2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair call.
My point wasn't derogatory to Lachie.
I too, rate him.
I was simply pointing out that there are 4 players who played very little BDAFL, and are the same age as him, but stats dont take into account the u18 div 2 games they played, nor the u17 futures games, nor the NEAFL games they have all played except Lachie Baliss.
I realise that being a NSW kid in a southern dominated scene is hard, but being from a League town is even harder.
I applaud any effort to get kids noticed, and you should keep an eye on these 3 boys from the Newcastle area, as well as Lachie Price.
As I said, Van Husteid was best on ground in BDAFL GF, Watling was 2nd best on ground, and while McGrath didn't play due to dogs being beaten by Terrigal, he was called into the NEAFL side for the prelim finals.
The u17s Academy squad have been described as having the most depth of any that has been through, and to have 3 Newy boys performing and being selected in top grade footy stands the area in good stead!
Again, keep a close eye on this space. They are real prospects.
I hope Lachie can again move into top end with great results at the end of the year.
4 is always better than 3 ;)
Cheers
Where is the closest team to lake munmorah. Im wanting to put the boots on again at 33 next year. I was handy in my time.

Josh Rayner is a Willoughby Wildcats and now North Shore Bombers boy. He got in the AIS Academy this year and consequently is in the Allies squad. He usually plays as CHB and likes to float across the half-back line taking intercept marks. His man on man play varies a bit. I’ve seen him dominate against class opposition on occasion but also get well beaten on others. His kicking is usually pretty good, certainly gets good distance and is a fairly good user but could do a little better selecting the best target. He does sometimes play as a forward where his marking and long kicking is valuable and he can kick a nice goal. Certainly in the top handful of boys in our Under 17s.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about Gulden as there’s only a few U16s that I’ve seen much of. Maybe some others on here know more about him.

Gulden best on ground in 19’s GF. Not bad for a n Under 16!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Update on our punter, did a drop-kick kickoff last week. Never see that, is usually always off a tee.

The way he is going he may deserve his own thread :p

Last edited:
Update on our punter, did a drop-kick kickoff last week. Never see that, is usually always off a tee.

The way he is going he may deserve his own thread :p

Best player to ever come out of our academy by a mile. Really enjoying watching him

Best player to ever come out of our academy by a mile. Really enjoying watching him

I'm even watching Seahawks games.

Which I would never do,

Other than Blakey, will the Swans or anyone else take any academy guys in the draft?
How bout Rookie Draft?
Who in the NEAFL squad keeps contracts and who gets moved on??
And who will be on their radar in the next batch for 2019?

Josh Rayner is a Willoughby Wildcats and now North Shore Bombers boy. He got in the AIS Academy this year and consequently is in the Allies squad. He usually plays as CHB and likes to float across the half-back line taking intercept marks. His man on man play varies a bit. I’ve seen him dominate against class opposition on occasion but also get well beaten on others. His kicking is usually pretty good, certainly gets good distance and is a fairly good user but could do a little better selecting the best target. He does sometimes play as a forward where his marking and long kicking is valuable and he can kick a nice goal. Certainly in the top handful of boys in our Under 17s.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about Gulden as there’s only a few U16s that I’ve seen much of. Maybe some others on here know more about him.

Who are the remaining handful??

Michael Dickson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Isaac Heeney >>> Callum Mills

What a gun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See article on afl.com.au nominating Errol Gulden as potential first round pick in 2020

http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-07-19/academy-duo-named-in-all-australian-team
In the first game of the National Championships, against the Northern Territory, Gulden recorded statistics rarely seen - 27 kicks, 11 handballs, 10 marks, eight clearances, four tackles and five goals.

At the end of the Championships, which also included games against Queensland and Tasmania, Gulden was named the Most Valuable Player for NSW-ACT and also won the Allan McLean Medal for the best and fairest player in Division Two.

Over the three games, Gulden averaged 31.7 disposals, 4.7 clearances, two goals and 5.7 tackles.

See article on afl.com.au nominating Errol Gulden as potential first round pick in 2020

Prolific midfielder-forward Errol Gulden, the AFL Under-16 Championships' best and fairest in 2018, also projects as a first-round selection when he is draft eligible in two years' time.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-27/sydneys-littleknown-footy-factory-produces-yet-again

This the article you mean? Either way a lot can happen in 2 years but so far so good.

The best player to ever come out of our academy was just named in the NFL All-Pro team in his first season

Not sure about best, but definitely the richest and most famous.

Swans highly rated Academy youngsters

Josh Rayner, a tall and athletic forward who can also push back, looms as Sydney's best

Sydney has secured three first-round picks via its Academy in the past five years (Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills and Blakey) and they could add to that group next year with two highly-rated bottom-agers in their squad this season.

Errol Gulden is a smaller type but has an elite running capacity, while explosive half-back Braeden Campbell's talent has already impressed onlookers ahead of their draft year in 2020.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/academy-prospects-whos-eligible-for-your-club-in-2019

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back