Strategy Next senior coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This plan B stuff is a bit of a furphy to be honest. Good teams have strong structures, sure you can throw a couple of magnets around but it’s not really a plan B.

It’s the teams ability to get a game back on their terms, and back on the terms of their structures but no team has a second plan to be implemented imo.
No they don't but they do have strategies to go with structures and we have few of them.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

When we win it is in spite of Horse, when we lose it is all Horse's fault.

All the senior players are cooked, the youngsters are up & down...but it all Horse's fault.

Some of you need to give the record player a nudge, you're stuck on the same song.
When a side slides it is always the coach's fault. If it were from. Lack of good talent I'd agree with you immediately but it isn't. It's from lack of a good game plan. We won many games by small margins this year. Could not score high scores. What if those games start to go the other way or we start to get blown away consistently by the likes of Gold Coast? Sorry but everyone is waking up. We survived on the talent of some really serious footballers this year. But if the game plan goes south, as in the Sun's & Giants games, not even talent can save you.

You really think that Horse has a plan to specifically not use the talents of the best player in the comp?

Don't be ridiculous!

Our best kicks can't kick the ball further than 30m with any accuracy.
We don't have a ruckman that takes marks around the ground, particularly from kick-ins.
We have nobody with elite ball use in our midfield.
Our best players' form goes up and down as much as the form of our kids.
We don't have any leg speed.
I actually don't agree with you. Just bombing the ball into Buddy is definitely utilising his talents. He isn't a great pack Mark never has been. Playing him injured is not utilising his talents it is shortening his career.

His record will read as great. Reality is probably good. Would have to really mess up to be spoken about in the same company as woeful. Won a premiership and took them to finals every season at the helm, long way off woeful.
No what he is saying is the regression could see us bottoming out. That would be woeful

In the Swans era the argument for our best coach is between Roos & Longmire. I can't see any other coach being up for debate but the way people are carrying on is as if he's the worst coach we've had.
He inherited an absolute star studded outfit and managed one premiership and one of the worst drubbing in AFL/VFL history

Yep ”no plan B” is basically code for "I don't like that we can't win all the time"

Where was Clarksons plan B on Thursday night? Or when they lost to Brisbane for the 2nd time in one season?

I have no problems with criticisms of our plan A by the way. It needs work
Clarkson's side was picked for blottom eight before the season got underway. He did well to get the that far

He inherited an absolute star studded outfit and managed one premiership and one of the worst drubbing in AFL/VFL history

Cameron inherited a star studded line up and did nothing. Buckley inherited a star studded lineup and went backwards. Thomas inherited a star studded line up and did nothing. If that's all there is to it why have so many others failed where Horse succeeded? Why couldn't Roos take us to another flag in 2010? If the list is all it takes, why have a coach at all? Teams just coach themselves

Clarkson's side was picked for blottom eight before the season got underway. He did well to get the that far

Making finals is nice but being bundled out in straight sets seems a waste. Oddly both teams that were knocked out this weekend qualified for the prelim by beating the Hawks. Playing the Hawks seemed to inflate their confidence as they were well off the pace against other top 4 teams.

Last edited:
So you want to axe Kennedy and Jack from the midfield? Who are the other ageing midfielders?
Jack should be retired with Reg and Macca. Time to develop the new breed of Swan. Other players who should be let go are;

Marsh, Towers, Maybe Foote, Pink & Rose.

Towers: I like Dean but he had a dog of a year.

Marsh: Same as Towers

Foote: Looked great early and was really good when he came back. But injuries took their toll. His viability is low

Pink: Toby virtually did not get on the park. I think they told him early he was going to be delisted. If he goes back to the Tigers in Adel aide he might have another shot later.

Rose: Looked so good in the reserves but is simply too easily pushed off the ball at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When a side slides it is always the coach's fault. If it were from. Lack of good talent I'd agree with you immediately but it isn't. It's from lack of a good game plan. We won many games by small margins this year. Could not score high scores. What if those games start to go the other way or we start to get blown away consistently by the likes of Gold Coast? Sorry but everyone is waking up. We survived on the talent of some really serious footballers this year. But if the game plan goes south, as in the Sun's & Giants games, not even talent can save you.

The game plan is by no means perfect but IMO it wouldn't matter what game plan was used if our midfield continued to perform at the level that they did. We might kick higher scores but I would bet that our scores against would go up by the same magnitude.

Losing 100-80 is no different to losing 50-30. The idea that higher scores = better game is a little fanciful for my liking.

Jack should be retired with Reg and Macca. Time to develop the new breed of Swan. Other players who should be let go are;

Marsh, Towers, Maybe Foote, Pink & Rose.

Towers: I like Dean but he had a dog of a year.

Marsh: Same as Towers

Foote: Looked great early and was really good when he came back. But injuries took their toll. His viability is low

Pink: Toby virtually did not get on the park. I think they told him early he was going to be delisted. If he goes back to the Tigers in Adel aide he might have another shot later.

Rose: Looked so good in the reserves but is simply too easily pushed off the ball at AFL level.

Thanks. So no other ageing midfielders then.

They were picked for bottom 8, but they had a host of premiership players + they added Mitchell & JOM.

As Richmond & Magpies have shown, the assistant coaches are almost as important as the senior. The Swans beat both grand finalists and just about every other team in the eight this year, so it's hard to make a case Sydney needs to make big changes, beyond putting more games into our youth and adding some outside run.

We swapped out a few of our assistants last year. Rhyce Shaw has just departed, so looks like we will bring in another assistant. Doesn't look like Johnson, Cox, Kirk or Blakey are going anywhere.

On topic of assistant coaches, North Adelaide just won the SANFL flag, against hot favourites Norwood, coached by ex-Swans assistant Josh Carr. Previous two SANFL flags went to Sturt, coached by Martin Mattner. He's just joined the Crows as an assistant - presumably a big cleanout of the Crows coaching panel now underway.

Big time?

Only game they played last year the Pies won by 1 point. Pies outscored us in the first but we won 2nd and 4th quarter and third was dead even.

Missing Heeney, Papley and Rampe at a glance. Had two 18 year olds as well as under 50 games Newman, Aliir, Mills, Marsh, Fox, Foote,
Dawson, Hewett, Naismith

Big time? Nope...

I don't know how we nearly won that game. We were outcoached.

Pies had 70 more possessions, and still had 30 more tackles. That first quarter they should have kicked 8 goals, I can't remember exact numbers but there were some obscene stat differentials in the first quarter.

Our defence held the line and kept it close in a game where they should have pantsed us.

Anyway that was 2017, so whatever.

"No Plan B" is an expression used by spectators with no idea what they're looking at to try to present themselves as having some idea about what they're looking at when all they're really doing is demonstrating to those who do know what they're looking at that indeed they have no idea what they're looking at.
Now that was profound. A bit like a Horse half time speach, more roundabouts than Monarco

I don't know how we nearly won that game. We were outcoached.

Pies had 70 more possessions, and still had 30 more tackles. That first quarter they should have kicked 8 goals, I can't remember exact numbers but there were some obscene stat differentials in the first quarter.

Our defence held the line and kept it close in a game where they should have pantsed us.

Anyway that was 2017, so whatever.
We win a lot of our games because of individual brilliance by some of our gun players.

I'm of the view 2016 was a robbery. I will never change that view.

My point was that it is difficult to compare coaches from the eras because their jobs are so different.

Are you seriously saying Hafey had an inferior comparative list to Horse? At Sydney?

Because that is simply delusional. Hafey had the opposite of the trade ban Horse has had to contend with.

Further, Horse didn't effectively have Franklin in 2016. He didn't have him at all in 2015. And he had a Franklin on one leg in 2018. When we lost that is.
That is bullshit. Franklin played in 2014, 2015, 2016 (I seem to remember him in a GF) and 2017. Horse has ****ed up the Franklin opportunity by insisting he play injured. Stuff you who's bloody fault is it Franklin was on one knee. That is just specious bullshit Bruce. Put responsibility where it deserves to be.

Since the players, not the coach, are responsible for performances I'd prefer we just avoid having a highly paid coach and put the extra $800k a year into list management staff
That is not true. If your game plan and tactics don't stack up then the players are at a loss from the get go

Agreed the club a whole is responsible for performance.

The coach in my opinion has more control of the overall direction , not so much on one game, but in the overall scheme of the season in terms of directing strategy, selection and gameplan- he can drop the players who do not comply. A s**t performance in a game is more on the players than the coach as a rule.

If a team plays the same way over and over again the coach is ultimately more to blame than the players in my view, but then of course maybe management is more to blame, as they should deal with a coach who does not perform.
Yes and allowing Hanbas and Jack to be so shitty for so long sent the wrong message to the young blokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back