Sam Frost - traded to Hawthorn. Farewell Frostball

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we do indeed play a "chaos" style of footy as the ever cliche seeking media portray, then I reckon Frosty epitomises it. Love his random charging which may or may not end in disaster and equally may be a triumph of flailing, pumping glory.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
If we do indeed play a "chaos" style of footy as the ever cliche seeking media portray, then I reckon Frosty epitomises it. Love his random charging which may or may not end in disaster and equally may be a triumph of flailing, pumping glory.

I think people misinterpret chaos football, the media think its as though sides who play that way have no idea what they are doing, it means we like to keep the ball alive or in dispute. Look at Hawthorn and WCE are the opposite who are systems based and like to kick-mark and reduce the amount of time the ball is live or in dispute.

I think people misinterpret chaos football, the media think its as though sides who play that way have no idea what they are doing, it means we like to keep the ball alive or in dispute. Look at Hawthorn and WCE are the opposite who are systems based and like to kick-mark and reduce the amount of time the ball is live or in dispute.
Yes, better described as 'continuous football'.

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be fair to Frosty this was true last year , when he did his mad runs he would just bomb it long to no one and it would quite often hurt us going back the other way. Now he does his mad runs and most of the time has the poise to give it off or hit a short target . Has become a genuine gun defender.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
To be fair to Frosty this was true last year , when he did his mad runs he would just bomb it long to no one and it would quite often hurt us going back the other way. Now he does his mad runs and most of the time has the poise to give it off or hit a short target . Has become a genuine gun defender.

Agree his runs last year were the true definition of chaos.

Was practising kick outs (barrels) at training today and landed a few in the middle of the ground with ease. Just quietly wouldn't be surprised if we did it a few times on Saturday.
Still would have preferred to have kept Dunn, but this guy is a more athletic/quick version of him

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
A thought - could the big fella play on the wing? His pace and ability to back himself are exceptional, yet he doesn't read the ball like a natural KPD.

If he wasn't as tall as he was, would he actually play back there?

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
A thought - could the big fella play on the wing? His pace and ability to back himself are exceptional, yet he doesn't read the ball like a natural KPD.

If he wasn't as tall as he was, would he actually play back there?

Unlikely, his footy smarts isn’t his strongest asset. He is as tall as is he is, that isn’t changing.....ifs and buts.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Perhaps - but a game breaking wingman with elite pacec who can compete aerially in front of the MCC members might just work...

Agree but just show hornjng frost there because he has the attributes doesn’t mean it will work. Mind you 2 years ago if you said Tmac would be a 50 goal a season forward you would have been laughed off his board.

I’d like to think we could train Hunt to fill the wing role, he tried this year and it didn’t wok, injury didn’t help. We definitely need some more pace there.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Agree but just show hornjng frost there because he has the attributes doesn’t mean it will work. Mind you 2 years ago if you said Tmac would be a 50 goal a season forward you would have been laughed off his board.

I’d like to think we could train Hunt to fill the wing role, he tried this year and it didn’t wok, injury didn’t help. We definitely need some more pace there.

To be fair there is nothing hunt can do that frost can't. Maybe kick a running goal but I still remember frosts running goal against the pies in 2015

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If Mark Blicavs can do it, why not Frosty?
Blicavs is literally an aerobic beast. His fitness is miles in front of other AFL types, he was also successful as a 3rd man up in the rucks, they changed that rule and Blitz has been playing key back all year. Same place as frost..

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He might be the most entertaining man in football. Last half dozen games he has become an imposing intercept defender reading it near perfectly in the air and his hands have been incredible, then he thinks he's Shannon Hurn but kicks Ty Zantuck. I love it. He is a bloody effective back up tall to May

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's always his first kick of the day after a ripping mark that he fluffs. Tries to weight it into a hole in the zone but often gives it too much air. Needs to just thump his first one 60m down the line, or just take off on a crazy Frost-ball run through the centre of the ground, zig zagging wildly

He might be the most entertaining man in football. Last half dozen games he has become an imposing intercept defender reading it near perfectly in the air and his hands have been incredible, then he thinks he's Shannon Hurn but kicks Ty Zantuck. I love it. He is a bloody effective back up tall to May
shouldn't be allowed to kick it less than 20m. His short kicking is horrendous at times (by times I mean most of the time)

shouldn't be allowed to kick it less than 20m. His short kicking is horrendous at times (by times I mean most of the time)
It's not like anyone can catch him. Should be instructed as soon as he wins the ball to just run to his nearest teammate and let them kick it.

Back