AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Look. I hope he stays and he does get his body in some sort of order but forgive me for not being glass half full. He slid in the draft because of concerns about his durability and the injury he had after the National Championships. Now I know it has been unlukcy with the collision injuries and his foot injury but there is a clear pattern going right back to his under 18 days. There have been a number of times when he has returned from the non soft tissue injuries. Got back on the field and lasted 6 to 7 weeks before being off the park with a soft tissue complaint. There is a history there.

Now I do not have a crystal ball or am I a physio but having been through a decent amount of rehab for sciatic issues, 5 back ops including 2 fusions , OP , 2 broken legs, 4 months in rehab after one of the back ops and been in hospital for a 4 month stay including 4 weeks in ICU I have had a decent exposure to physios and doctors and rehab clinics. I still see a physio twice a month. The current one I see works with the same AFL club I do some minor work for. I have had countless discussions about the ins and outs of injury. Now it does not make me even close to being an expert but it has given me enough of an idea to know that Laverde is very much a 50/50 chance of playing week in and week out and there is a big chance he may not become even 80% of the player he could have been.
So far he has played 30 games in four seasons. Never played more than 9 and has played less games in the last two seasons than he did in his first two. So far he has had 10 games where he has past 15 disposals and 2 where he has passed 20. In 10 games he has kicked goal whit the last game against Port his best effort with 3. So we are not really talking about a player who has performed at the highest level even though he has had an excuse for not getting there.
Once again I will say I hope he does get to play footy and try and reach his potential. I really do. I just question what level he can actually get to given he is basically 2 1/2 seasons behind someone like Langford.

A few that you have mentioned already has a decent run of form before they where hit with a few years of injury.

Omera has not totally recovered from his knee issues. They have had to put in place a specific training program for him. Now he is now playing good footy but before his injury he was an absolute jet. In the top 20 players going around. Now his is a good midfielder but most likely not in the top 80 going around and IMO 40% less now compared to what he was doing.

Myers had a similar run early on playing 45 games in his first 5 seasons. He then had a couple of good seasons that where solid but not close to star quality. Of course he then struck trouble again in 2015 and it has really only been the last 10 games where he has been solid again with a couple games reaching very good. However I would not say he is in the top 100 players going around and despite him being important because he is one of a few on our list who does what he does there are plenty of others like him around the comp and he does need to find the next level for us to be a better side.

Gumby was a different fish but he actually did the hammy tendon injury before he hurt his back. I was at training the day he first hurt it ( I used to have hyrdo at the WH Fitness centre) He tweeked it but kept training before doing it completely . It was the next pre season he stuffed his back in the gym and never recovered.

Dempsey was a good player but that is it. Only had 3 seasons out of 10 where he reached 20 games so he never played a full season. So you could say injury did have an effect on him. Seven seasons with under 15 games.

As for 3rd round picks. Tom McDonald. Lachie Neale. Ben Brown. Orazio Fantaisia. James Sicilly. Caleb Daniel. Mitch McGovern. That is just a few I can remember without going too deep into players picked third round and later.

I like him. I have no trust in him breaking a 5 year injury streak where there have been 2 or 3 per season. I have more confidence of us picking up something decent via the draft.
You don't have to agree with me. Just telling you what I think, that he is far from a right off at this point. It is an informed view, you can take it or leave it.
A 3rd round pick or thereabouts would very much be a case of selling low.

I can't remember him having a soft tissue injury before this year. I'm sure he had but I doubt any player gets through a season without a strain somewhere.

In 2015 he only had the mandated mid year rest and I'm pretty sure he played every other game.

In 2016 it was rolled ankle and shoulder. He returned and played the year out

In 2017 it was blown up ankle and he again returned and played the year out.

This is the first year he has had on going problems with soft tissue injuries. He's put on a lot of weight. A bad year of hamstring injuries is not that uncommon following weight gain.

Most recent examples I can't think of is Seb Ross and some other players at St Kilda who had a bad run in 2015/16.

Thank you Bruno, well said. Still think this year the high performance team has a lot to learn.

You don't have to agree with me. Just telling you what I think, that he is far from a right off at this point. It is an informed view, you can take it or leave it.
A 3rd round pick or thereabouts would very much be a case of selling low.
It is not that I do not totally agree and I am sure you are coming from well informed information.
I am coming from a list management / recruitment type view which is my area. My knowledge of a injury is good but not expert. I quiz my physio but as you may well know it cannot be difinitive information without actually treating the patient.
The third round value comes from talking to contacts I have who work in recruiting. He is seen as a player who had endurance and durability issues when drafted that still has the same issues.

Hope you are correct and he has a good career with us.

Laverde ; “Over the next two years I want to develop my game and continue to build on the time I spend in the midfield"

Woosh: “Jayden had a standout game in our round 23 match against Port Adelaide. We feel he is heading in the right direction to become a successful forward for our side, while he is continuing to add some midfield time to add versatility."

also known as, player wants to be a mid, coach thinks hes a fwd but will allow him to think hes a mid to sign an extension. ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now he is on the list and the EFC has shown great faith in him by giving him 2 more years I hope he can get the absolute best out of himself and constantly contribute to the team.

I hope that inside of him some where is a gun footballer hiding that wants to come out and shine :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back