Past Alex Johnson - thank you for all your service, delisted 2018

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
It sucks, but I think this is the right call.

We've been a man down on our list for about 6 years now and we need to regenerate the list. We can't continue to give a spot to someone whose future is immensely clouded due to his body not allowing him a proper shot out of good will.

As sad as it is, Johnson's career I believe was effectively over as soon as he hurt his knee again at the MCG.

Johnboi

All Australian
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Disappointed but not surprised. As S120 said, we've pretty much been running a list one man short for 6 years now and sentiment only gets you so far.

Good luck to Alex if he can find a club but I suspect he may end up somewhere on a coaching panel rather than on a list.

Thanks for being a premiership hero Alex, your contribution to our great club will never be forgotten.

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Its a harsh call, but understandable too imho. Would of played no part next season most likely, and there is always going to be heightened levels of potential injury - we can't hang on forever I guess. Well done to both AJ and the Swans for perseverance on AJs part and for patience, understanding and support on the Swans side.

Still sad about the end coming for a player that deserved so much more luck then he has had, but that's footy sometimes.

Lets focus on the bright side of his time at the club - in particular his part in the 2012 flag and the fantastic win in the game against the pies on his return.

I can't see another club picking him up to be honest - if he wants to continue to chase the AFL dream, would be best off using next year getting his body completely right, then heading for a second tier comp (VFL/NEAFL/SANFL etc) and seeing if someone will give him a chance - if he does well there a club (even us perhaps) might pick him up as a mature body for a few years- but I just can't see it.

Good luck in the future AJ - I hope we see you back at the club some day soon!

Wishing AJ and Shaw all the best
Swans AJ Shaw.jpg

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Sad news and a cruel ending for someone who worked so hard, but as I've said previously... at least he got his fairytale comeback story and a has a premiership medal to show for his 47 games.

I reckon there's a good chance he'll stay around the club in some capacity.

Crushed to hear of his delisting. Footy is a cruel game. I wish him and his family all the best.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Sad news and a cruel ending for someone who worked so hard, but as I've said previously... at least he got his fairytale comeback story and a has a premiership medal to show for his 47 games.

Get the sense that he's more likely to end up at Old Xavs.

I thought he was a ripper of a player and hes achieved so much. I just find the whole thing inescapably cruel.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I see he’s keen to continue but it won’t be for another 6 months at best. Correct decision by the club and I doubt he’ll get picked up.

Bloody Premiership legend in my mind and I hope he finds his purpose!

We saved him from himself, hopefully his post football life is a lot more fortunate he deserves it.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney

Incorrect, he’s moving on.

drasticswans

Senior List
Oct 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Does anyone know if you are at the club in a non football role if you can play in the NEAFL side? I'm guessing probably not otherwise he could potentially take a non-football role at the club and when he's finally healed again he could play in the NEAFL without taking up a spot on the list. I guess I've never know where the rest of our NEAFL players come from.

That was why the ACL was so crushing when he tore it again, as logically there was little chance of him making a comeback.

Sad news but it would've been hard to justify keeping him on a list for another year or two. At least he had his comeback.

Feb 24, 2008
New South Wales
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters
I was thinking similar in terms of if we can't offer him a list spot he can still surely help out reserves and do his rehab (as he has for year's) get paid for reserves coaching and if recovers properly rookie next year. And if ahead of time play swans reserves as unlisted player?

Does this mean the Swans want him to retire and he doesn't?

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Its the right decision to delist Alex
The guy has some special type of mental fortitude
Be good to see him get a club role in future

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I was thinking similar in terms of if we can't offer him a list spot he can still surely help out reserves and do his rehab (as he has for year's) get paid for reserves coaching and if recovers properly rookie next year. And if ahead of time play swans reserves as unlisted player?

Yes but

"While I am disappointed, my passion still remains to play football at the highest level."

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Hopefully he has spent the last 6 years preparing for life post football. I'd be shocked if he ends up on an AFL list in the next two years. He would need to dominate surbaban football for a while to prove his body is holding up.

I would love for him to play at the highest level again one day but I'd say this story will have a disappointing ending. At least he made it back this year to take one decent memory with him after all those lonely days in rehab.

SwansFaninUSA

Debutant
Jul 19, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
It sucks, but I think this is the right call.

We've been a man down on our list for about 6 years now and we need to regenerate the list. We can't continue to give a spot to someone whose future is immensely clouded due to his body not allowing him a proper shot out of good will.

As sad as it is, Johnson's career I believe was effectively over as soon as he hurt his knee again at the MCG.

I often wondered about the decision to keep Alex on the roster, but I really think it was they felt his skills and leadership abilities made him worth the spot. And what if he hadn't got hurt again this year? I don't think it unreasonable to feel the Swans are still playing footy this week.

But I still believe in Alex Johnson's determination. If anyone can make that comeback, it's him. I read on twitter a Collingwood fan suggested bringing him in to work with the rest of their knee reconstruction players. There is just one problem with that; If Alex is a Pie, how can I love it when Collingwood choke?

SwansFaninUSA

Debutant
Jul 19, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

No, it just means the Swans are reloading the roster, hopefully with experienced players who can stay healthy. Alex not wanting to retire just shows he is living his life and refusing to give up. He isn't ready to become a coach yet. I get why he wants to continue on, but I can also understand how the club can't keep him on the list.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Thanks AJ for being part of our history as a premiership player. Best of luck for the future.

Tough decision but you can't fault the club. They've been very patient and given him every opportunity but you have to call time sooner or later.

msb77

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I have admired him to no end but I would of taken up the role that was offered in a non-playing capacity by the club. It would be incredibly difficult for him to get back to playing in the 'highest level' as he stated. Next year is already a write off so he would be looking at 2020. Who would take a punt on someone who has played 5 quarters of AFL footy in 8 years? Best of luck to him anyway, he sure deserves it, but the club has made the right call IMO.

Back