Bluemour Discussion Thread XI - Facts Not Welcome

Under what circumstances will you be happy to trade for Shiel?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus ESKIE … we are getting Gaff, Shiel, Setterfield, Fasolo, Scrimshaw, McGovern, Liberatore, Scully …..

Edit: Oh yeah and Kelly … forgot about Kelly ….. silly me ….

Very needy Esk ;)

So, this is something that the AFL wants to keep quiet, but apparently all the list managers caught up for a coffee this morning to do some unofficial wheeling and dealing ahead of trade period.

There was reportedly some once-in-generation coffee inside, so there was some argy bargy at the front door to get in. Somewhere in the middle of the group, Justin Reid (ADEL) was heard screaming maniacally ‘ME! ME! I WANNA WALK IN FIRST, I’LL DO ANYTHING!’ Everyone duly ignored him and SOS had a wry smile as he strode in first.

He was followed by the rest of the list managers; Craig Cameron (GC), James Gallagher (STK), Dom Amborgio (BRIS) and so on. The final four list managers were arguing over the order, but most agreed unfortunately Matt Clarke (RICH) should probably walk in last.

Old Gil had suggested that SOS and Cameron walk in twice before anyone else, but there was much complaining about this from the other list managers and the idea was abandoned. To make up for it, Gil then promised to seat SOS and GC at the best table, with the nicest view, gave them some extra drink cards and asked if there was any other way he could help. Anyway, everyone eventually sat down.

Sam McClure had earlier tied up the sous-chef, stolen his uniform and was trying to overhear conversations through the kitchen door. David King, Gerard Whately, Tom Browne and Mark Stevens were out the front of the café tweeting pictures of the cafe’s one-way front window. Ricky Nixon was in the alleyway behind the café trying to score drugs, hookers, his latest golf card, anything. Robbo was passed out on the curb, lying in his own vomit.

Back at the coffee shop, SOS ordered first. He said he had gone hard on coffee at the last three meetings, as was the plan. So today he wanted to swap his drink cards for some aged scotch; maybe something around 25 years old. He said he had ordered basic spirits for too long and had saved up and wanted something from the top shelf. As he got out his wallet, his GWS loyalty card fell out. He’s currently 7 drinks in, with the 10th one free.

No one had any idea what Cameron (GC) planned to order (including him) so he just pointed at the counter and mumbled something about ordering two coffees from award-winning South Australian roasters. He was heard wondering whether their coffee franchise would remain open in QLD.

Jason McCartney (GWS) sat down with two trays overflowing with coffees, which everyone jostled to take off his hands. SOS had a quiet word to McCartney and SOS ended up getting first picks of the tray in exchange for paying some of McCartney’s bar tab. SOS mentioned something about ordering rabbit stew for lunch and McCartney’s face lost all colour.

Stephen Wells (GEEL) said he had cut fresh coffee from his diet years ago and instead brought in a keep cup with some old brew and asked the barista to top it up for him.

Adrian Dodoro (ESS) offered to swap lunches with everyone; characteristically, his opening offer was to pay for a degustation menu with one of the free sugar packets from the counter.

As soon as Dodoro started proposing trades everyone agreed there was no point hanging around, so everyone downed their coffees and prepared to go home. I heard after everyone left, Jason Cripps (PORT) went around, table to table, looking for leftover, half-drunk, luke-warm coffees which he could take home and add to his collection.

Not sure how trustworthy all this is, as I heard it from my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who heard it from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl that served them coffees this morning. Please don’t take any of it to the bank.

#ItsNotABluemour #YesYouShouldReadThatInAnArnieVoice
Thanks ferrisb, long read which gave me smile long time. :thumbsu: :)

OK, that’s it! I’ve had too much Bigfooty for today. This is getting ridiculous!
There's nothing in there saying anyone has agreed to us though. After the year we just had we are going to make some good offers to get deals across the line, we have the money to do so. We may be offering that deal but it's a whole different story concerning whether they accept.

There's nothing in there saying anyone has agreed to us though. After the year we just had we are going to make some good offers to get deals across the line, we have the money to do so. We may be offering that deal but it's a whole different story concerning whether they accept.
Sorry Parap. I’m actually saying the rumours themselves are ridiculous. It’s getting a bit crazy in here.

Jesus ESKIE … we are getting Gaff, Shiel, Setterfield, Fasolo, Scrimshaw, McGovern, Liberatore, Scully …..

Very needy Esk ;)
we gonna have room for fringe players like charlie & cripps? fmd...............

I can’t see any reason why a club’s upside has to be measured merely by current ladder position alone. As Bolton has continuously pointed out, developing a club culture with a strong sense of belonging is a vital underpinning for sustained success.

It seems totally logical, that a player, particularly a young player coming from an environment where his/her sense belonging might have been in question, would find the Blues culture as having valuable upside.

Regardless of current AFL ladder positions, its reasonably clear that the Blues focus on belonging has been more than mere lip-service; its clearly been an inherent driver behind much of the club's decision making over the past few years. One doesn't don't have to be a footy Einstein to predict that the Blues are set to climb the ladder from this point on.

Totally agree.

People are typically very poor at predicting the future. They tend to 'anchor', by looking at what's happening now and either expecting that to remain or looking at the current rate of change of something and simply projecting that out.

Of course, the real method is to look at which underlying factors drive the outcome. And then assess the trends in those factors.

Our output currently sucks. But how might that change?

What makes a club successful on-field? Keeping it simple (and my take on Carlton), I'd say; drafting (very good), development (good), coaching (not 100% sold), list management (very good), culture/buy-in from players (don't know, seems good from the outside), competent and stable administration (seems ok, but Carlton always scares me on this).

For the most part, I think the off-field drives the on-field over time. And I give us solid marks there. If I look at our list, we have a concentration of young talent and a lack of mid- to older-aged talent. That should mean in the medium-term we have more improvement and less drop off than most other teams.

So over the next few years, I would expect to see strong improvement from the team, with coaching and administration the biggest question marks for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very needy Esk ;)

I'm done...

giphy-79.gif

See you all after trade period!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back