Amazing teams that could have been...

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
The 90's was a somewhat disappointing decade in that none of the powerhouses faced off in a Grand Final - West Coast/Essendon/Nth Melbourne. Carlton made 3 Grand Finals in the 90's but 1995 was a stand alone dominant year.

West Coast probably should have won an extra flag and so should have Essendon. I think North's 2 flags was about right. A West Coast v North GF in '94 and a Essendon v North GF in '99 would have been much more entertaining that what eventuated in both of those years.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The 90's was a somewhat disappointing decade in that none of the powerhouses faced off in a Grand Final - West Coast/Essendon/Nth Melbourne. Carlton made 3 Grand Finals in the 90's but 1995 was a stand alone dominant year.

West Coast probably should have won an extra flag and so should have Essendon. I think North's 2 flags was about right. A West Coast v North GF in '94 and a Essendon v North GF in '99 would have been much more entertaining that what eventuated in both of those years.
Was just thinking that before. Eagles underachieved with their list I reckon, but who knows, maybe the constant travel wore them down? They butchered Geelong in 94 and reckon they’d have done the same to North. They were too good. They peaked from 91-94 and probably should’ve won in 93 as well.

1999 was a fizzer, Bombers losing gave Carlton (who finished 6th I think) a ticket to being flogged by North. The Bombers v North prospect would have been tantalising.

Also, I think Adelaide cocked up massively in 05,06 and 12.

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EFFC, Blackhawks, Cubs, Bears

I don't know how that couldn't make sense, but...

Game 1 (QF): 1v2
Game 2 (EF): 3v6
Game 3 (EF): 4v5

Game 4 (2SF): Winner of Game 1 vs Winner of Game 3
Game 5 (1SF): Loser of Game 1 vs Winner of Game 2

Game 6 (PF): Loser of Game 4 vs Winner of Game 5

Game 7 (GF): Winner of Game 4 vs Winner of Game 6

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
1v2, 3v6, 4v5

winner of 1v2 vs winner of 4v5, loser of 1v2 vs winner of 3v6

loser of first final in week 2 vs winner of second final in week 2

winner of first final in week 2 vs winner of final in week 3

That does seem odd, doesn't this just penalise the team that finishes 3rd greatly?

morsie

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Said this before Fitzroy 1978.Rejected Terry Wallace as too slow so he went back to Camberwell.
Traded John Murphy to South Melbourne.South apparently offered the Daniher bros.Instead Fitzroy took Terry O'Neil and John Blair.
3/5 of a stellar goal to goal line.Sigh.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

I can see why that system was scrapped.
It really feels like something only the AFL could come up with, then defend at all costs.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Got flogged by Geelong in preliminary by 16 goals, whom in turn were only the second best team of that year being 4 wins between first and second on ladder. Carlton then flogged Cats and were 85 points up in grand final before easing up to let Cats kick last 4 goals of grand final as we celebrated. Tigers 1995 team were a mile off...

I think with that Tigers 1995 list, it's moreso that they could have and should have done more in the years that followed. They had a pretty young list, and played most of that season without Richo and their captain, Tony Free. Northey was taking them in the right direction.

Hawksboy72

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Philly Eagles
It was the old system where teams were ranked. It was an odd year because 5th and 6th won their elimination finals over 4th and 3rd.

A bizarre system where Adelaide could finish 5th, win, lose and then get a double chance.
1991 Finals (A Final 6)
1: WCE 19/3
2: HAW 16/6
3: GEEL 16/6
4: STK 14/7/1
5: MELB 13/9
6: ESS 13/9
WEEK 1
HAWTHORN 124 DEF.WCE 101 (SUBIACO) (FIRST INTERSTATE FINAL)
GEELONG 104 DEF. ST KILDA 97 (WAVERLEY) (ST KILDA OUT)
MELBOURNE 113 DEF. ESSENDON 75 (WAVERLEY) (ESSENDON OUT)
WEEK 2
HAWTHORN 95 DEFEATED GEELONG 93 (WAVERLEY) (HAWTHORN TO GF)
WCE 117 DEFEATED MELBOURNE 79 (WAVERLEY) (MELBOURNE OUT)
WEEK 3
WCE 79 DEFEATED GEELONG 64 (WAVERLEY)(WCE TO GF)
WEEK 4
HAWTHORN 20.19.139
WEST COAST 13.8.86
Due to the eagles losing the first final and Melbourne winning the eagles had to travel to Melbourne for the rest of the finals.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

It did not make sense. Was funny to live through.

That does seem odd, doesn't this just penalise the team that finishes 3rd greatly?
It does a lot of weird things. The weirdest is 1 v 2 in week one is forced to mean the loser gets dumped to 3rd ranking for no logical reason at all. The highest ranked winner of other finals in same week earns a double chance to make grand final. Which means some other lucky side leap frogs into a final with winner of 1 v 2 earning the same double chance as one of those teams... ha ha.. will never make any sense, EVER!!!
It was the old system where teams were ranked. It was an odd year because 5th and 6th won their elimination finals over 4th and 3rd.

A bizarre system where Adelaide could finish 5th, win, lose and then get a double chance.
Adelaide got a double chance to make grand final. This years minor premier did not even get that. Hence Richmond lose one final last week and no double chance to make grand final. 1993 Crows got more chances to make grand final than Richmond did in 2018. I love how silly it was. Showed how little thought was put into it.
Ok. lets try an 18 metre goal line in 2019 to try to outdo the silliness. :p

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Adelaide got a double chance to make grand final. This years minor premier did not even get that. Hence Richmond lose one final last week and no double chance to make grand final. 1993 Crows got more chances to make grand final than Richmond did in 2018. I love how silly it was. Showed how little thought was put into it.Ok. lets try an 18 metre goal line in 2019 to try to outdo the silliness. :p

Richmond had a double chance same as WC, Hawthorn and Collingwood.

No team in the current system has a double chance after week one.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Richmond had a double chance same as WC, Hawthorn and Collingwood.

No team in the current system has a double chance after week one.

Not in 1993. Carlton, Essendon and Crows all got double chances.
Essendon got a double chance to reach preliminary final.
Carlton got double chance to reach grand final.
Crows below both of them got a double chance to reach grand final.
This comedy will never make sense but thanks for adding to the confusion for readers with other teams...lol

The only double chances now are to each preliminary final.
Crows of 1993 got more than minor premier did this year. Crows of 1993 with double chance to make grand final.
Never makes more sense no matter how many times we look at it.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Richmond came 2nd last in 1993 so I'm not sure where you are going with this.
I am not going anywhere. You are the one on some weird tangent away from what I was talking about..rofl...
The 1993 finals series and the weird way the rankings in top two made no sense in week two to give double chance to grand final to Crows.

I am not going anywhere. You are the one on some weird tangent away from what I was talking about..rofl...
The 1993 finals series and the weird way the rankings in top two made no sense in week two to give double chance to grand final to Crows.

Was ridiculous that 1 and 2 played for a spot in the 2nd semi and yet 4v5 ended up doing the same. Stupid system, fortunately one that didn’t deny the best team the premiership ;-)

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Was ridiculous that 1 and 2 played for a spot in the 2nd semi and yet 4v5 ended up doing the same. Stupid system,
Exactly, it is what always amusing me looking back at it. Why were Essendon dumped to 3rd ranking for losing to 1st in week one? At worst they should have been ranked 2nd at end of game.
Will never ever makes sense.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

It was a silly system that was rightfully changed but you literally said this:

Adelaide got a double chance to make grand final. This years minor premier did not even get that. Hence Richmond lose one final last week and no double chance to make grand final. 1993 Crows got more chances to make grand final than Richmond did in 2018. I love how silly it was. Showed how little thought was put into it.

Every team in the top 4 this year had a double chance. If Adelaide lost in week one in 1993 they would've been out.

Back