Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we all see what Goodwin was trying to do now with the forward half game, unrelentable pressure. Alternative play a Geelong like back half game.....16 inside 50 tackles to 2 at half time.

Can we all see what Goodwin was trying to do now with the forward half game, unrelentable pressure. Alternative play a Geelong like back half game.....16 inside 50 tackles to 2 at half time.
playing 7 or 8 defenders early in the season was a funny way to go about having fwd half pressure. as was having our fwd half consistently outnumbered in most games. and what about playing a tall fwd line and no smalls like we did against Port. it didn't look like we wanted fwd half pressure there.
I guess he worked it out in the end though, but lets not make out like it was all smooth sailing and part of a grand plan. he was searching for different ways all year and we only really came good imo when he switched to a more conventional man on man set up late in the season.

Yeah he ****ed it up massively at the start of the year. If you have the number 1 clearance team in the game why would you take out forwards and play them in defence. We would win the clearance go forward and Hogan an Melk were supposed to beat 7 with only themselves. Then we would press up the field and all our defenders would crunch into a small area leaving a s**t load of space behind with Lewis Omac Vince as the last 3. Literally the 3 slowest options in defence.

All these stupid extra tactics were useless. We just needed to back our players to beat their man which is the reason we drafted them in the first place.

Biggest credit to Goody is the ability to slow the tempo of the game when momentum is against us now.

I don't think he has any control over that at all mate. That's the players, we still rushed way too many things against Geelong in the 2nd an 3rd but there's nothing a coach can do. He can't go down after every mark an tell them to kick slowly. It's up to the leaders to get a hold of the footy and slow it down.

I don't think he has any control over that at all mate. That's the players, we still rushed way too many things against Geelong in the 2nd an 3rd but there's nothing a coach can do. He can't go down after every mark an tell them to kick slowly. It's up to the leaders to get a hold of the footy and slow it down.

Only an insider would know for sure but we've definitely made a conscious effort not to play on at all costs like we were earlier in the year.

He is also nailing selection at the right time of the year which is nice, there was some pretty bad calls earlier in the season.

Only an insider would know for sure but we've definitely made a conscious effort not to play on at all costs like we were earlier in the year.

He is also nailing selection at the right time of the year which is nice, there was some pretty bad calls earlier in the season.

Dunno Roosy said at half time of the fox coverage we still haven't got the balance right. I tend to agree, the team's getting better at it as evidenced by us conceding less but that 2nd quarter could have gotten away from is if Menegola kicks the goal to bring them back to 15.

I reckon Hogan Lever and a 2017 Garlett are the only blokes that Goody would want in this side. AVB an Frost in particular have been huge the last month.

Dunno Roosy said at half time of the fox coverage we still haven't got the balance right. I tend to agree, the team's getting better at it as evidenced by us conceding less but that 2nd quarter could have gotten away from is if Menegola kicks the goal to bring them back to 15.

I reckon Hogan Lever and a 2017 Garlett are the only blokes that Goody would want in this side. AVB an Frost in particular have been huge the last month.

That Menegola kick is kinda irrelevant though because you can also say we could have not kicked like amateurs and put the game away within the first 10 min of the 2nd.

Going to be very interesting to see what they do with selection next year regarding Lever and Hogan.

That Menegola kick is kinda irrelevant though because you can also say we could have not kicked like amateurs and put the game away within the first 10 min of the 2nd.

Going to be very interesting to see what they do with selection next year regarding Lever and Hogan.
Absolutely. I just dont see Lever/Frost/OMac working in defence. And i dont see Weid/TMac/Hogan working in the forwardline. Yet all deserve spots and are now best 22. We can't not pick Weid now. He's broken out and looks to be a future star. Maybe we can make it work like Adelaide with Jenkins/Tex/Lynch? I dont know. And surely a 3 tall defence wont work unless its against a side like Adelaide? Will be very interesting to see how Goody plays it next year.

He didn't have everything perfect but credit to him for trying new tactics and settling on a system that works.

The basis of our game plan contested footy, clearances, time in forward half etc we've been good at all year.

If you can't give him credit for the players slowing the game down then don't criticise him when we don't control momentum.

Alot of the misses came from us rushing the play to much. We had easy options going forward but we got caught up in the moment. We dominated them start to finish no doubt at all and we really were 10 goals better.

It's funny. Lever is clearly in our best back 6 and about half of us reckon Hogan is clearly in our best front 6 but both areas are functioning so well it's hard to work out where to play them.

Lever can come in for Lewis next year, 3 talls in defence is fine.

Absolutely. I just dont see Lever/Frost/OMac working in defence. And i dont see Weid/TMac/Hogan working in the forwardline. Yet all deserve spots and are now best 22. We can't not pick Weid now. He's broken out and looks to be a future star. Maybe we can make it work like Adelaide with Jenkins/Tex/Lynch? I dont know. And surely a 3 tall defence wont work unless its against a side like Adelaide? Will be very interesting to see how Goody plays it next year.

Rance Grimes Astbury.
Talia Hartigan Doedee
I think 3 tall defenders works if they have marking power.

The 3 tall forwards though, The amount of criticism Tex and Jenkins get for not doing alot in games is in part due to the roles they play. You just don't see enough of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always driven the Frosty bandwagon, and still love the man, but suspect the plan is still to drop him for Lever once he's fit. Having said that, Lever will need time as third tall when he gets back because of the severity of the injury. They recruited him to play CHB not 3MU, they made that clear this season, so I fear it'd take even more good form from Frost to make them change their mind.

Key to Hoges will be unpredictability. If Weid really has broken out and is going to be that run and jump forward, and TMac is obviously alpha down there, then Hogan needs to improve his pressure at ground level and play a hybrid role. Lots of time on the wing, some time charging up CHF, working into defence to help out, pinch-hitting when needed, working forward to create a mismatch and starting a few centre bounces. Given his ridiculous aerobic capacity for someone his size, and teh fact that there's very few players who could match up on him, he'd be like a latter-year Roo, or a Westhoff on steroids. Could also be the answer to taking some of the load off Gawn, who won't be able to charge from the backline to the forwardline forever.

Alot of the misses came from us rushing the play to much. We had easy options going forward but we got caught up in the moment. We dominated them start to finish no doubt at all and we really were 10 goals better.

It's funny. Lever is clearly in our best back 6 and about half of us reckon Hogan is clearly in our best front 6 but both areas are functioning so well it's hard to work out where to play them.

Lever can come in for Lewis next year, 3 talls in defence is fine.
Where are you playing our new great defender Hogan?

Worm your way out of that one Kent

Where are you playing our new great defender Hogan?

Worm your way out of that one Kent

Wouldn't bother me if they dropped Omac for Hogan and played Hogan as the 1 on 1 defender.
Wouldn't bother me if Hogan was CHB in the reserves

For the record my constant criticism about Goody is all about Trial By Fire. I might only be talking about myself here but I just feel/felt so frustrated that we're not going anywhere and that we a club that is constantly in the "rebuild" phase. No light at the end of the tunnel just being mediocre and happy about it. When you have been starved for any success like we have its not hard to feel jaded when every other kid is getting their trophy and your left with nothing to show for your effort after struggling for 54 odd years without one.

I hope you all understand by my method and if not I may understand your dismissal.

For the record my constant criticism about Goody is all about Trial By Fire. I might only be talking about myself here but I just feel/felt so frustrated that we're not going anywhere and that we a club that is constantly in the "rebuild" phase. No light at the end of the tunnel just being mediocre and happy about it. When you have been starved for any success like we have its not hard to feel jaded when every other kid is getting their trophy and your left with nothing to show for your effort after struggling for 54 odd years without one.

I hope you all understand by my method and if not I may understand your dismissal.

If you can’t be satisfied with Goody rn not sure what to say, and I was the original doubter on this board. Only a thumping from Hawthorn could change my opinion, and that won’t happen.

Lever/Frost/OMAC can definitely all play together

Lever can phase out Lewis' position, as people forget that he's incredibly nimble and clean for a taller bloke, I even remember there was some talk that Lever could play through the midfield in his draft year. Let Frost and Omac take the big boys and Lever can play on the 3rd tall, spare, or on a HBF. Although he started slowly, some of his play before he got injured was mouth-watering

Lever/Frost/OMAC can definitely all play together

Lever can phase out Lewis' position, as people forget that he's incredibly nimble and clean for a taller bloke, I even remember there was some talk that Lever could play through the midfield in his draft year. Let Frost and Omac take the big boys and Lever can play on the 3rd tall, spare, or on a HBF. Although he started slowly, some of his play before he got injured was mouth-watering

If we have Lever and Weideman we'd have two deceptive players as in they both look like praying mantises.

Turned a potential disaster season into a good building block for next year. Where ever it ends up winning 2 finals is a monumental step forward. Will eat humble pie about melting earlier, didn't seem like anything was going to change. Will eat a plate of the blokes fresh turds if he wins a cup in the next 3 years.

People need to stop thinking we can't fit Lever and Frost in the same team. Please remember that Frost isn't your every day KPD, he provides our best rebound out of D50 by foot and because of his pace he can play on a variety of forwards. He's cemented his spot. If we dont play him he will request a trade (as he should)

We won't be "too tall" with Frost, we will be "too slow" without him.

Last edited:
Can't imagine Lever will be back and fit until about halfway through next year anyway. Its pretty moot for now. Lets see how Frosty plays next year.

People need to stop thinking we can't fit Lever and Frost in the same team. Please remember that Frost isn't your every day KPD, he provides our best rebound out of D50 by foot and because of his pace he can play on a variety of forwards. He's cemented his spot. If we dont play him he will request a trade (as he should)

We won't be "too tall" with Frost, we will be "too slow" without him.
Yep, Frosty stays no matter what. He's now one of the non-negotiable. It felt like Goody had a grudge against him for a while - but now that Frosty has won him over, I think Goody sees him as a general down back. Kind of like a speedy Dustin Fletcher. His kick ins are huge too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back