Gary Ablett Jr holds the all time record for the most Brownlow votes. Dangerfield, Selwood and Pendlebury are top 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's official. Ablett Jr now holds the all time record for Brownlow votes.
Actually he held the record prior to the 2018 Vote. Don't forget players received double votes for a period in the 70's so when adjusted Dempsey finished on 218.5 votes.

upload_2018-9-25_17-48-53.png

Actually last night just served as the perfect reminder as to a) how the alleged 'failure' of Selwood, Danger and Ablett wasn't so much a failure as a means of highlighting our lack of depth, and b) that whole 'relying on our top 6' thing.

From memory the trinity had 47 votes between them, Kelly, Hawkins and Stewart I think had around 30, and then basically nothing.

Actually last night just served as the perfect reminder as to a) how the alleged 'failure' of Selwood, Danger and Ablett wasn't so much a failure as a means of highlighting our lack of depth, and b) that whole 'relying on our top 6' thing.

From memory the trinity had 47 votes between them, Kelly, Hawkins and Stewart I think had around 30, and then basically nothing.
Hawkins, Menegola and Menzel received BOG’s

Actually he held the record prior to the 2018 Vote. Don't forget players received double votes for a period in the 70's so when adjusted Dempsey finished on 218.5 votes.

View attachment 563903
I'm glad he has the record officially now though, the raw votes for Dempsey made him ridiculously hard to catch.

He leads the all time votes and should have at least 5 Brownlow medals. He's not finished yet either. I expect him to poll better next year as his month out really stalled his season when he was in red hot form. He will end up with a lot more than 248. He is without doubt, the greatest midfielder of the modern era.

Last edited:
He leads the all time votes and should have at least 5 Brownlow medals. He is without doubt, the greatest midfielder of the modern era.
How he didn't win after his 2007/2008 seasons i'll never know. He was by far the best player in the comp during those two seasons and the results caused the Brownlow to lose all prestige in my eyes.

How he didn't win after his 2007/2008 seasons i'll never know. He was by far the best player in the comp during those two seasons and the results caused the Brownlow to lose all prestige in my eyes.
2008 was the one that changed my perception. There was no way Cooney had a better season than GAJ, and Cooney even jokes about it

Totally agree, I have never felt the same about the Brownlow since. Bomber cost him another one in 2010 and he was on the way to winning the 2014 one by ten votes before the injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2008 was the one that changed my perception. There was no way Cooney had a better season than GAJ, and Cooney even jokes about it
2007 not far off being just as outragous. Bartel was a champion and inspirational combatant on the footy field and seems A great bloke off it but god how the count unfolded to see him finish 8 or 9 votes (or whatever it was) clear of Gaz was mind boggling.

Worthy of note re. 2007 is the fact that Ablett actually polled in exactly the same amount of games as Bartel - 11. Jimmy had 8 best on grounds among his 29 votes. Like a lot of our players, he started slowly in the first five rounds (didn't poll). Jimmy had already picked up a BOG and another vote before the rest of the side hit its stride. CD from memory predicted a Bartel win. I know someone did - I loaded up on him at about $9.

2007 not far off being just as outragous. Bartel was a champion and inspirational combatant on the footy field and seems A great bloke off it but god how the count unfolded to see him finish 8 or 9 votes (or whatever it was) clear of Gaz was mind boggling.
True. Jimmy didn’t even win the Cats B&F in 07. But he was still my favourite, so I can look past what happened;)

I thought Treloar was the standout for Collingwood. I'd think Tom Stewart would be stiff to miss out on a vote but we all know defenders never get them. Nothing got past him tonight. I'd go 3 Kelly, 2 Treloar 1 Stewart but I think Gaz will get the 1 come Brownlow night. Elliot did nothing after half time. 8 touches and 3 goals vote worthy? Not for me.

Elliott and Kelly are locks for votes tonight - Ablett odds-on to be the third.
I can assure you come Brownlow night that Elliott will be nowhere near the votes.

Fair point, I rewatched the game after I posted that, and as someone pointed out earlier, Elliott got cold after half-time. He was magnificent in the first, though.
It's actually quite hard to predict the votes from last night apart from Kelly who I think is a lock ... or should be. Although after last nights umpiring display, who knows. It was as bad as I've seen this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back