 Sunday, 9 July

13 wins in a row with average winning margin around 9 goals is amazing. Easy to forget because it all went off rails with Sexton, Kouta, Bradley, SOS and others getting injured at the worst possible times but amazing all the same before it ended. In some ways I understand trying to forget it as did not amount to much because of injuries. All glory went to Essendon as their winning streak although ended by Dogs still was able to end well with the premiership. Amazing season where two teams had such amazing winning streaks of dominance.
13 wins is row always amazing.... not many seasons have a team have such a winning streak with such an average winning margin in history.

Amazing what a team can achieve when a club pays the players with brown paper bags full of cash.

Amazing what a team can achieve when a club pays the players with brown paper bags full of cash.

Plenty of teams had players paid in brown paper bags back then and other eras that never had such a winning patch of form like those 13 wins were. Amazing patch of form any way you look at it. Was amazing to see at time. Was a lopsided year though as were only team that could hope to take flag other than Dons. When Kouta and then SOS out whole season was a fizzer to see two strong teams make grand final. We were left with s**t of Dees v Dons instead of a grand finale to season.

lol, who was missing in ‘99 again? And you want to use *that*.

You couldnt beat the bulldogs with Kouta, you weren’t getting within cooee of us.

It’s ok though, I understand your angst. You beat us in a prelim and shat your pants the week after. We beat you in a prelim and won the premiership the week after.
Carlton weren't as good in '99 and you know it. If you want to talk about adjoining years then about about '01 when we beat you twice, and you threw the Round 22 game because you were too chickenshit to face us in a QF?

That they didn't beat the Bulldogs is hardly relevant - there were sides the Hawks didn't beat in '08 yet when it mattered they beat the seemingly invincible team by that stage had a more dominant season than Essendon 2000. This just goes to show that winning the premiership isn't and will never be a "given", no matter how dominant you are in the H&A season. As I said already, the Round 20 game was a good indicator - the teams were practically neck and neck in a finals atmosphere game yet Carlton could not keep up because they had 2 down on the bench in the final quarter. Things may have been different if the injuries didn't happen.

You are lying if you are going to claim to not be the least nervous if Carlton were fielding a fit team for the GF. They were much better than Melbourne for most of the year. Carlton were the only team that year anywhere near capable of stopping Essendon in the big dance. Someone mentioned earlier than in a 49 game stretch, you guys only lost 6 games. In 3 of those games, it was Carlton who beat you.

Bombers were very unlucky with injuries in ‘86. Still good enough to flog the eventual premiers Hawthorn by 14 goals at Windy Hill late in the season. I was very relieved that Fitzroy was able to knock Essendon out in the Elimination Final.
Unlike some seasons where you get a feeling for a team’s momentum and drive for success, ‘86 was a stuttering frustrating mess where the wind was taken out of our sales with Timmy’s injury. I had little confidence that we could go all the way without his spark. Merv’s loss was also big. He was tough and skilled and gave us a lot of drive. Plus we lost our contested ball winner in Daisy. We wouldn’t have beaten Hawthorn of ‘88/‘89 but ‘86-‘87 were the years where a fit and firing team could’ve made real history.

Got flogged by Geelong in preliminary by 16 goals, whom in turn were only the second best team of that year being 4 wins between first and second on ladder. Carlton then flogged Cats and were 85 points up in grand final before easing up to let Cats kick last 4 goals of grand final as we celebrated. Tigers 1995 team were a mile off...
1995 massive salary cap cheats carlton

Port 2018- lost against Adelaide by 3 points, west coast by 4 (Dixon, Ryder and Houston all injured during the game), Fremantle by 9 (two players down), hawthorn by 3. Couple of things go our way and we could had been top 2. If buts and maybes. Means nothing
LOL injuries no excuse to losing to Freo, they are putrid.

Carlton weren't as good in '99 and you know it. If you want to talk about adjoining years then about about '01 when we beat you twice, and you threw the Round 22 game because you were too chickenshit to face us in a QF?

That they didn't beat the Bulldogs is hardly relevant - there were sides the Hawks didn't beat in '08 yet when it mattered they beat the seemingly invincible team by that stage had a more dominant season than Essendon 2000. This just goes to show that winning the premiership isn't and will never be a "given", no matter how dominant you are in the H&A season. As I said already, the Round 20 game was a good indicator - the teams were practically neck and neck in a finals atmosphere game yet Carlton could not keep up because they had 2 down on the bench in the final quarter. Things may have been different if the injuries didn't happen.

You are lying if you are going to claim to not be the least nervous if Carlton were fielding a fit team for the GF. They were much better than Melbourne for most of the year. Carlton were the only team that year anywhere near capable of stopping Essendon in the big dance. Someone mentioned earlier than in a 49 game stretch, you guys only lost 6 games. In 3 of those games, it was Carlton who beat you.
We had no Fletcher and an injured Hird that night. Didn't play again until the finals. That more than cancels out Bradley and Kouta.

Subiaco 2016 & 2017, and 2018 will be here in two weeks. I reckon they'll choke in the GF after going 18-0 and winning the 2nd Semi.

Carlton in 2000. Kouta, the best player in the competition, does his knee vs Essendon in Round 20 early on in front of the biggest crowd in H&A history for a Carlton v Essendon game. His knee clashed with Jason Johnson's during a ruck contest. The two teams were pretty much neck and neck until the final quarter where Essendon kicked away after Bradley did his hamstring, so Carlton were two down on the bench. The next week, the Bulldogs beat them. Carlton didn't resort to flooding tactics though and had were even stevens with them for most of the game. Kouta IMO would've made the difference at the end, they were the only team in the competition that had the class and ability to thwart an Essendon flag but it all came undone with injuries to some very important players Losing Kouta at full flight hurt - a lot - there wasn't a thing Essendon could've done to stop him at full flight.

I have no doubt we would have made Essendon s**t their pants in the GF with a fully fit team with Koutoufides, anything could've happened on that day. Just look at Geelong in 2008 as a great case example of how a seemingly invincible team can be beaten (at that point Geelong had a greater dominant year than Essendon's 2000 until the Hawks spoiled it) It would've been a hell of a lot more competitive than what Melbourne dished up. Memories of him single-handedly taking the PF away from them would've been on their minds I'm sure. I remember the year after in 2001 they deliberately tanked the Richmond game in Round 22 so we wouldn't finish top 4 and face them. In fact, The Old Dark Navy's made an epic thread about that as it happened... remember it from such a long time ago.

Great post, but those Dons in 2000 were pretty unbelievable.

The 1993 Cats missing finals is just incredible. Smashed Eagles in Perth. Smashed North and Hawks weeks earlier and did not even make the finals. Meanwhile my team and Essendon weeks later playing in the grand final and pinching myself as thought neither of us were the two best teams but one of us was going to win a flag. Like 1983 it was a weird season where the best teams did not even make the grand final.

1993 was a bullshit season with 20 games, 15 teams and a final 6. Given how even it was a standard 22 game season would've made a huge difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had no Fletcher and an injured Hird that night. Didn't play again until the finals. That more than cancels out Bradley and Kouta.
Do you know how hard it is to win a game of football with two men down? Especially against quality opposition? At least you had all your bench rotations, so no, it doesn't cancel anything out.

I alway felt Hawthorn could have done something special had Buddy not left.

Port 2018- lost against Adelaide by 3 points, west coast by 4 (Dixon, Ryder and Houston all injured during the game), Fremantle by 9 (two players down), hawthorn by 3. Couple of things go our way and we could had been top 2. If buts and maybes. Means nothing

The thread title is "Amazing teams...". Port Adelaide is no "amazing" team.

The 1993 Cats missing finals is just incredible. Smashed Eagles in Perth. Smashed North and Hawks weeks earlier and did not even make the finals. Meanwhile my team and Essendon weeks later playing in the grand final and pinching myself as thought neither of us were the two best teams but one of us was going to win a flag. Like 1983 it was a weird season where the best teams did not even make the grand final.

I agree, Geelong 93 is the ultimate could have been. I think we missed on % after another teams result didn't go our way in the final round. After 1992, 93 was such a waste of a season

1993 was a bullshit season with 20 games, 15 teams and a final 6. Given how even it was a standard 22 game season would've made a huge difference.
Still cannot recall exactly why it was only 20 rounds. If the World Cup was at MCG when Pakistan beat England I suspect the footy season started two weeks later is my best guess. Was an incredible season in so many ways. Just listened to podcast of 1993 where Robert Shaw speaks of Fitzroy season. Absolute amazing stuff to listen to. At one point the coaches phone line at the G for Essendon he could hear on his own phone and he was countering every move Sheedy would make as knew every time what Sheedy told runner. He did not let on to Sheedy until later in second quarter he heard every world earlier..lol

Episode 3 - Fitzroy: Once more with feeling
https://omny.fm/shows/the-greatest-season-that-was-93/episode-3-fitzroy

The only teams in my short history with the game that should/could have done more than they did were:

St Kilda 2009-2010, funnily enough they probably would have done more and won at least one premiership if it wasn't for Ross Lyon but he gets all the credit for taking them there.

Collingwood 2010 onwards, after winning that premiership in 2010 and dominating the next season with a really young team before being beaten by dad's army.

Sydney 2012 onwards, won a premiership and then picked up arguably the best player in the league as their forward line focal point - lost in 2014 with the better side and have underachieved since.

lol nowhere near it, would have gotten knocked out first round even if they did make it

Carlton 26.13 (169) Port Adelaide 12.6 (78) Optus Oval 16,415 Saturday, 15 April

Richmond 10.9 (69) Carlton 18.12 (120) MCG 63,149 Monday, 24 April

Carlton 16.13 (109) Sydney 9.10 (64) Optus Oval 19,964 Sunday, 30 April

Fremantle 13.4 (82) Carlton 21.21 (147) Subiaco Oval 28,421 Sunday, 7 May

St Kilda 11.16 (82) Carlton 15.19 (109) Colonial Stadium 38,151 Saturday, 13 May

Carlton 20.9 (129) Kangaroos 15.9 (99) Optus Oval 28,944 Saturday, 20 May

West Coast 11.12 (78) Carlton 20.8 (128) Subiaco Oval 39,968 Sunday, 28 May

Melbourne 9.7 (61) Carlton 25.9 (159) MCG 41,889 Saturday, 3 June

Carlton 15.17 (107) Geelong 15.7 (97) Optus Oval 31,988 Sunday, 11 June

Carlton 19.6 (120) Adelaide 14.12 (96) Optus Oval 25,563 Saturday, 17 June

Brisbane Lions 17.10 (112) Carlton 23.18 (156) Gabba 34,743 Sunday, 25 June

Hawthorn 9.9 (63) Carlton 18.12 (120) MCG 48,268 Sunday, 2 July

Carlton 28.12 (180) Collingwood 10.9 (69) Optus Oval 30,096 Sunday, 9 July

Carlton had already lost three games BEFORE that winning streak (including to Collingwood who came second last and Essendon who were easily the best side in the competition. By the end of that winning streak Carlton was three games and 25 percentage points behind Essendon on the ladder.) Late season injuries are irrelevant really, they just dropped Carlton back from second best to lower.

And to put some more colour on the winning streak, eight of those wins were against the eight teams that missed finals.

Dogs 97-98 are the two years that really stand out (IMO) as missed opportunities, having a list more than capable of doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back