Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been a huge critic especially the last few weeks where he has been poor and weak but last night this man played the game of his life.
Played with presence, strength and smarts.

Brilliant performance.

Have been a huge critic especially the last few weeks where he has been poor and weak but last night this man played the game of his life.
Played with presence, strength and smarts.

Brilliant performance.

Our game plan doesnt need him to play like he did last night and its unrealistic to expect him to do so. Hes been good all year even when not holding his marks. (Except Round One.....that was a geniune stinker)

He was stiff not to be paid more than 8 contested marks. Looking at the replay, he took 11 grabs total, and none were really uncontested. Some just looked that way thanks to his ridiculous reach. That third goal he kicked was counted as uncontested... I just don't think that's right.

2nd Qtr was like Good Old Footy having a FF that Marks and Kicks just about Everything.

Also glad his Goal Kicking came good with 3.1 as been bit off of late

It just dawned on me that my late father's sister(my aunt) married a Cox, a Phil Cox. Perhaps I'm Mason's cousin? And I did go to university in Texas. I wonder if cousin Mason could get me a Grand Final ticket? Hmmm... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox was fantastic last night but played a stinker just two weeks ago and only contributed 1 contested mark with zero score last week.

Over the years I always find it bizarre when some people take a singular excellent performance of a player as evidence of that players general standard all the while totally discounting the majority of games when they've failed to have the same significant influence on a match.

Cox has filled a structural purpose but not to often has he been a genuine match winner like last night, that's been the concern and consistency of performance is exactly what turns mere role players into great players.

The simple reality is if he plays similar to last night 2 out of every 3 weeks then no one would ever question him.

As yet he doesn't and that's the next challenge for him.

I suggest next week would be a good time to start.

Cox was fantastic last night but played a stinker just two weeks ago and only contributed 1 contested mark with zero score last week.

Over the years I always find it bizarre when some people take a singular excellent performance of a player as evidence of that players general standard all the while totally discounting the majority of games when they've failed to have the same significant influence on a match.

Cox has filled a structural purpose but not to often has he been a genuine match winner like last night, that's been the concern and consistency of performance is exactly what turns mere role players into great players.

The simple reality is if he plays similar to last night 2 out of every 3 weeks then no one would ever question him.

His role isn't pivotal to a pies win or loss. Its contributing, we aren't in the days of Cloke where majority of the ball would go to him in the hope he kicks a bag.

If a team becomes too reliant on a play style or player/players to win a game. Then they are setting up to fail.

Been the story of 2018 for the pies, theres no one player we have become reliant on to get us over the line. If Cox doesn't clunk two or three of those marks last night but still brings it down to a crumber rather than being outmarked , hes still playing his role.

The most frustrating part is media/supporters expecting the world of him and critiquing his games like hes a Buddy Franklin/Jeremy Cameron, then in same breath saying he will never make it. Such a conflicting outlook on him as a player.

I suggest you don’t know how the game works

His role isn't pivotal to a pies win or loss. Its contributing, we aren't in the days of Cloke where majority of the ball would go to him in the hope he kicks a bag.

If a team becomes too reliant on a play style or player/players to win a game. Then they are setting up to fail.

Been the story of 2018 for the pies, theres no one player we have become reliant on to get us over the line. If Cox doesn't clunk two or three of those marks last night but still brings it down to a crumber rather than being outmarked , hes still playing his role.

The most frustrating part is media/supporters expecting the world of him and critiquing his games like hes a Buddy Franklin/Jeremy Cameron, then in same breath saying he will never make it. Such a conflicting outlook on him as a player.

Exactly. With 23 goals to his name he is Collingwoods fifth best goal scorer. He is second on the AFL ladder of "clubs fifth best goalscorers" Only the Eagles fifth best (Rioli) has scored more. No coincidence those two teams are still in the competition...they have a spread of goalkicking options and dont rely on the same old target every week.

You're right in that a single good game doesn't mean we should forget his general standard in all the other games. However what I think you miss is that Cox is still developing. And whilst that doesn't necessarily mean he will reach these heights regularly (see Tom Boyd), Cox has improved significantly over the last two years. It gives so much confidence to the player, and also shows that whilst this games sticks out like a sore thumb in his career so far, he's capable of doing this, the skill set is there.

2nd Qtr was like Good Old Footy having a FF that Marks and Kicks just about Everything.

Also glad his Goal Kicking came good with 3.1 as been bit off of late
The key was that his marks were taken closer to goal. We should stick with that, especially if it keeps McGovern from zoning off and intercepting everything around the 50m.

Yes he was invisible against WCE in Perth.

However if he improves on that performance, if we don’t go into our shell in the last quarter, if we wear the long stops, if we get an even run with the maggots, hell if any one of a zillion things goes right... we’re in it up to our necks.

We get to play back in Melbourne and can hope for a drier day, plus as compared to our previous MCG encounter it’s;
Out: Crocker, Daicos, Moore, Scharenberg
In: Treloar, Goldsack, Aish, Cox.

Not to mention +++ belief after beating GWS and Richmond on the MCG back to back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back