FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t recall an AFL coach as widely loathed by his players than Neeld was (and still is).

Has there ever been a public example of a Demons player having anything positive to say about him?
Scott Watters?

Few things...

They cracked it over the captaincy being told it was a players vote when it wasn't? Doesn't seem like a big deal or a a very big lie. Sounds like 2 older players still holding a grudge.

More importantly..

How many incorrect versions of the Blight pre game towel story are there? if it only happened once then the Geelong players have very bad memories cause Couch, Brownless and Neeld have very different recollections about it.

Mark Brayshaw was a key board member at North during the Gold Coast push - his late shift from being pro-Gold Coast to against it infuriated the AFL and ultimately sank it. That his time on the North board, his often volatile relationship with James, and the Gold Coast wasn't even mentioned on Open Mike is incredible.

Last edited:
Mark Brayshaw was a key board member at North during the Gold Coast push - his late shift from being pro-Gold Coast to against it infuriated the AFL and ultimately sank it. That his time on the North board, his often volatile relationship with James, and his time on the North board wasn't even mentioned on Open Mike is incredible.
Really I didn't know that. That would have made for a much more appealing episode imo

Mark Brayshaw was a key board member at North during the Gold Coast push - his late shift from being pro-Gold Coast to against it infuriated the AFL and ultimately sank it. That his time on the North board, his often volatile relationship with James, and his time on the North board wasn't even mentioned on Open Mike is incredible.

What did they cover then? Not surprised in typical Sheahan style that the promos were all about the Gaff incident but surely they didn't spend a large amount of time on the AFL Coaches Association, the most uninteresting issue in footy.

What did they cover then? Not surprised in typical Sheahan style that the promos were all about the Gaff incident but surely they didn't spend a large amount of time on the AFL Coaches Association, the most uninteresting issue in footy.

His kids, Gaff, Angus's helmet, his moderate playing career, the manure at Punt Road. That's about it. AFLCA barely rated a mention either.

Geez, my prediction of it being half Gaff/half manure wasn't far off the mark.

Have hardly watched it this year but based on this thread it seems if anything Sheahan's gotten even lazier in his interviewing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kids, Gaff, Angus's helmet, his moderate playing career, the manure at Punt Road. That's about it. AFLCA barely rated a mention either.
His old man got 10/44 against victoria playing for w.a. back in the day. I fou d the family history interesting. An incredibly talented sporting family in its third generation.

Also has a son in the army currently serving in afganistan.

Mark Brayshaw was a key board member at North during the Gold Coast push - his late shift from being pro-Gold Coast to against it infuriated the AFL and ultimately sank it. That his time on the North board, his often volatile relationship with James, and the Gold Coast wasn't even mentioned on Open Mike is incredible.
I agree but given all this was covered in depth in the recent doco i can understand why it wasn't included.

I agree but given all this was covered in depth in the recent doco i can understand why it wasn't included.

The Gaff hit has been covered in depth recently too. If it was a special on footy dads then fine. But far and away the most significant thing Mark Brayshaw has done in footy was at North in 2007 and it wasn't even mentioned. Even his current role with the AFLCA was given no time. But we all got to see the picture of Andrew's busted face again so play on.

The concept of Open Mike is still magic; Mike just isn't the right person for it.
He's not a particularly good interviewer, never has been.

I think he's one of those who lucked it in his profession but worked the luck to his advantage.
Has never shown great knowledge or astuteness.

Very meh.

He seemed very shocked with Marks measured response to the Gaff hit. Talking about how he thinks it was an accident and Andrew lowered his body before the hit. Also the forgiveness and worry about Gaff and his family. Mike didn't seem to like that and seemed to be pushing for Mark to say something controversial instead of just moving on.

I think he's one of those who lucked it in his profession but worked the luck to his advantage.

Very meh.
Sheahan has always been very weak in discussing important off field issues, to the point where he just refuses to. He’s purely on field and never been got at that, totally refused to understand modern game. How on earth he was ever made Chief Football writer!

How on earth he was ever made Chief Football writer!
It's strange; but the slob is now; so obviously they don't take it too seriously when appointing.

Very meh.

Yeah, it’s embarrassing when he appears on SEN’s morning show and the co-hosts treat him as some sage who is eternally perceptive.

He filled a role on ‘On The Couch’ and 3AW’s footy coverage but even there he often came across as a bit of a dullard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back