McGovern hit on Viney

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought it definitely would have been reversed had Viney played for it a bit less

People get all up in arms about the Gaff incident, and yet when Lewis runs past Rioli and whacks him for no reason, people are sulking and saying its a soft free? which is it? is punching someone OK or is it not?

Are you seriously comparing Andrew Gaffs punch to the tap Jordan Lewis did?

632137-tlslargelandscape.jpg

don't care one way or another, but Gov can count himself lucky.

Hawkins gets a week for thinking about doing this.

Right in the soft spot of your throat too.

Are you seriously comparing Andrew Gaffs punch to the tap Jordan Lewis did?

Both were punches. My point is, unless there is a strict crackdown and 'no punches' rule, we will see the gaff incident again and again lament the AFL's inaction

Edit: to clarify, Gaff's punch was much worse, and he deserved his suspension; there's a reasonable chance it will cost him a premiership. However, there was more than a bit of bad luck involved (Brayshaw significantly lowering his body, resulting in a chest punch becoming one to the face). Subsequently, Gaff's punch drew wide-spread condemnation, and rightly so, and yet the Lewis punch was complained about as a free. What if Rioli had slipped over at the time of impact and Lewis had broken his jaw? Punches in general don't have a place in the game.

Simple solution; dont want to get suspended or give a free kick away? dont punch.

Last edited:
You try getting punched in the neck....

I think fair would have been an overruled free kick, maybe a fine and a VERY lucky Mitch because if that were 5 cm higher he would definitely not be playing.
Mitch is definitely not playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shameful from Viney, particularly as he presents as a hard, tough, fair player.

Maybe I've got a different mindset, but for me, sport is partly about "no-selling" (to use a pro wrestling term) contact. You want to walk or run through contact with no reaction. You want to create the idea in the mind of the opposition that you have no fear or feeling of pain, and that you're an inhuman Terminator, impervious to whatever they do to you, the hardest person alive. Take away the threat of physicality, and it goes a ways to neutering the opposition, because it takes away ways they can beat you, both physically and mentally.

If the umpire calls a free kick or foul for whatever the opposition does, so be it. But you can eat whatever physicality they can dish out, without it stopping you. That should be the way it's approached IMO, in any sport. None of this exaggeration or begging for free kicks.

OK I'll punch you in the throat and see how you go. Geez you post some garbage on here.

Pretty lucky considering this club has issues with wayward punches doing damage, but it is the GF so play on.

Issues? You make it sound like there been multiple Eagles suspended this year for Gaff like incidents

OK I'll punch you in the throat and see how you go. Geez you post some garbage on here.

Viney got pushed forcefully in the throat, which somehow caused his legs go stiff, and is body to collapse like he'd been shot. It might have hurt a bit in the moment, but his reaction was a sell job that would have made Shawn Michaels proud.

Viney quite obviously milked it for way more than it was worth, attempting to con the ump for a free kick, but it didn't work. Viney then jumped up and continued on like nothing had happened when the jig was up. #sobrave, I assume?

You should think yourself lucky Viney didn’t injure himself with his flop. Your serial flopped Oliver apparently needs two shoulder ops. It can be dangerous throwing yourself backwards

Not sure if any here have copped a hit to the throat before, but Viney showed none of the tell tale signs of even light contact directly to the throat. The movies don't lie - it can be quite stunning and makes it difficult to breathe in the moments afterwards. It's also a very difficult spot to hit.

Leads me to conclude that the force in the above picture is through the palm and to the sternum, with very little if any forceful contact hitting higher. The angle of McGovern's wrist supports this.

That said, it was a very, very silly thing to do. An inch or 2 higher and McGovern would be missing a gf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back