Where's the "outcry"?

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I feel like I'm missing something here, but since there's whispers May might want out wheres the public outcry this time?

When the Lynch whispers popped up and eventually materialised he was bashed from piller to post as a Captain of the club wanting out by everyone and sundry - possibly also by the club.

I think i even read that May was involved in the stern words.

All this despite being a FA and literally doing the exact thing FA is for - exercising his right to explore. He got bashed for talking to clubs while in contract despite that being the norm already behind the scenes - of which I bet GC do and 100% did do when they grabbed Gaz and their inaugural AFL hardened blokes.

So why nothing with May? Nothing i can see in these parts. Nothing manufactured for clicks from the news outlets or AFL commentators on the socials.

Theres been whispers for years that May might be gettable at some stage but is it the fact that he hasnt officially said he wants out yet and itll come?

Isn't it worse that he's under contract and wants out? If the Pies are as in to him as is reported, he would have had to have had contact with him in some form - as the Hawks would, and from what I hear, have. Isn't he also captain of the club? Hasn't he been outspoken in the past when others have left?

Despite the rant, I don't want this to be a dig a May because he deserves to do what's best for him. But I do want to have a go at how fickle, inconsistent and flakey the football industry seems to be - at least to me at the moment. We feign interest and outrage for the sake of it and then we are on to the next thing at a moments notice.

Have I missed something?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I feel like I'm missing something here, but since there's whispers May might want out wheres the public outcry this time?

When the Lynch whispers popped up and eventually materialised he was bashed from piller to post as a Captain of the club wanting out by everyone and sundry - possibly also by the club.

All this despite being a FA and literally doing the exact thing FA is for - exercising his right to explore. He got bashed for talking to clubs while in contract despite that being the norm already behind the scenes - of which I bet GC do and 100% did do when they grabbed Gaz and their inaugural AFL hardened blokes.

So why nothing with May? Nothing i can see in these parts. Nothing manufactured for clicks from the news outlets or AFL commentators on the socials.

Theres been whispers for years that May might be gettable at some stage but is it the fact that he hasnt officially said he wants out yet and itll come?

Isn't it worse that he's under contract and wants out? If the Pies are as in to him as is reported, he would have had to have had contact with him in some form - as the Hawks would, and from what I hear, have. Isn't he also captain of the club? Hasn't he been outspoken in the past when others have left?

Despite the rant, I don't want this to be a dig a May because he deserves to do what's best for him. But I do want to have a go at how fickle, inconsistent and flakey the football industry seems to be - at least to me at the moment. We feign interest and outrage for the sake of it and then we are on to the next thing at a moments notice.

Have I missed something?
I dont think there's been an outcry about Lynch. Suns supporters naturally not happy about losing a star KPF, no clubs supporters would be.

There's been no actual indication May wants out , just whispers.

The only issue I saw others have with Tom "Durant" Lynch was deciding to go to the reigning premiers.

The whole thing, along with O'Meara, Caddy, Prestia and now Lynch, May and apparently Aaron Hall just goes to show that the Gold Coast experiment hasn't worked. The club is run by a band of chimpanzees.

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The only issue I saw others have with Tom "Durant" Lynch was deciding to go to the reigning premiers.

The whole thing, along with O'Meara, Caddy, Prestia and now Lynch, May and apparently Aaron Hall just goes to show that the Gold Coast experiment hasn't worked. The club is run by a band of chimpanzees.

Yeah. I agree. KD Lynch deserves to be called out on taking the easy road.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I dont think there's been an outcry about Lynch. Suns supporters naturally not happy about losing a star KPF, no clubs supporters would be.

There's been no actual indication May wants out , just whispers.

You obviously don't live in Melbourne.

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton

Have I missed something?

The outcry was ... Lynch was doing the hard yards talking to clubs in public while his soon to be ex-team mates were doing their hard work out on the track
Lynch was injured and instead of doing the rehab with team mates he was having coffees with Balmy

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
There was no issue with Lynch leaving.

Rhe vfl media actively promoted it.

It's only when it's in the opposite direction the outrage begins.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Do you not get any of the footy shows or media up there in nsw? The media coversge has literally been the exact opposite to what you said.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The outcry was ... Lynch was doing the hard yards talking to clubs in public while his soon to be ex-team mates were doing their hard work out on the track
Lynch was injured and instead of doing the rehab with team mates he was having coffees with Balmy
But he wasnt doing it in public, it was the media that brought it to the surface. GC also wanted an answer so they have been on record as saying they made him bring the timeline forward.

One of my issues is that I wouldnt be surprised if heaps of players are out there trying to sort out the next phase of their career and talking to clubs directly or through their management - but no one bats an eyelid as the media isnt on to it and publicising it. If May is out as is being whispered, and has had Collingwood and the Hawks (at a minimum) interested in him for years, he would have actively met club/s.

Same with Jaeger, Danger, Mitchell etc. Id find it hard to believe that the majority havent tried to sure up their next club before the seasons over.

Lynch is within his rights to, he just happened to be injured and was prompted by the GC. May is halfway through a contract yet no one seems to really mind.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

Have I missed something?

I personally had a real issue with May for most of season. There is a real compromised situation of his relationship with game and league as a whole. He is actually on the league's competition committee. It really irked me when the Curnow boys and him all touched umpires in same week but brothers cases were challenged by league. Same bloody week May, whom on a league's committee and same week a game in China for Gold Coast to play he was allowed to manhandle an umpire and league not challenge the original verdict for him like they do for Curnow's. That really smelt to me like because he was on a league committee and on a league endorsed China trip they did not want to challenge that case. That really pissed me off. There was no outcry about the compromise there by many. But the only other player on league's competition committee (Dangerfield) was making noises about the cases of other players touching umpires that week but conveniently silent on the May one.

Furthermore part of May's role on this committee is to give his opinion on player movement in league and be seen as one of only two representatives for over 800 players. He said he had unique perspective to know what players from non traditional football states need for club and player benefit. Five months on now he is apparently on move himself in weird circumstances. I do not feel comfortable with his input into changes in way league runs things when he seems to be so compromised.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are Lynch and May the “captains” at Gold Coast?
giphy.gif

Back