Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
People are still interested in footy but they follow it differently now, other things take priority on weekends so they follow on social media, watch it on TV etc. You can get your fill of footy in so many ways now you don't have to go to the ground. Big challenge for clubs at all levels below the AFL.

People are still interested in footy but they follow it differently now, other things take priority on weekends so they follow on social media, watch it on TV etc. You can get your fill of footy in so many ways now you don't have to go to the ground. Big challenge for clubs at all levels below the AFL.

The thing is that we don't have an AFL club at the top of rhe footy pyramid. The wafl, sanfl & vfl have all lost spectators to the professional game. Thats made up for by having AFL clubs. Our footy doesn't have that so local footy has been left behind.
Watching some of the NEAFL GF today, the crowd was like at a country GF. Sitting on grass & back of vans etc. Not much of a crowd. If it wasn't for AFL clubs & money, that league wouldn't even exist.

Whats worse here is the lopsided state of the TSL. That was courtesy of AFLTas taking no interest in the game here. If they don't care, how do they expect the public or anyone else to give a toss about the game?

The thing is that we don't have an AFL club at the top of rhe footy pyramid. The wafl, sanfl & vfl have all lost spectators to the professional game. Thats made up for by having AFL clubs. Our footy doesn't have that so local footy has been left behind.
Watching some of the NEAFL GF today, the crowd was like at a country GF. Sitting on grass & back of vans etc. Not much of a crowd. If it wasn't for AFL clubs & money, that league wouldn't even exist.

Whats worse here is the lopsided state of the TSL. That was courtesy of AFLTas taking no interest in the game here. If they don't care, how do they expect the public or anyone else to give a toss about the game?
I saw a bit of the Mornington Peninsula Football & Netball League grand final between Sorrento and Pines at Frankston today. Pulled over 8,000!
It's a worry that we can't even pull that for any competition. Even 7,000 would be good.

I saw a bit of the Mornington Peninsula Football & Netball League grand final between Sorrento and Pines at Frankston today. Pulled over 8,000!
It's a worry that we can't even pull that for any competition. Even 7,000 would be good.
End of season review. The game on Saturday was ordinary but the weather was cold and blustery. Lauderdale to their credit had their chances but couldn't sustain their composure or the pressure for long enough. Missed two chances from 25 metres which would have tied up the game in the second half. What this comp needs is some stability. The final 5 is fine as it does give every one a chance. The comp will be much more even next year, North Hobart are in such a stronger position now than 12 months ago for example. To maximise the grand final attendance may I suggest two initiatives. One play the women first ,Dev league second then the seniors, and secondly play it stand alone in the state, ie after all the other comps have played.

End of season review. The game on Saturday was ordinary but the weather was cold and blustery. Lauderdale to their credit had their chances but couldn't sustain their composure or the pressure for long enough. Missed two chances from 25 metres which would have tied up the game in the second half. What this comp needs is some stability. The final 5 is fine as it does give every one a chance. The comp will be much more even next year, North Hobart are in such a stronger position now than 12 months ago for example. To maximise the grand final attendance may I suggest two initiatives. One play the women first ,Dev league second then the seniors, and secondly play it stand alone in the state, ie after all the other comps have played.
I agree with your comments about having the grand final after all the other leagues are finished. Its just common sense really. We had the same thing on the coast with the NWFL Grand Final on the same day as the Darwin Association Grand Final in Burnie and the same thing happened last year. There are quite a few people who only go to the Grand Final each year and coupled with the genuine footy lovers both these competitions are robbing themselves of at least a 1000 extra spectators at each game in my opinion.

The women after the dev league is fine. It is the top flight for the women, not so the dev league.

The only other option would be to play the womens game completely separately, maybe the Friday night or the Sunday, if the higher qualifying team is from the other half of the state. If it had been at Bellerive or KG5 as a standalone game, I wonder if it would have fared better (and made little difference to mens GF attendance).

Playing the state league GF after the others have finished just makes sense. Ideally, they would use the relatively clear air after the AFL GF - though that could make the prelim more difficult to schedule. The SANFL used to do that, not any more and I'm not sure why they stopped. (Possibly because Adelaide Oval isn't available? And that might be an issue with Bellerive too.)

I am close to womens Pies,and i can assure you the women's game is a must on grand final day, they do it for love and would have played on the moon if asked. did not hear any moans from them ( two southern clubs ) to move it south
To shunt them from the big dance is criminal. they put on a better game than the snrs
also think about clubs with helpers ( lindisfarne had 4 teams playing in grand finals and it worked good for them at NH, supporter , coaches etc[/QUOTE]

It's not the women's league that's an issue here, it's the attraction of the public to the senior TSL. Why people aren't showing up to a men's GF is the important question...

What seems obvious (and of course, I could be wrong here because I'm sure those with bigger vested interests have already pondered such questions):
1) Northerners probably wouldn't be as attracted to Lauderdale as they would be with a local region side, and Lauderdale probably wouldn't bring that many carloads up from Hobart...
2) There was a Collingwood final on Saturday, and a bundle of country GF's...
3) There are almost no household name star players in the TSL...8000 turned up to watch Round 1 Akermanis a while back, and half that showed up last Saturday to a GF featuring a popular home side gunning for 4 flags in 5 years...there's your attendance key right there, surely...
4) Promotion and video coverage via streaming makes the TSL look like a cheap product.

The solution is as simple* as the one I wrote on the back of the toilet roll 20 mins ago. Pay every team half a million dollars a year and bulk up the league with AFL exes and household names. The AFL can foot the bill - they have officially recognised the TSL as on the same tier as the WAFL, VFL, SANFL and NEAFL - and AFL Tas needs to make more noise and get nasty and demanding, tennis brat level (or even just WA/SA level when they talk to Vics!). Put the game on tv - you've got Seven Mate down there, haven't you? There are no more Sunday AFL finals - play all the TSL finals on that day, and stagger the upper and lower league rosters so they don't all have GF day together. The double header seemed like a reasonable idea, though. If you really want rivalry, maybe Northern and Southern leagues with statewide finals...only 2 decades ago, North played Devonport in front of 5-6000 people, and the south has done that a few times as well...

* The words "simple" and "probable" are inversely proportional...!

I am close to womens Pies,and i can assure you the women's game is a must on grand final day, they do it for love and would have played on the moon if asked. did not hear any moans from them ( two southern clubs ) to move it south
To shunt them from the big dance is criminal. they put on a better game than the snrs
also think about clubs with helpers ( lindisfarne had 4 teams playing in grand finals and it worked good for them at NH, supporter , coaches etc
Fair enough. I was just wondering if they might have got more supporters of their own if the game had been played in the south. If they want to be on the same day and same venue as the mens, then they absolutely should get billing ahead of the Dev league.

To a large extent, it won't matter what is done, the days of people caring about anything below AFL level are long gone. Possibly even longer gone in Launceston than elsewhere. Incompetence by AFL Tas and neglect (arguably with occasional wilful destruction) from Melbourne only accelerated matters.

certainly if game had been played at KGV it would got more supporters
the women play in burnie and lannie, so a 2 20 min to launnie , not that much
the club organised 2 supporters busses ,all family/friends ( drove )
AFL did stream the game live start at 12 30pm
indication of times where social media has instant access
so unless u r in Melb , big crowds r a thing of the past

To be fare, after a lovely Friday, it blew & rained in Launceston until the early afternoon. Probably too late as people had looked out the window & said 'nah' its a crappy day.

The nature of state wide footy is that such occasions with a north/south split will limit the crowds.

So despite some natural barriers already making things difficult, the 'product' has increasingly become emaciated & reduced in the eyes of the public. Years of AFLTas stuffing about with TSL1, VFL, TSL2 as well as the 'gee we didn't know' attitude to the NWC clubs pulling out of the TSL. The footy punters have voted with their feet. The TSL has been 'managed' appallingly by YKW.

Clubs can't recruit the sort of players & coaches to the TSL who would improve the standard of the competition & its appeal to the public. Not to say attract the best local players as well.

The 'rescue' package for Tassie footy showed the AFL's attitude. They didn't address any of the problems at all. They've offered nothing to help improve the clubs, nothing to re-engage with NWC footy, nothing to improve the league in they eyes of the football public. So if the AFL don't care, why would the public?

Indeed the words from the AFL boss were meaningless dribble & if anything, his outcome plan has/will further damaged Tas footy.

After being sent straight to the Tribunal, Webster got 1 week.

It appears Gilbee took a flop from a hit to the chest. Should he be suspended for staging it?

Predictable outcome

What's even more predictable is you making a * wit of yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Predictable outcome

What's even more predictable is you making a **** wit of yourself.

Predictable comment. You said 6+, he got 1. Gilbee flopped like he was shot. Then he was fine amazingly fast. You & the goose at the MRP look the foolish ones.

The lucky one was Sharman who got 2 weeks for a real punch to the head on Walsh. Any calls on that one?? Maybe an appeal to give him 6 weeks.? ;)

Predictable comment. You said 6+, he got 1. Gilbee flopped like he was shot. Then he was fine amazingly fast. You & the goose at the MRP look the foolish ones.

The lucky one was Sharman who got 2 weeks for a real punch to the head on Walsh. Any calls on that one?? Maybe an appeal to give him 6 weeks.? ;)

Flopped my ass, he went down on his haunches after the incident, Gilbee looked after him at the tribunal, the MRP got it right, its the corruption at the tribunal that is the problem.

One player commits 3 acts of thuggery in 2 weeks for a total of 3 weeks suspension, the first downgraded from 2 to a reprimand, what good the reprimand did on deterring said player from re-offending, it then doesn't even have an impact or consequence on the next two reports, that right there is the issue, players have no problem doing whatever they want on the field because they know they will be looked after.

They then go on social media and publically taunt membere of the general public genuinely voicing concerns on these particular incidents, once again showing no remorse and have no worries about any consequences that may(should) occur.

A former Clarence player who should have been de-registered last season but of course was given a downgrade and let off has also been taunting others over these recent incidents, what has that bloke learnt from his indiscretions? He's learnt its ok to be a thug on the field and get away with it, as has the Glenorchy player.

But you go right ahead and keep throwing your little pot shots at Lauderdale, I guese it helps you feel better about your own lifeless irrelevant bunch of kids you hangers on are trying to pass off as a football club.

Flopped my ass, he went down on his haunches after the incident, Gilbee looked after him at the tribunal, the MRP got it right, its the corruption at the tribunal that is the problem.

One player commits 3 acts of thuggery in 2 weeks for a total of 3 weeks suspension, the first downgraded from 2 to a reprimand, what good the reprimand did on deterring said player from re-offending, it then doesn't even have an impact or consequence on the next two reports, that right there is the issue, players have no problem doing whatever they want on the field because they know they will be looked after.

They then go on social media and publically taunt membere of the general public genuinely voicing concerns on these particular incidents, once again showing no remorse and have no worries about any consequences that may(should) occur.

A former Clarence player who should have been de-registered last season but of course was given a downgrade and let off has also been taunting others over these recent incidents, what has that bloke learnt from his indiscretions? He's learnt its ok to be a thug on the field and get away with it, as has the Glenorchy player.

But you go right ahead and keep throwing your little pot shots at Lauderdale, I guese it helps you feel better about your own lifeless irrelevant bunch of kids you hangers on are trying to pass off as a football club.

Have a read of this! Poor lidw us.

"Down on his haunches" Mate he flopped flat on his belly like he was shot. So if he did get punched out, why did he lie in the tribunal about it? You cant have it both ways buddy. Did he cop one or stage it or lie about it?

You can dish it when you like. Pity you cant see past the poor bugger me stuff. Always hard done by.

Anyway, when you've won 29 senior competition flags, come & tell us.

Have a read of this! Poor lidw us.

"Down on his haunches" Mate he flopped flat on his belly like he was shot. So if he did get punched out, why did he lie in the tribunal about it? You cant have it both ways buddy. Did he cop one or stage it or lie about it?

You can dish it when you like. Pity you cant see past the poor bugger me stuff. Always hard done by.

Anyway, when you've won 29 senior competition flags, come & tell us.

You really reckon that is a flop?
Yeah he said he "played it up a little bit", he looked after him, the tribunal should have been able to see through that, even the Glenorchy coach has said thats inadequate punishment for the type of incident, for his third offence in a week he gets 1 week for a blatant hit behind play and all you want to do is have a crack at Lauderdale, seriously pal, you are a first class peanut.

29 flags aye, you'd have been lucky to win 29 quarters in the last decade

I will save that last sentence for a rainy day.

So the tribunal took his word, but not you. You're the expert.

If he did poleaxe him, then why did he play after copping a head injury. He was either foxing, lying or was injured so the club was irresponsible in letting him play after such a 'serious' head knock.

I might be a peanut. You're a loser, again.

Enjoy the cricket season.

So the tribunal took his word, but not you. You're the expert.

If he did poleaxe him, then why did he play after copping a head injury. He was either foxing, lying or was injured so the club was irresponsible in letting him play after such a 'serious' head knock.

I might be a peanut. You're a loser, again.

Enjoy the cricket season.

See there you go again, turning it all around onto bagging out Lauderdale, its pathetic, especially in this case where you are supporting violence on the football field.

See there you go again, turning it all around onto bagging out Lauderdale, its pathetic, especially in this case where you are supporting violence on the football field.

See their you go again. Not reading what I posted. Just making up BS.

Clearly, to anyone with a primary education, I never condoned violence. Your coach is on record last year with that approach to football.

I made straight forward points which you fail to answer, or as it appears, even understand.

First year done and dusted without the coastal teams. I have still taken an interest in the TSL from a distance but I wonder whether it can be successful into the future with the current unbalanced North/South make-up. I know it was expected that the North West would become a recruiting ground for the other TSL clubs, especially the 2 northern clubs but I'm not so sure about that moving forward. From what AFL Tas are saying the coastal Mariners (oops Devils now) will no longer be forced to play with a TSL club and they have said they have got the message loud and clear from the NWFL that that rule should be removed. I know quite a few people from both the Devonport and Burnie clubs and from what I'm hearing a lot of the coastal boys who played with Launceston and North this year wont be next year as the travel for training is actually more of a burden that the travel to play on a Saturday and I don't reckon many of them will relocate for $80 a game. After the big review by the AFL earlier in the year I really think we are still in just as big a mess as we were before.

First year done and dusted without the coastal teams. I have still taken an interest in the TSL from a distance but I wonder whether it can be successful into the future with the current unbalanced North/South make-up. I know it was expected that the North West would become a recruiting ground for the other TSL clubs, especially the 2 northern clubs but I'm not so sure about that moving forward. From what AFL Tas are saying the coastal Mariners (oops Devils now) will no longer be forced to play with a TSL club and they have said they have got the message loud and clear from the NWFL that that rule should be removed. I know quite a few people from both the Devonport and Burnie clubs and from what I'm hearing a lot of the coastal boys who played with Launceston and North this year wont be next year as the travel for training is actually more of a burden that the travel to play on a Saturday and I don't reckon many of them will relocate for $80 a game. After the big review by the AFL earlier in the year I really think we are still in just as big a mess as we were before.

The TSL is a dead man walking, again. AFLTas have done it again. I wish they'd make their tiny minds up as to how footy needs to be structured.

I mean we've have the VFL thing, it was stuffed by AFLTas, the FT mariners thing, that didn't work as it was just too much travel & time on the kids & families,& wont again.

Then we've had 2 goes at State league. Its hopeless without the NWC involved & a balanced competition. Its never been balanced & properly supported

If AFL Tas had shown some kind of care & attention & actually listen to clubs, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I am disappointed the coast is no longer represented in the TSL. In my opinion there has to be 2 teams, the one team model some people have talked about just makes the travel situation worse. From the people I know at both Burnie and Devonport the 2 clubs now feel a lot more connected with the local community, people who haven't been to the football for years have come back and there is no interest at all in the TSL, in some ways thats a shame but it is the reality of the situation. People may disagree with me when I say the 2 coastal teams were not treated as equals when they were in both versions of the state league but the ultimate outcome suggests otherwuse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back