2nds Swans Reserves 2018

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
It would be embarrassing for the NEAFL, gutting for Southport who were clearly the better team and extremely embarrassing for Sydney a. To win in those immediate circumstances and b. To appeal.

To me a better result than the mess that has ended up happening would be for the NEAFL to have convinced the Swans to just 'let it be' - noting that by the laws of the game the score should have been wiped, but given the position of the game (i.e. not close and an easy win for Southport), the Swans chose to accep the rule would not be enforced. It certainly didn't look like an interchange infringement, which just reeks of 'find a way to get around this'. I think we would of went for it to be perfectly frank - there is just no way it could have been anything but a hollow victory anyway.

To me today was a perfect example of where the eligibility restrictions/restrictions on AFL affiliated teams can really ruin what should have been a good game. Give us a few more listed guys and it would of been a really even contest most likely. I can understand the need, in some circumstances for such restrictions (in particular in earlier years of the NEAFL/Prior to that when we were part of the Canberra AFL competition), but the NEAFL is moving to a point where it is largely past that need I feel. There are plenty of ex-AFL system/ex-afl players with non-AFL affiliated clubs now - which means quite easily it can become unbalanced the other way. Our toppies as a group today were just terrible. Some have had good years and clearly just had bad days, but some were clearly not readily able to compete at this level yet in such an important game.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
The eligibility rules definitely need to be tweaked. I’m all for stopping us dropping an AFL player down come the Grand Final however Southport finished top of the table against 4 AFL teams with listed players. These included pretty much all the guys excluded today.

So effectively given a free hit at a premiership.

Bit silly.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
In fairness how are all of us expected to know the protocol when the commentators didn't know what was going on

I knew the protocol from my umpiring days. It’s been like that forever.

Just wasn’t sure if it had been changed but that was interchange infringements.

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm pretty sure it was all of Marsh, Fox, Towers, Rohan that played last week but were ineligble today. Only Newman could have been chosen but wasn't.

Thank you for clarifying mcs095

So realistically 5 extra senior players who could have made a big difference around the ball compared to the topups who were outclassed. Recently Ex-AFL players should be considered similarly to listed players. I agree completely with your post above given Southport had as many ex-AFL players as they did out there today.

Perhaps the NEAFL rules need some tweaking.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace

So realistically 5 extra senior players who could have made a big difference around the ball compared to the topups who were outclassed. Recently Ex-AFL players should be considered similarly to listed players. I agree completely with your post above given Southport had as many ex-AFL players as they did out there today.

if newman decided not to play seems like he definitely won't be with the swans next year.

Happy enough that the Swans took this position but what could they do given their standing in the NEAFL and for the greater good of the competition. The NEAFL should have just made the call on their own and owned it. If they can use their discretion then use it don't pass the buck relying on the Swans to do the right thing.

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

It seems about the right time to tweak the rules for mine. I can understand how they got to where they are now - but we were hugely disadvantaged today by being somewhat limited in who could play. I get having rules to stop us or any of the other AFL teams loading the team with AFL players once the seniors are out so to win the Premiership, but there is a point that can be easily reached where the balance goes too far - as it did today. Especially given many of our topups these days are so very often very young academy players. Not that they aren't skillful footballers in their own right - we've had some great topups all season long this year. But they can struggle against mature physical bodies - especially when it comes to the better non-AFL aligned teams.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

The extra Southport player didn't impact the game. Right decision was made.

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Happy enough that the Swans took this position but what could they do given their standing in the NEAFL and for the greater good of the competition. The NEAFL should have just made the call on their own and owned it. If they can use their discretion then use it don't pass the buck relying on the Swans to do the right thing.

Agreed - right final decision, awful process. NEAFL still feels very amateur in a lot of ways - saying that is has come a long way in recent seasons.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Longmire is taking the whole club to new level of crap and never coaching players or other coaches to kick, make good decisions and a forward structure.

You just can't defend him, there is no other reality.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Longmire is taking the whole club to new level of crap and never coaching players or other coaches to kick, make good decisions and a forward structure.

A new level of crap would be a wooden spoon

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Agreed - right final decision, awful process. NEAFL still feels very amateur in a lot of ways - saying that is has come a long way in recent seasons.

So amateur that the only venue selling food- the junior clubhouse canteen - had run out of food at quarter time.

For Swans I thought that Stoddart showed something down back in the last quarter at least. Was a bit quiet before then.
Not entirely composed but looks dynamic.

Darcy Cameron wasn't good - was much bigger than his opponent but failed to influence the game in any capacity either in the ruck or marking - was spoiled by small midfielders a number of times.

O'Riordan did a few good things but at other times let his opponent run off him too easily and subsequently end up in a scoring possession.

The swans in general didn't seem to have a method or style of play - Often they had 1-2 forward against 4 defenders especially when kicking with the wind.

Umpiring definitely favoured southport but they were clearly better both physically and in method the entire day.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Yeah!
How about you just let us defend him if we want & just get over it until he is no longer our coach.
Nothing wrong with the NEAfL either.
You can only lose a GF if you make one. Some teams ne er get the opportunity to lose a GF.
How about Longmire is our coach for two more years & get over it.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney

Can probably defend him here given this is the reserves thread and the NEAFL is an average standard of football at the best of times.

Not sure he can be blamed for the other other team having an extra player on the field.

Back