List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 22-NOV-2023)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Errol Gulden
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
James Rowbottom
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:

Horseswan2017

Debutant
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
What’s Sinclair status , a few other clubs circling I hear, might be tough for him if naismith is back. Not traditionally a number 1 ruck cal. Horse loves a bang and crash

Trade bait? He’d have some good currency, he has had a great year.

Back to the Eagles maybe

Thank god naismith signed. Be a shame to lose Cal though

Thoughts

What’s Sinclair status , a few other clubs circling I hear, might be tough for him if naismith is back. Not traditionally a number 1 ruck cal. Horse loves a bang and crash

Back to the Eagles maybe

Thoughts
Jarrod Witts - picks 44 and 62
Toby Nankervis - pick 46
Zac Smith - picks 49 and 53
Matthew Lobbe - pick 95

Can't see him having much currency

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Back to the Eagles maybe

Thoughts
Can't see the Swans letting him go. He means more to our club than any other club would be willing to offer for him

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
As far as out of contract players go, this is what I suspect will happen.

Offered contracts:
Maibaum, Robinson, Lloyd, Newman

Delistings (excl rookies)
Rose, Foote, Marsh, Towers, Fox

If not offered extension, re-rookies in draft:
Marsh, Maibaum, Bell, Brown

Lose to trade/delisting:
Newman

Go hard in the draft for the second season running.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
One of our biggest strengths has always been player retention. This year we are destined to lose Hanners, lloyd, Rohan and probably others.. Some are possibly initiated by club. There are whispers about Parker talking to Essendon even though contracted. There has also been rumours of discontent within the club. You wonder to what extent, if any, these things intersect. If true you also wonder to what extent the significant upheaval in coaching staff has been a catalyst. Should we be worried? I'll admit I'm nervous.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
One of our biggest strengths has always been player retention. This year we are destined to lose Hanners, lloyd, Rohan and probably others.. Some are possibly initiated by club. There are whispers about Parker talking to Essendon even though contracted. There has also been rumours of discontent within the club. You wonder to what extent, if any, these things intersect. If true you also wonder to what extent the significant upheaval in coaching staff has been a catalyst. Should we be worried? I'll admit I'm nervous.

Players come and go every year. Saying we have a "player retention" problem means that we are struggling to keep players that we really want to keep. Is that what is happening?

I see nothing in the Hannebery or Rohan situations that suggests that we are doing anything other than willingly exploring our options to move on two players, one who is out of the best 22 and the other who has faded massively from his best output, to improve the list with fresh players and/or an improved draft position.

With Lloyd it looks like we do want to keep him but may be out-priced by another club... but at the same time, we may not. Let's see how it goes. It seems he does want to stay with the club, he just wants to get the best deal for himself, as he is entitled and should be expected to do.

The Parker story gets rehashed every year and is equally bogus every year.

So... no, it doesn't look like a cataclysm. Looks like a bog standard off-season.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Kid probably backing himself to get a better contract towards the end of the Buddy deal ;)

You're not following the script Mase....if Horse doesn't change the game plan in the next 2 years then Tommy will walk out with everybody else.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Hanners and Rohan show contracts mean sweet FA. What's to stop McCartin saying in one or two years he wants out for personal reasons when he's going to be developing into what we all hope he becomes.

Hanners and Rohan show contracts mean sweet FA. What's to stop McCartin saying in one or two years he wants out for personal reasons when he's going to be developing into what we all hope he becomes.

The overwhelming majority of contracts are honoured.
Sometimes s**t happens.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

You are right. The landscape has changed but the best clubs with better list management will still be ahead of the curve & thus far, apart from AFL manufactured curve balls like the trade ban, we've proven we are about the best. I think by then Buddy may be close to done & Tommy will have 1.5M reasons to stay if he takes the comp by storm Kapanis. Also by then young Blakey will be his partner in crime up forward:).

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
The overwhelming majority of contracts are honoured.
Sometimes s**t happens.
I've got a feeling that will change over the medium to long term 37, the landscape is changing.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
You are right. The landscape has changed but the best clubs with better list management will still be ahead of the curve & thus far, apart from AFL manufactured curve balls like the trade ban, we've proven we are about the best. I think by then Buddy may be close to done & Tommy will have 1.5M reasons to stay if he takes the comp by storm Kapanis. Also by then young Blakey will be his partner in crime up forward:).
Can see that Ted and it's smart thinking of all sides, Precedents are being made though. I understand the Rohan situation and still have no idea re Hanners except for rumours re his personal life.

I've got a feeling that will change over the medium to long term 37, the landscape is changing.

It probably will change but you have to look at it practically.

If you breach a contract what can the other party do?
Sue you for damages.
There are no damages to an AFL club for player breach of contract.
The club might get a $1 as nominal damages.
The club might get an equitable remedy like an injunction that stops the player from playing with another club or forcing them to honour their contract.

Given that football clubs are all about 'buy in' it makes no sense to force someone who doesn't want to 'buy in'.
Forcing a player to 'buy in' would create a toxic environment.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
It probably will change but you have to look at it practically.

If you breach a contract what can the other party do?
Sue you for damages.
There are no damages to an AFL club for player breach of contract.
The club might get a $1 as nominal damages.
The club might get an equitable remedy like an injunction that stops the player from playing with another club or forcing them to honour their contract.

Given that football clubs are all about 'buy in' it makes no sense to force someone who doesn't want to 'buy in'.
Forcing a player to 'buy in' would create a toxic environment.
Exactly, contracts mean sweet FA if the player or club aren't happy.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Can see that Ted and it's smart thinking of all sides, Precedents are being made though. I understand the Rohan situation and still have no idea re Hanners except for rumours re his personal life.
Yeah the Hanners one is interesting but a little shake up of some much loved players sometimes provides tge freshen up a club needs.
I was watching Melbourne the other night & couldn't help but think of Jack Watts at Port.
Here are Melbourne making the hard call to let him go but the more popular thing among supporters was to keep him.
He's gone to Port & pretty much given them the same old same old Jack Watts effort which is just a good effert at most.
It's Melbourne's unknowns that have taken them to the prelim this week.
Port missed out.
From our point of view perhaps the coaches, who know what Hanner's out put has been better than anyone, think he needs a change for his own career & we could do with the injection of someone different into the midfield group who is ready to go.
A discussion for another time when we find out who the heck it is.

Back