The Fix

Its almost become an accepted theory that the AFL is 'fixing' the season through biased umpiring to get a 'fairytale' Grand Final.

Accepted to the point that people think they're fixing a Collingwood win tonight, and a Melbourne win next week against West Coast.

Yes, GWS, the club the AFL created six years ago with the specific intention of engineering early success to attract new members and junior participation up North.

There are West Coast fans everywhere saying the umpires are going to * them so Melbourne get through. Yes, West Coast. The club with the second most free kicks for this season, with fans who relentlessly boo the umpires every week whenever a call goes against them, and who aren't happy if the free kick differential at Optus is even, let alone not in their favour. I wish this was hyperbole: its not. Their home games are toxic.

I've even seen Richmond fans, the same ones who quite rightly insist that they were simply the best team in the league last season rather than the beneficiary of some fairytale finish, being worried about their treatment next week if the Pies win.

What do Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne have in common? A game plan that relies heavily on ground level pressure, relentless tackling and heavy scoring.

I've yet to really see an argument for why they'd fix a game, or how they'd silence the dozens of people required to make it happen. Can anyone enlighten me?

Full moon tonight
We live in a post-truth society. Just read a post that the AFL will fix the prelims so they can big up the 1950s rivalry between the Dees and Pies.

I don't think its rigged, some umpires just suck
Correct answer. The AFL employs part-time umpires to save money, whilst Steve Hocking makes how [much a year?!] to implement 18 metre goal squares.

tigertigertiger

Club Legend
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Some great script writing this year but I’m worried the script goes in favour of Melbourne at Richmond’s expense

tigertigertiger

Club Legend
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
So thjsbyears story is Melbourne, I predict the script next year will be for gws, then saints, GC and finally Carlton. It’ll be around in that order!

Just imagine if this post comes true

mehow2g

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Rule of thumb follow the money.

For example, watching the eagle's over the years it seems important for the AFL for eagles to win at home, experience from first hand eagles fans are the most flakey fans in the AFL due to the success they had instantly in the VFL/AFL. Wins at home means the fans keep showing up or watching the them on TV, eagles get destroyed for the most part in interstate games and especially in finals.

Watching vic based media and footy shows the credit given to any interstate side is basically zero, eagles first nine games were the best any side has looked all year even after beating Richmond it was still all about how good Richmond, collingwood and Melbourne are, watch any highlight videos the commentary goes ballistic for vic based clubs Vs interstate clubs.

Anyway back to umpiring, how is it possible that this sport has 30+ free kicks a game, with these numbers you'd expect players are punching each other in the face at all times, obviously they don't. The players know the rules very well yet 30+ free kicks are paid a game, I believe that around 70% of free kicks either accidental or technical free that his no impact on play, these technical frees can either be paid or not paid, the ones that are not paid the average viewer won't even notice them that's how the AFL get away with their manufacturing.

Why can't coaches question umpiring?

Why do rules change round by round, game by game, qtr by qtr, minute to minute, what other sport does this?

I'll never forget when Andy D said he was dissapointed with Port beating collingwood in an elimination final a few years ago, it confirmed the obvious fixing for me.

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
6C48D76C-3F52-464D-8404-D13A224475E0.png
Full moon tonight

It’s also not a full moon tonight, just put it down to peoples subconscious disappointment and rage at their own teams not being good enough during the year to make it to this point of the season that to resolve their feelings of cognitive dissonance it’s easier to minimise and deride the efforts and success of others. People who are so inclined wear their tinfoil hats no matter what point of the lunar phase

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
..... peoples subconscious disappointment and rage at their own teams not being good enough during the year to make it to this point of the season that to resolve their feelings of cognitive dissonance it’s easier to minimise and deride the efforts and success of others.

What are your thoughts on people who bask in the glory of achievements by others?

Do you not find that incredibly odd?

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Occam's razor.

The simplest explanation is most definitely not a giant, sprawling match fixing conspiracy that has somehow remained completely hidden for years on end.

In unrelated news my local supermarket is all sold out of tin foil.

There's some real 'Nuffies on AFL pages' worthy posts doing the round here lately.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I don't think the umps fix games, as such

But they are generally terrible and easily swayed by partisan crowds - De Goey's free in the goal square with a handful of GWS jumper? Aish literally throwing the ball away and not getting pinged?

I think the issue raised by the OP is more driven by AFL media circle jerking and commentators creating narratives, rather than analysing and calling games as their job entails

It's these narratives, combined with inept umpiring that create the idea that there is a fix

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
What are your thoughts on people who bask in the glory of achievements by others?

Do you not find that incredibly odd?

Well I think it can be argued/explained by the disposition of the person making that assertion: are they basking in the glory of others or are they happy for the success of others? Is there a difference, or just in the eye of the beholder?

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
We live in a post-truth society. Just read a post that the AFL will fix the prelims so they can big up the 1950s rivalry between the Dees and Pies.
Wow is this the first time you've come across someone saying or writing something stupid and illogical?
What a sheltered little life you must have led up till now. It'll be alright champ, let it go.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don’t see how Collingwood would be a fairytale. They won a premiership 8 years ago
The AFL don't want fairytales, as such.

They want customers. In a pe
Well I think it can be argued/explained by the disposition of the person making that assertion: are they basking in the glory of others or are they happy for the success of others? Is there a difference, or just in the eye of the beholder?

I just think it's equally as weird to try to bring down the achievements of others, as it is to revel in them.

For a footy fan who 'barracks' for a team, to look down upon others who hang s**t on a team - is a bit rich.

Both are ******* weirdos to be honest.

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
For a footy fan who 'barracks' for a team, to look down upon others who hang s**t on a team - is a bit rich.

Both are ******* weirdos to be honest.
I don’t think anyone here was “looking down” on others for hanging s**t on other teams that’s part and parcel of being a real supporter the banter between opposing clubs fans that comes along with it and tbh if you’re a reasonably mature adult then it’s part of the fun...there is a sizeable difference however between hanging s**t on clubs and making assertions they are the innocent (or perhaps not so innocent) recipients of a league-wide proclivity of cheating to orchestrate desired commercial outcomes? That’s the part I think people start having a problem with and rightly so, it smacks of sour grapes and tall poppy syndrome at best and malicious paranoia at worst. It’s a game people, there’s much more unfair things going on in the world, just head on over to the paediatric oncology ward at the Children’s Hospital.

Last edited:
Back