The positives thread

I think Higgins is a throw. By definition to propel something upwards you need to throw it. Not discounting the effort needed to do what he did. Not to mention the smarts. But still IMO it's a throw.
If someone is on their back in the ground but they manage to get the ball to their foot, is it a throw or a disposal? Because the ball generally goes up in those too.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If a player throws the ball 20m and then kicks it before it hits the ground is it a throw?

I agree that it should have to be a dropping motion to be a legal kick but that's not how they call it

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If someone is on their back in the ground but they manage to get the ball to their foot, is it a throw or a disposal? Because the ball generally goes up in those too.
I believe that should be a throw aswell.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not being sour grapes at all. It was called a goal and it stands. But he threw it in the air.

PillyBilgrim

Rookie
Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just cant quite get past the fact it looks like a throw to me
I think technically you'd call it a throw? It goes from hand to foot quick enough to call it a kick for mine, so I have to pay respect to the creativity. Never seen anything quite like it.
I wish they'd called it a throw on the day though, then Charlie would have this wrapped up.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
I'm not being sour grapes at all. It was called a goal and it stands. But he threw it in the air.

The Higgins goal works because it went from hand to foot, loophole or not, the game classifies that as a kick. You see it happen when blokes get tackled sometimes and, even though it’s in a different environment to the front of the goal square, the same ruling applies.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A lot of posters have touched on it in various places, but I thought I'd post here on the positives. I have seen & heard Chris Fagan in the media almost as much as the coaches of the melbourne based finalists over the last week. He's been fantastic. Great PR for the club. Old mate Damien Barrett must be loving it :p.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The value of this bloke cannot be underestimated, legend.

......."The fridge was available for whatever you wanted. A couple of the young kids went in and grabbed a can of coke and started ordering their lunch. Hodgey goes nah, nah, nah – grabbed about six bottles of water and just walked the line and said we’re past this stage now boys, let’s be fair dinkum. Since that moment, I can’t remember seeing a bloke with a soft drink in his hand, it instantly had an impact."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/26/how-hodge-set-the-tone-for-brisbanes-year-with-a-can-of-coke/

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

......."The fridge was available for whatever you wanted. A couple of the young kids went in and grabbed a can of coke and started ordering their lunch. Hodgey goes nah, nah, nah – grabbed about six bottles of water and just walked the line and said we’re past this stage now boys, let’s be fair dinkum. Since that moment, I can’t remember seeing a bloke with a soft drink in his hand, it instantly had an impact."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/26/how-hodge-set-the-tone-for-brisbanes-year-with-a-can-of-coke/
I thought that too, value of this bloke is not underestimated. The standards he is taking with not only the young boys but the older ones is immense. Tbh, Gold Coast probably need him a lot more than us

So typical of Victorians to come up and take COLA off the northern teams.

xplo

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2004
The Original 'Cougar'
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Fages' media work since the regular season finished has been fantastic. AFL 360, On the Mark, and 3 or 4 different SEN programs.

Often it's been as the 'expert reflections on how the finals coaches will handle things' but he always gets and takes the chance to promote the club, the players and the environment. He seems to be genuinely liked and admired by everyone who talks to him, which in turn, has to bleed into the decision making of potential draftees, trade targets, sponsors etc.

The man is gold.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Fages' media work since the regular season finished has been fantastic. AFL 360, On the Mark, and 3 or 4 different SEN programs.

Often it's been as the 'expert reflections on how the finals coaches will handle things' but he always gets and takes the chance to promote the club, the players and the environment. He seems to be genuinely liked and admired by everyone who talks to him, which in turn, has to bleed into the decision making of potential draftees, trade targets, sponsors etc.

The man is gold.
Most of us over 50s are similar to Fages, integrity, respectfulness, humility, authenticity, empathy in spades.

You should pay a visit to the over 50s thread in The Den, there're plenty of Diamonds in the rough imparting their wisdom for the greater good.

It's where the elite of the BL BF board gather.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Most of us over 50s are similar to Fages, integrity, respectfulness, humility, authenticity, empathy in spades.

You should pay a visit to the over 50s thread in The Den, there're plenty of Diamonds in the rough imparting their wisdom for the greater good.

Oh so true and it all strengthens even more when you get over 60 ;)

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This post definitely makes me a millennial. I mean for me to even think that you saying the over 50s have integrity and respectfullness means the under 50s dont shows my victim mentality.:cool:

I am sure you meant no harm as I have taken no offence. Just had to giggle at myself.

By the way I received a 5 year award today for being a Bigfooty member. How time flys.

Back