Why does the Melbourne media love Neil Balme?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of working with Balmey when he came to Norwood (SANFL) as coach in 1980. He was the first to admit he didn't know a lot about coaching but his strengths were in people management. The players loved him, supporters loved him, and his ability to deal with the media was 1st class. I was never surprised that he didn't succeed as an AFL coach, but equally not surprised that he found his niche in the game in other roles. Totally approachable and a great bloke.

He seems like a jovial fellow and I'm sure isn't a bad bloke to talk to, but the way he gets credited witn various clubs success over the years is a joke.

Honestly, the man is a total buffoon. Spent two days mocking reporters and saying there was nothing wrong with Dustin Martin, only for the coach to admit he is suffering from a badly corked thigh.
Yet today i see no mention of Balmes lies.
After his career as a thug player, failed coach and now glorified dressing room doorman ( I've actually seen him performing this role ), i just don't understand the medias love affair with him.
Jeez someone hasnt got over him leaving Collingwood.

Balme is an elite football manager and miles away from being a buffoon. His results attest to to that.
He is also an elite manager of handling the media - that doesn't mean they like him - it just means he knows how to use and manipulate them.
I wouldn't say he's liked in media circles as he is known to be loose with the truth and is also known to have delivered some of the all time great sprays to journos behind closed doors. He can be an obstinate, stubborn, arrogant so-and-so one minute and then cracking jokes the next.
The reason why they don't call him out on his falsehoods is partly because many are afraid of him.

By the way whet ever happened to good ole Gubby...... ithanks for this one Ed - Balme was always going to come home one day and judging from his comments he is glad he did.

I’m happy for him. Nothing in life is more valuable than self-satisfaction and a sense of feeling at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, the man is a total buffoon. Spent two days mocking reporters and saying there was nothing wrong with Dustin Martin, only for the coach to admit he is suffering from a badly corked thigh.
After his career as a thug player, failed coach and now glorified dressing room doorman ( I've actually seen him performing this role ), i just don't understand the medias love affair with him.
helped steer cats, pies and tiges to flags.
you work it out

What/who is the medias?

Malthouse's best coaching at Collingwood ('02 '03 in my opinion) came with Balme beside him.

Bomber Thompson's best coaching at Geelong came with Balme there.

Hardwick's best coaching came when Balme joined.

If it's just a coincidence then it's a pretty lucky one to happen 3 times in a row.

Balme tells the media only what he wants to tell the media but doesn't cop grief from them because he's well liked and mostly polite about it. That's a perfect way to handle the footy media.

Every team would love a footy manager who empowers and supports their coach, keeps it simple, signs the players that need to be signed and handles the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back