2nds Swans Reserves 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

For my boy, the game effectively brings to an end 8 years with the swans. As a family we are deeply grateful to chris smith and the swans for sams time at the swans. He is a great kid who knows how to play the game, and be a part of a team. We have the swans to thank for much of that.

So I take it that the Swans are not going to draft Sam then?

I went to game. There was a large contingent of swans players, coaches and staff there to support the team. Stevie j, dean cox etc coached the various groups.

My sense was that once the seniors were out they knew they were screwed on eligibility rules and they attended to support the kids in what was always going to be afl Gallipoli!

The address from Tagh at the breaks was light hearted and almost acknowledging how difficult the task was.

Southport on the other hand was rocking! The club was full, and you could sense the large amount of support across the board. The team was mature, big bodied and very disciplined. They played very well and the breaks all went their way.
To be honest the score could have been far worse.

For the swans, they tried their guts out but with so many key mature players out their structure was a complete mess. Whenever I see my son sam Wicks having to be a key mark up target in the forward line and compete in pack marking contests against 2 or 3 far bigger opposition I know the structure has collapsed. He had to do this about 5 times yesterday, really showing how much the absence of key talls impacted the structure.

Watching the game, if the swans could have disposed of the ball better, and kicked as accurately as Southport did, I was surprised that they actually could have matched them despite all the handicaps. However to Southport credit they maintained a very strong physical presence and all the swans players listed or academy were intimidated by this.

Re the player number infringement I was proud of the club for conceding the game. Not withstanding the rules etc, from a decency point of view Southport gained no advantage from the error, and as one of the most important community clubs in the country they deserved to win. They really wanted to win, whereas the swans naturally see their seniors as the most important objective.

For my boy, the game effectively brings to an end 8 years with the swans. As a family we are deeply grateful to chris smith and the swans for sams time at the swans. He is a great kid who knows how to play the game, and be a part of a team. We have the swans to thank for much of that.

Thank you for the post. I really hope your lad gets picked up.

I went to game. There was a large contingent of swans players, coaches and staff there to support the team. Stevie j, dean cox etc coached the various groups.

My sense was that once the seniors were out they knew they were screwed on eligibility rules and they attended to support the kids in what was always going to be afl Gallipoli!

The address from Tagh at the breaks was light hearted and almost acknowledging how difficult the task was.

Southport on the other hand was rocking! The club was full, and you could sense the large amount of support across the board. The team was mature, big bodied and very disciplined. They played very well and the breaks all went their way.
To be honest the score could have been far worse.

For the swans, they tried their guts out but with so many key mature players out their structure was a complete mess. Whenever I see my son sam Wicks having to be a key mark up target in the forward line and compete in pack marking contests against 2 or 3 far bigger opposition I know the structure has collapsed. He had to do this about 5 times yesterday, really showing how much the absence of key talls impacted the structure.

Watching the game, if the swans could have disposed of the ball better, and kicked as accurately as Southport did, I was surprised that they actually could have matched them despite all the handicaps. However to Southport credit they maintained a very strong physical presence and all the swans players listed or academy were intimidated by this.

Re the player number infringement I was proud of the club for conceding the game. Not withstanding the rules etc, from a decency point of view Southport gained no advantage from the error, and as one of the most important community clubs in the country they deserved to win. They really wanted to win, whereas the swans naturally see their seniors as the most important objective.

Awesome post Ralphyboy, all the best for your son and his footballing future regardless whether he gets drafted or not. It sounds like you’ve all enjoyed the ride!

Southport finished top and deserved their premiership. AFL aligned NEAFL teams play each other 3 or 4 times during the season as compared to playing other teams once. AFL clubs probably asked for this lopsided fixture.

Pretty sure the AFL clubs are more interested in player development than premiership.

Southport finished top and deserved their premiership. AFL aligned NEAFL teams play each other 3 or 4 times during the season as compared to playing other teams once. AFL clubs probably asked for this lopsided fixture.

Pretty sure the AFL clubs are more interested in player development than premiership.

Indeed but the players who represent the club for most or all at that level would still want success. Not success where the other team loses their score of course but at least where they can field the same team that got them there or close to.

So Rose lit it up huh?

Are we absolutely sure this kid can't make it at senior level?

Most supporters lost patience with Gary Rohan and I would see the same attitude towards Rose. I didn't think he got a fair crack this year. He put in a fair effort when selected but it just didn't come off in execution. He was injury cover at the time so not really selected on merit (though in good form). He looks a million bucks at times no denying his talent but the knock is doing the team things. Can't see him getting another contract but if he does then give him a stint at senior level and see how he goes not just one or two random matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rose has been on the list for four years now and hasn't made any real inroads in to the senior team. With Papley, Hayward and Ronke he has actually been overtaken by a new player each year for a spot in the forward line. He isn't going to play midfield at AFL level. So... yeah, I think it is clear that there isn't space for him in the squad going forwards.

Rose has been on the list for four years now and hasn't made any real inroads in to the senior team. With Papley, Hayward and Ronke he has actually been overtaken by a new player each year for a spot in the forward line. He isn't going to play midfield at AFL level. So... yeah, I think it is clear that there isn't space for him in the squad going forwards.

Yep that is my broad take on him as well. Would not surprise me to see some other team give him a lifeline as a rookie player, but I can't see how he will fit into the Swans First 22.

Yep that is my broad take on him as well. Would not surprise me to see some other team give him a lifeline as a rookie player, but I can't see how he will fit into the Swans First 22.

That's my take on Rohan!

U9AQZs3.png

IuiMv6V.png

I am pretty sure on the broadcast they said Rose has 15 or 16 clearances.

Probably has his cards stamped but at least he went out swinging.
He's like Ryan Davis and Andrew Boston. Tried and failed at AFL level, performed extremely well in a NEAFL grand final. No shame in that

Can thurlow and Clarke get us that elusive Neafl flag?
I'll bookmark this post & remind you about it when Clarke is up on stage as a top 3 in the B & F.

I am very excited about this fellow as I think he will thrive on the fact we chased him for a role. He will play seniors round 1 if all is well with his fitness.

I'll bookmark this post & remind you about it when Clarke is up on stage as a top 3 in the B & F.

I am very excited about this fellow as I think he will thrive on the fact we chased him for a role. He will play seniors round 1 if all is well with his fitness.

go for it

BUt dont forget to find last years posts where i said we will bomb in finals in 2018 and you told me i was wrong

go for it

BUt dont forget to find last years posts where i said we will bomb in finals in 2018 and you told me i was wrong
Well my expectation wasn't that we were going to win the flag & your definition of "bombing in the finals" is different to my low expectation of going too far in finals.

I saw the draw & thought it would be a fair effort to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back