Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Lever/Frost/OMAC can definitely all play together

Lever can phase out Lewis' position, as people forget that he's incredibly nimble and clean for a taller bloke, I even remember there was some talk that Lever could play through the midfield in his draft year. Let Frost and Omac take the big boys and Lever can play on the 3rd tall, spare, or on a HBF. Although he started slowly, some of his play before he got injured was mouth-watering

Reckon Lever replaces the role Fristch is currently playing and Fristch goes back up the ground where he is more dangerous

Should think he'll get another two years now. I don't believe in extending coaches beyond three years until they've brought sustained success. The Saints are dearly paying for their rush to re-sign Richardson.

Absolutely. I just dont see Lever/Frost/OMac working in defence.

Why? It let's Lever do what we recruited him to do - act as the third tall and drop off a less dangerous forward as required. There's no room in that back line for both Lewis and Lever, and Lever is taller, faster and a better defender.

Should think he'll get another two years now. I don't believe in extending coaches beyond three years until they've brought sustained success. The Saints are dearly paying for their rush to re-sign Richardson.
I don't think even Clarko needs more than a 3 year contract. It's bad for both sides. Better to put your faith in the relationship being mutual beneficial and then both parties want to renew in 3 years time. If somebody is really happy where they are, they aren't jumping ship to another club - even if it's a big offer. If somebody isn't happy, why hold them to a contract that will not be mutually beneficial? I think it's irresponsible for any club to offer 5 year contracts, a la Ross Lyon - or pointless extensions, a la Alan Richardson. If things go wrong it means a huge financial loss when they sack him - or worse still, you keep them around to save money and the team goes to hell. 3 years, max.

Bizarrely, Frost has replaced Hunt's role whilst also holding down a key defensive role.

On Goodwin, there were legitimate concerns and reasons for criticism earlier in the season (though sacking calls were ridiculously over the top). But he's gone a long way to answering those concerns and should get an early extension for a couple of extra years. Keep it rolling, Simon.

Bizarrely, Frost has replaced Hunt's role whilst also holding down a key defensive role.

On Goodwin, there were legitimate concerns and reasons for criticism earlier in the season (though sacking calls were ridiculously over the top). But he's gone a long way to answering those concerns and should get an early extension for a couple of extra years. Keep it rolling, Simon.

Sliding doors but had we lost the WC game I reckon we would have lost the GWS game aswell and missed finals again. We held on and since that moment a switch has been flicked. Hindsight says we probably were one of the best 4 teams in the regular season but we were immature. No matter what happens in the future I think the players now have the confidence in the game plan to win more often than they lose.

We have played incredible footy the last 6 weeks.

Sliding doors but had we lost the WC game I reckon we would have lost the GWS game aswell and missed finals again. We held on and since that moment a switch has been flicked. Hindsight says we probably were one of the best 4 teams in the regular season but we were immature. No matter what happens in the future I think the players now have the confidence in the game plan to win more often than they lose.

We have played incredible footy the last 6 weeks.
Even if we’d lost to both WCE and GWS we’d have made finals. Would have finished 8th and played GWS week 1, and then Hawthorn week 2 if we’d won, and then WCE this week

Even if we’d lost to both WCE and GWS we’d have made finals. Would have finished 8th and played GWS week 1, and then Hawthorn week 2 if we’d won, and then WCE this week

You are assuming Port still loses to Essendon. I reckon that game goes differently if they have something to play for. Hypothetical either way but it was a huge turning point in the mindset of our club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh my, The turn around from some of you lot is amazing, and some of the explanations are hilarious.

And with that said, Goodwin was never going anywhere, and for those that called for him to be sacked, for shame. FOR SHAME!!!

oh my, The turn around from some of you lot is amazing, and some of the explanations are hilarious.

And with that said, Goodwin was never going anywhere, and for those that called for him to be sacked, for shame. FOR SHAME!!!

I don’t recall anyone calling for an actual sacking (I had my doubts and just said I didn’t want him extended before mid next year), nor do I like posters coming in when we’ve finally become a good side and acting all superior to those who have been here for years.

I don’t recall anyone calling for an actual sacking (I had my doubts and just said I didn’t want him extended before mid next year), nor do I like posters coming in when we’ve finally become a good side and acting all superior to those who have been here for years.
Been here 4 yrs longer than you champ. ;)

I don't think even Clarko needs more than a 3 year contract. It's bad for both sides. Better to put your faith in the relationship being mutual beneficial and then both parties want to renew in 3 years time. If somebody is really happy where they are, they aren't jumping ship to another club - even if it's a big offer. If somebody isn't happy, why hold them to a contract that will not be mutually beneficial? I think it's irresponsible for any club to offer 5 year contracts, a la Ross Lyon - or pointless extensions, a la Alan Richardson. If things go wrong it means a huge financial loss when they sack him - or worse still, you keep them around to save money and the team goes to hell. 3 years, max.
On the topic of St Kilda, they remind me of us back in the Schwab era. Just lurching around desperately trying to con the supporters into believing there is light at the end of the tunnel. That Richardson extension is a classic case of trying to manufacture a sense of stability but if there is no genuine belief at a club, you just can’t manufacture it out of nowhere, and these administrative decisions inevitably lead to disaster because they are made with the aim of “looking” like a stable club, like a club destined for success. It seems like blind hope and optimism played more of a role in their decision to extend Richardson’s contract than any evidence based on whether he was the right man to get results with their playing list.

Their kids aren’t developing, they have no stars, they won 4.5 games this year when they were supposed to make the 8 and Richardson is contracted to 2020? So if he sees out his contract, he could potentially coach out 7 seasons with no finals achieved. What sort of absolute mess of a decision making process do you need to have going to end up with that sort of situation?

It makes me shudder to think of it, but as Melbourne supporters we know the feelings of having your club run by a s**t administration only too well. As bad as the saints administration is, I doubt they could get to Schwab levels of bad before full blown afl intervention, but they seem to be giving it a shake. Makes me so grateful for PJ, and now all MFC decisions are made logically and paragmatically, and the money is spent wisely. Hopefully it’s many decades until we get lumped with a s**t administration again!

On the topic of St Kilda, they remind me of us back in the Schwab era. Just lurching around desperately trying to con the supporters into believing there is light at the end of the tunnel. That Richardson extension is a classic case of trying to manufacture a sense of stability but if there is no genuine belief at a club, you just can’t manufacture it out of nowhere, and these administrative decisions inevitably lead to disaster because they are made with the aim of “looking” like a stable club, like a club destined for success. It seems like blind hope and optimism played more of a role in their decision to extend Richardson’s contract than any evidence based on whether he was the right man to get results with their playing list.

Their kids aren’t developing, they have no stars, they won 4.5 games this year when they were supposed to make the 8 and Richardson is contracted to 2020? So if he sees out his contract, he could potentially coach out 7 seasons with no finals achieved. What sort of absolute mess of a decision making process do you need to have going to end up with that sort of situation?

It makes me shudder to think of it, but as Melbourne supporters we know the feelings of having your club run by a s**t administration only too well. As bad as the saints administration is, I doubt they could get to Schwab levels of bad before full blown afl intervention, but they seem to be giving it a shake. Makes me so grateful for PJ, and now all MFC decisions are made logically and paragmatically, and the money is spent wisely. Hopefully it’s many decades until we get lumped with a s**t administration again!
What's worse though: Sticking with a mediocre coach for the sake of a false sense of 'stability', or doing a Carlton/Richmond-1981-2008 and sack blokes every time things get tough? Dropping Ratten for Malthouse set the Blues back years and has given Bolton a s**t-sandwich to work with. Even with someone with great raps lined up (Malthouse, Sanderson, Neeld *shudder*) a new coach isn't necessarily the best move.

I agree the extension was dumb, since they're now doing a whole FD review, so they should have waited to see what results that delivers. It does look like they're heading for another few years in the darkness.

What's worse though: Sticking with a mediocre coach for the sake of a false sense of 'stability', or doing a Carlton/Richmond-1981-2008 and sack blokes every time things get tough? Dropping Ratten for Malthouse set the Blues back years and has given Bolton a s**t-sandwich to work with. Even with someone with great raps lined up (Malthouse, Sanderson, Neeld *shudder*) a new coach isn't necessarily the best move.

I agree the extension was dumb, since they're now doing a whole FD review, so they should have waited to see what results that delivers. It does look like they're heading for another few years in the darkness.
Its one thing to stick with a coach, its another to give them such a long extension.

I tend to agree with Tulip. Not much need to sign coaches long term; they're all getting paid enough to set them up for life even off a three year contract, so it's not like there's really much risk of them jumping ship to another team. And, regardless, there's no evidence to suggest mobility among coaches to justify wanting to lock them away long-term like you might players. Any longer than a three year signature puts more pressure than necessary on all parties involved.

Yeah, I guess it’s a choice between ennui or risk. Changing coaches can end up going great. Every premiership coach has been appointed to replace someone. I think Beveridge is probably the most dramatic recent example of a new coach getting amazing results. And I’m sure Hawthorn don’t regret their decision to sack Schwab and replace him with Clarkson.

It ultimately comes down to the decision making of the administration and whether the decision to sack a coach is an informed one or a knee jerk reaction to supporter frustration. Good administrations should get it right.

I wouldn't quite say they're Schwab era Melbourne yet. Performance wise, they were on an upward swing until this year and they were considered possible/likely finalists this year. They (and a lot of experts) clearly underrated the loss of Riewoldt and Montagne. This year could either be the beginning of a trend or an anomaly for them. The extension of Richardson was ridiculous but getting Ratten is excellent. Nail the next draft and land a couple of solid free agents and they could be competitive again next year.

Its one thing to stick with a coach, its another to give them such a long extension.

There is only 1 coach in the AFL worthy of a life time deal and that's clarko. Every other club would pay to get him across to coach their side. Not sure there's anyone else who would be poached.

Also as Roosy has said multiple times, he only agreed to join Melbourne because we took Ben Matthews, George Stone etc so it was a coaching team. One man makes no difference.

I wouldn't quite say they're Schwab era Melbourne yet. Performance wise, they were on an upward swing until this year and they were considered possible/likely finalists this year. They (and a lot of experts) clearly underrated the loss of Riewoldt and Montagne. This year could either be the beginning of a trend or an anomaly for them. The extension of Richardson was ridiculous but getting Ratten is excellent. Nail the next draft and land a couple of solid free agents and they could be competitive again next year.

Yeah StKilda still have some decent young talent on the list, not like they have a bottom 4 side. Plus Collingwood and Richmond went from out of the 8 to atleast Gfs and prelims the next year ( guess we did too)
I could see them bouncing back up the ladder with some changes at the club. They beat us this year and Richmond last year so their is clearly something to work with.

However I just don't see a premiership in that list. Reminds me very much of Norths prelim lists, alot of very very good players who weren't quite in the top tier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back