Matthew Nicholls is the worst umpire in the AFL.

I was amazed Nicholls paid that free. He’s got history with Port, most recently the game against Hawthorn. When I saw his name during the week I went into meltdown. He’s absolutely the worst umpire in the league.
So did we - he has hated us ever since Maxy thumped the ball away after the flog did one of the worst bounces ever.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Whoever umpired the Hawks/Freo game today = negative 10,000 votes. (Margetts, Dalgleish and Ryan - so impressed I made the effort to look them up!)

I don't think there was a decision all day that had fans of either team tearing their hair out.

After two weeks of Razor's efforts on prime-time it made for quite a peaceful viewing experience.
Margetts now he is a campaigner/%###$

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am surprised that there isn’t a mention of Stephen McBurney in this thread. Very biased and definitely wears his white and blue hooped undies in every game he officiates in. Give me Nicholls and Stevic anyday over that fool.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bump.

He is one of only two umpires who I know the names of, which is a dead give away that he is a shockingly bad umpire.

Absolute flog. Seems to have a specific hatred for Melbourne too.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
I think he's a cheat, or he gambles on the AFL.

He parked himself inside Sydney's forward half for the last 4-5mins of the game.

He did the same against us in the Hawks match down in Tassy. God knows how many more times he's got away with this.
It's time someone independent of the AFL looked into him.

Lord_Travis

All Australian
May 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not blaming him for our loss. We kicked ourselves out of the game.

However, the public have the right view games of football that are officiated impartially and correctly. He needs to go for the good of the game. If anyone knows how to lodge formal complaints against umpires, let's get the ball rolling.

I'm not blaming him for our loss. We kicked ourselves out of the game.

However, the public have the right view games of football that are officiated impartially and correctly. He needs to go for the good of the game. If anyone knows how to lodge formal complaints against umpires, let's get the ball rolling.
This is the muppet that watched and completely ignored Franklin being held and restricted from running in a one on one contest with the ball 15 metres away. He also watched as Hewitt was taken high twice in the space of 3 seconds and ignored both despite a clear line of sight. On at least 5 other occasions he had a clear line of sight to pay obvious frees and made a choice not to pay it. This campaigner has had it in for us for years.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Nicholls has been around for quite a while.

He was the umpire with ball in hand that went ahead and bounced the ball to continue play well after the final siren had been heard by a lot of players out on the ground in that St Kilda vs Fremantle debacle finish in Tasmania back in 2006.

But no good can come of this thread.

FastLane

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2012
club tropicana
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
#TEAMWHAM
Him and super-trendy-floppy-asymmetric-fringe Meredith are going to destroy Saturday nights game- hopefully at Eagles expense!!

onebillsdrive

All Australian
Jul 11, 2007
orchard park
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Seriously. He flat out gets the game wrong. Pays the very shifty ones, doesn't pay the obvious. Will pull out a technical free kick but when someone is dead to rights for marking infringement, throwing or HTB he'll put the whistle away. Just unreal how he still manages to actually get a gig.
Great post..matt stevic runs a close second

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nicholls , Pannell and Stevic hands down not only the worst umpires but the three biggest cheats in the game

ugh not looking forward to his effort on Sat night.
Was possibly the worst once ever seen live from an umpire, both ways. It's like he's watching a different game.

FastLane

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2012
club tropicana
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
#TEAMWHAM
Last nights combo of Stevic and Nicholls was truly horrible.

First half was just bad umpiring for both sides- too many tiggy touchwood frees that should never be paid in high stakes finals.

Third quarter was beyond a joke- Dees favoured and basically kept in the game- Stevic must have been so conflicted paying against his favoured team

Last quarter was bizarre- Hawks got a few 'evener uppers'- although i reckon the Lewis slide definitely there- viney not so much.

Nicholls CANNOT umpire another final!

Last nights combo of Stevic and Nicholls was truly horrible.

First half was just bad umpiring for both sides- too many tiggy touchwood frees that should never be paid in high stakes finals.

Third quarter was beyond a joke- Dees favoured and basically kept in the game- Stevic must have been so conflicted paying against his favoured team

Last quarter was bizarre- Hawks got a few 'evener uppers'- although i reckon the Lewis slide definitely there- viney not so much.

Haha. Nicholls was doing his best effort to keep Hawthorn alive all night.

Oct 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Lightning
although i reckon the Lewis slide definitely there- viney not so much.
Disagree on the Lewis one. Lewis was down low and almost stationary when he was run into front on. The rule was meant to be about players coming in and actively diving into another player's legs while the other player is trying to pick it up, not about players running hard at a near stationary player who is trying to pick it up and intentionally tripping over them to get a free.

I think they've been calling that wrongly lots this year and it's encouraging players to come in late and lead dangerously with the knees rather than properly contest.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Inevitably the umpires who officiate the biggest games, the most often become the most hated.

Who the hell would be an umpire?

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club

What game were you watching? Lol
Agree with your last line though.

Back