F1 Championship - Round 15 - Singapore Grand Prix

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Another race weekend, this time its another Asian night race from Singapore. Fair to say that with a mixture of poor judgment and bad strategy, Ferrari cost themselves a potential 1-2 finish at their Home race. Hamilton managed to extend his lead in the Championship, and despite a marginal pace advantage, I can't see Vettel clawing back the 30 point gap unless Hamilton runs into some major issues (Malaysia 2016???).

Singapore is somewhat of a bogey track for Mercedes, although they won the race last year after the Ferrari's kamikazed into each other into turn 1. Ferrari have the pace around here to grab the top row of qualifying, and I expect the battle between RBR and Mercedes to be close at an aero dominant track. If he can avoid childish incidents on the road, look out for Verstappen in this one.

Race Details
Qualifying: 11PM EST
Race: 10.10PM EST (one hour earlier, or the old start time from last year)
Laps: 61
Tyres: Hyper-Soft (Pink), Ultrasoft (Purple), Soft (Yellow)
Looks like there could be some rain about to liven things up a bit. No room for error on this track
latest

P1 and P2 results

He loves street circuits though and he was faster all weekend before q3
Max was faster in q2 and q3

Apparently there were issues with engine mapping so they weren't getting the power expected. It was such a problem that Max suffered a temporary engine cut-out during his final run in q3 - which is why he didn't improve his time despite setting faster times in the first 2 sectors

Max was faster in q2 and q3

Apparently there were issues with engine mapping so they weren't getting the power expected. It was such a problem that Max suffered a temporary engine cut-out during his final run in q3 - which is why he didn't improve his time despite setting faster times in the first 2 sectors
I don't recall dan ever winning q2, he generally saves that bit of tire life if he can.

Anyone else think Red Bull are ******* with Dan? On the pace all weekend then Q3 comes and 6 tenths off Max, 1 second off pole?

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but given the situation with him moving to Renault, it is in RB's best interests to make Max look awesome and Dan look mediocre. They are team that is all about image and selling drinks, and have nothing to lose being 3rd in the championship with daylight on both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else think Red Bull are ******* with Dan? On the pace all weekend then Q3 comes and 6 tenths off Max, 1 second off pole?

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but given the situation with him moving to Renault, it is in RB's best interests to make Max look awesome and Dan look mediocre. They are team that is all about image and selling drinks, and have nothing to lose being 3rd in the championship with daylight on both sides.
i said as soon as the Renault news was announced that Dan wouldnt win another qually against Max for the rest of the season. Why would Red Bull want their teenage star to be outqualified by the guy whose left the team? The rest of 2018 is all about Red Bull building up Verstappens confidence and establishing him as the #1 driver.

The Spa Practice 1 problem with Dans engine after a 3 week break was no coincidence IMO. Seriously a 3 week break and the first practice theres a major problem which makes you miss the whole session? This weekend is the first Grand Prix since the Renault announcement that Dans had an uninterrupted weekend. And whilst everyone around him dramatically improves on their Q1 times, Ricciardo marginally improves and is outqualified by 6 tenths. Then you have Dan in the post-qually interviews sounding pissed off.

Theres no doubt in my mind that Marko would have given the garage instructions to make sure Max qualifies ahead no matter what.

i said as soon as the Renault news was announced that Dan wouldnt win another qually against Max for the rest of the season. Why would Red Bull want their teenage star to be outqualified by the guy whose left the team? The rest of 2018 is all about Red Bull building up Verstappens confidence and establishing him as the #1 driver.

The Spa Practice 1 problem with Dans engine after a 3 week break was no coincidence IMO. Seriously a 3 week break and the first practice theres a major problem which makes you miss the whole session? This weekend is the first Grand Prix since the Renault announcement that Dans had an uninterrupted weekend. And whilst everyone around him dramatically improves on their Q1 times, Ricciardo marginally improves and is outqualified by 6 tenths. Then you have Dan in the post-qually interviews sounding pissed off.

Theres no doubt in my mind that Marko would have given the garage instructions to make sure Max qualifies ahead no matter what.

Whether it's just withholding the Q3 engine mode everyone else uses or... who knows. Maybe Max was just that much quicker, but the problems keep adding up. There's still plenty of races left so we'll wait and see, but I would not be shocked in the slightest to see all sorts of mysterious problems pop up for Daniel like they have ever since the break.

It makes sense the more you think about it. Red Bull is a massive industry, worth hundreds of millions (billions?) and F1 is their catalyst. Verstappen is 100% their future and Ricciardo is 100% not. From a business perspective, they can't afford the guy who is leaving to win the intra-team battle like he has the last 2 years. Decisions have been made and orders given from the RB higher-ups, no doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back