Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Retaining Subi Oval is an extravagant luxury.

Subi, Leederville and the WACA are within a few km. And they're all s**t. Given two haven't been used regularly or at all for WAFL some rationalisation is needed.
If they all held games of a high standard and were getting 8,000 each a week then yes you'd need to question the funding. I mean this isn't like the NRL where there are three or so 'main' stadiums that are all being redeveloped within about five years (what a joke), as well as a dozen small grounds that all got money poured into them via political pandering.. they're small grounds worth keeping because they don't really need upkeep.

I don't see the issue in Perth, a city essentially of 2 million people or so, having three well developed stadiums: 60,000 for footy, 20,000 for soccer, and 20,000 at the WACA. That's pretty fair.

Then Laithlain for the Eagles, which has a dual benefit for the Perth Demons. Are the WAFC going there? They should, that or the WACA.

Subiaco has a fair bit of parkland but to me what else are you going to chuck there? Medium density dwellings? People in Perth are idiots and don't see the value in small living. Your kids moving out and downsizing to areas like Subi isn't bad. It's not like the value goes down in areas like that. But what I'm saying is they aren't screaming out for housing around there, are they? And keeping some history is pretty integral... Perth had a hard-on for destroying beautiful old buildings about 30, 40 years ago and although Subiaco Oval is by no means a pretty ground, but once you get rid of this stuff, there is no getting it back. In 20 years having no relic of Subi or the WACA would be a huge shame.

The Sail & Anchor should be a good pub.

It's a nice old building in a good spot, but the worst thing about it is their own beer. I don't get how pub breweries exist that make s**t beer.
I don't get how you would drink their stuff anyway when they're charging only 7 bucks for Little Creatures.

Its many many issues are because of its owners: Woolies. The low prices attract shitheads and 10am drinkers, the bar staff are hired in the same dumb way as Woolies, the management are clueless, the food is overpriced by cheaply made, and they have no idea on how to deck it out in a cool way. There's a catch 22 scenario in Freo where pubs go after the weekend crowd but in doing so, the pubs denigrate because they're appealling to that outer suburban crowd. I'm not being a snob but the Newport, the National (now), The Norfolk are all seedy places to drink on a Saturday night because the clientele is pretty filthy. People really pissed at 6pm, just look at the crowd at Metropolis...

The best drinking is a few minutes' walk south of Parry Street.

If they all held games of a high standard and were getting 8,000 each a week then yes you'd need to question the funding. I mean this isn't like the NRL where there are three or so 'main' stadiums that are all being redeveloped within about five years (what a joke), as well as a dozen small grounds that all got money poured into them via political pandering.. they're small grounds worth keeping because they don't really need upkeep.

I don't see the issue in Perth, a city essentially of 2 million people or so, having three well developed stadiums: 60,000 for footy, 20,000 for soccer, and 20,000 at the WACA. That's pretty fair.

Then Laithlain for the Eagles, which has a dual benefit for the Perth Demons. Are the WAFC going there? They should, that or the WACA.

Subiaco has a fair bit of parkland but to me what else are you going to chuck there? Medium density dwellings? People in Perth are idiots and don't see the value in small living. Your kids moving out and downsizing to areas like Subi isn't bad. It's not like the value goes down in areas like that. But what I'm saying is they aren't screaming out for housing around there, are they? And keeping some history is pretty integral... Perth had a hard-on for destroying beautiful old buildings about 30, 40 years ago and although Subiaco Oval is by no means a pretty ground, but once you get rid of this stuff, there is no getting it back. In 20 years having no relic of Subi or the WACA would be a huge shame.

Problem is we've just added one brand new 60,000 seat stadium and taken nothing away.

Looking purely at oval sports, the AFL has used Subi almost exclusively, the WAFL has got by the grounds they have and the WACA have their own ground that is no longer used in Winter. Optus Stadium replaces Subi, but somehow Subi survives. Why? It could be redeveloped like Mirvac did with Waverley, but retaining it as is is a waste. There's nothing historic about Subi Oval anyway. The stands at the Subi end were built in the 60s and 70s and are s**t, and the stands at the city end and the skinny stand along Roberts Rd aren't even 20 years old. I do think it would be a waste to demolish the current WC facilities at the city end though. When the plan was to build a new ground in Kitchener Park Subi Oval was going to get completely demolished, so the WAFC/Subi council don't give a s**t about heritage. They just wanted a cash cow and to exercise control over footy in WA and venue management.

I'd like to see the WACA used for footy again (planned) with East Perth playing there. It's a waste having a 20k seat oval not being used in Winter. Bassendean, Joondalup, Freo/East Freo and whatever they're doing, Claremont, Leederville, WACA, Lathlain, Rushton Park - that's enough. I'd be developing the area around Subi Oval similar to Claisebrook Cove. Granted there is no river but dig a hole and let it fill with water, Castle stylz. Perth fails at medium density living because developers built utter s**t. Build decent townhouses with amenities nearby and people will move there.

I don't get how you would drink their stuff anyway when they're charging only 7 bucks for Little Creatures.

I'm surprised anyone buys their stuff full stop, but I saw a cheap Creatures pints sign the other day and it immediately made me want to go there more. If they just had their own stuff I wouldn't go at all even it was $7.

Are any WAFL clubs possibly going to take some of the stadium's bucket seats like the SANFL has been doing with the old Footy Park seats?

I doubt it considering they are crap seats.

The seats look similar to the seats in the Southern Stand at the MCG or the old Chappell stands at Adelaide Oval, more likely the latter though as I can't remember what they were like when I went to a few games at Subi over the years

The seats look similar to the seats in the Southern Stand at the MCG or the old Chappell stands at Adelaide Oval, more likely the latter though as I can't remember what they were like when I went to a few games at Subi over the years

They are similar to the GSS seats/ northern stand seats at Footy Park/old perimeter seating at Adelaide Oval. The old Chappell Stands seats were the same design as the current seats at Adelaide Oval.

Having said that the seats at Subi looked to be in poorer condition, but I'm sure there will be some suitable for repurposing for those interested.

They showed a game on Fox Footy from 1997 (Fremantle v Brisbane) a few days ago and the seats when they were new looked nice and were the same colour as those at the SCG now. It goes to show how bad the Sun and lack of cover is at Subiaco for them to have faded so badly.
And the rust stains. From the watering

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to be better than the splinter experience you get in the Victoria Pavilion.
Actually my seats were not too bad albeit it was in the newer part of the oval on the Roberts Road side. However the he seats I had to sit in at times during the finals in the older part were almost not suitable for the human body! They were a disgrace!

Bye bye Subi.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/s...xcept-for-gates-under-new-plans-ng-b88944557z

Standby while I get all sentimental... for about 5 seconds.

I like the idea of the playing surface still being used by the public and students, but i dont see why tehyre ripping up the sandover medalist walk. They should keep that, who knows maybe the kids will learn a thing or two ;)...but if they rare going to take them out, at least put them next to the new stadium.

I like the idea of the playing surface still being used by the public and students, but i dont see why tehyre ripping up the sandover medalist walk. They should keep that, who knows maybe the kids will learn a thing or two ;)...but if they rare going to take them out, at least put them next to the new stadium.
I found it so weird to see a new paver going down in Subi the other day. Surely it would have moved but surely it will now, once Subaico Oval completely loses any real footy-ness. Put the tiles out the front of Optus Stadium.

I still think they should try and maintain the oval as it is, tear down the city end and train line wing, and put classrooms that back on to the oval (so it looks a bit like Waverley/Claremont Oval) with big windows.

I'd love to see them get rid of the old food trucks, ugly 80s gates etc. but keep the heritage gates and try and keep a bit of the three tier stand – maybe just the bottom tier with seating, then have the rest as just the old shell and beams. I'd put banks of grass on either wing and going up to the remaining seating too. This way it's nice and open, still feels like a footy ground, and maintains use as a public space and a footy ground for Auskick, junior, or local teams (possibly even some Subiaco Lions stuff?).

I think they are stuck between a rock and an accountant regarding any scaled down redevelopment that still retains some sort of footy stadium features. As far as I can tell there is really no potential user for any mini-stadium type redevelopment. It would be too big even for a WAFL side, they only get a couple thousand each week and Subi are comfortably ensconced at Leedy now. There is no need for grandstands for local footy or Auskick, the latter can be played at any convenient local park and doesn't even need a footy oval.

For all the heritage value and tradition, there is really no actual user for any redevelopment which preserves some sort of grandstand and seating. It would be a complete waste of money. I'm all for knocking the whole lot down and building something else in it's place, something that will be part of and integrated into the surrounding suburb.

I found it so weird to see a new paver going down in Subi the other day. Surely it would have moved but surely it will now, once Subaico Oval completely loses any real footy-ness. Put the tiles out the front of Optus Stadium.

Yeah, not sure why they haven't done it already. There's heaps of room for a Sandover medallist walk, paths everywhere you could put it.

I still think they should try and maintain the oval as it is, tear down the city end and train line wing, and put classrooms that back on to the oval (so it looks a bit like Waverley/Claremont Oval) with big windows.

I'd love to see them get rid of the old food trucks, ugly 80s gates etc. but keep the heritage gates and try and keep a bit of the three tier stand – maybe just the bottom tier with seating, then have the rest as just the old shell and beams. I'd put banks of grass on either wing and going up to the remaining seating too. This way it's nice and open, still feels like a footy ground, and maintains use as a public space and a footy ground for Auskick, junior, or local teams (possibly even some Subiaco Lions stuff?).
Surely relaid (refurnished those broken) tiles at Optus Stadium. Adds more character, more tourists and visitors there anyway.
But think it’s mainly due to WAFC offices still at Subi. Really pointless tbh.

Why? It's absolute prime land in the middle of Perth. Knock down the stadium and put up housing.

Completely wasted giving it any kind of football related space now.

Why? It's absolute prime land in the middle of Perth. Knock down the stadium and put up housing.

Completely wasted giving it any kind of football related space now.
A new secondary school is going to be built on the site, the playing surface will become the schools oval. Apparently the three tier stand will be remaining as well.

Here is what I would have done if I was the WA government/ WAFC
1. knock down both wings
2. build a Chris Mainwaring Under 20's WAFL Academy
3. Build a Woman's Academy on the other wing
4. add in womens changing/ locker rooms
5. keep both stands at the goal ends
6. the Subiaco Lions will make this their home ground (leaving Leederville)
7. Subiaco will now house both Eagles and Dockers AFLW teams
8. WAFC stays in Subi
9. keep the heritage gates
10. play Friday/ Saturday Night WAFL Footy at Subiaco Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back