Returning to footy after a decade out...

Remove this Banner Ad

Delair

Rookie
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
So I'm chasing some advice as I'm contemplating a return to footy next year after a long long absence. Won't bore you with my life story but basically I played juniors and high school footy, then got into umpiring for a bit, then took a gap year to the UK and soccer became my thing. But next season I'm contemplating getting back to my roots and playing footy again. Miss the inclusive atmosphere of a footy club, there is so much ego, politics and drama in soccer clubs.
Anyone got any advice on how I should spend my summer (training, fitness, conditioning, skills work etc) to minimise the rustiness and general embarrassment if I do head down to a club next year?
Also, anyone from the northern suburbs of Perth recommend a club which doesn't play in a super high grade with a decent bunch of lads who don't take themselves too seriously?
Cheers!

Start sslllooowwwllllyyyy and don't feel the need to be at peak fitness by pre-season session 1

For now start with some tempo runs which is at 60 - 70% (slower then you think - if you get puffed then they're too fast) resting down to where you're breathing rate almost returns to normal

Distance wise look at 70m as a starting point but you need to be able to hold your technique the whole set so if that's 50m then go with 50m

I'd say start at 400m total distance 2/week and keep your set distance the same (50 - 70m) and work up to 700 - 800m then increase your set distance, start back at 500 and repeat until you can do at least 100m per set for 800m

You shouldn't be straining at all during these as you're just training technique/efficiency x 2/week should be enough.

Gym wise don't let it run your life and be in and out in 40mins hitting 70% lower body (squat/deadlift, hams/glutes, single leg) and 30% upper body (bench/military, chin up/row etc) again 2/week if you're a gym goer

If no gym then do 1/week speed workoout doing 2 sessions of 10m sprints, 2 sessions of 10/15m, 2 sessions 15/20m and 2 sessions of 20m - from various positions (on guts, push up, standing)

keep me posted

Start sslllooowwwllllyyyy and don't feel the need to be at peak fitness by pre-season session 1

For now start with some tempo runs which is at 60 - 70% (slower then you think - if you get puffed then they're too fast) resting down to where you're breathing rate almost returns to normal

Distance wise look at 70m as a starting point but you need to be able to hold your technique the whole set so if that's 50m then go with 50m

I'd say start at 400m total distance 2/week and keep your set distance the same (50 - 70m) and work up to 700 - 800m then increase your set distance, start back at 500 and repeat until you can do at least 100m per set for 800m

You shouldn't be straining at all during these as you're just training technique/efficiency x 2/week should be enough.

Gym wise don't let it run your life and be in and out in 40mins hitting 70% lower body (squat/deadlift, hams/glutes, single leg) and 30% upper body (bench/military, chin up/row etc) again 2/week if you're a gym goer

If no gym then do 1/week speed workoout doing 2 sessions of 10m sprints, 2 sessions of 10/15m, 2 sessions 15/20m and 2 sessions of 20m - from various positions (on guts, push up, standing)

keep me posted

Thanks for the advice mate, will give this a try. So I take it this style of more match like running is more effective than the humble 5k jog?

Sorta yes and no...

Like everything running is a skill that relies on technique so doing shorter runs, allbeit a bit faster than a 5km jog pace, broken up with short rest ensures that the skill is being practiced to a high level rather then the often ordinary sloppy form of jogging - make sense?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back