News Brett Montgomery joins GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Schofield when asked how he felt about Ports poor skills.

giphy.gif

When was the last time a club appointed a new senior coach from within their own ranks? Excluding the Goodwin/Buckley/Cameron/Longmire type succession plans, I don't think it's been done since Matty Primus. Going by that, Schoey's best chance of landing the senior coaching gig would be to convince Ken that he needs a succession plan sometime before this current contract runs its course.

When was the last time a club appointed a new senior coach from within their own ranks? Excluding the Goodwin/Buckley/Cameron/Longmire type succession plans, I don't think it's been done since Matty Primus. Going by that, Schoey's best chance of landing the senior coaching gig would be to convince Ken that he needs a succession plan sometime before this current contract runs its course.

How do we know that Schofield's appointment isn't a long term succession plan? Maybe we give Ken two more years while an understudy learns the ropes then we piss Ken off and appoint his apprentice just as Collingwood did with Malthouse and Buckley. Not saying that will happen but I would like to think there is a chance.

What would really piss me off is if we were simply a stepping stone and Schofield did a Clarkson at another club. That doesn't bear thinking about.

Surely that’s KT and Co telling Ken?

How do we know that Schofield's appointment isn't a long term succession plan? Maybe we give Ken two more years while an understudy learns the ropes then we piss Ken off and appoint his apprentice just as Collingwood did with Malthouse and Buckley. Not saying that will happen but I would like to think there is a chance.

What would really piss me off is if we were simply a stepping stone and Schofield did a Clarkson at another club. That doesn't bear thinking about.

We do stuff like that well.

Wingard wins a Brownlow next year at Hawks too!

It's not who we have secured nor that they were likely smooth appointments but it's that we needed change and of course I hope that their influence is for the better. Montgomery has had conflicts in his past appointments though. I hope there is cohesion amongst all. I don't believe in succession plans either, I'd rather the club have the flexibility to appoint the best candidate when they're ready.
We can't be successful with Hinkley's philosophies so I'm hoping the change in coaches brings out better things in other areas such as skill developmentment and hunger and smarts. We still need better players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy to see Schofield and Montgomery come back to the club, Schoey in particular. :thumbsu:

If Monty is as abrasive as has been suggested, I wonder what the chances are of an altercation between him and Crazy Vossy, ala the finger in the chest incident with Nicks after a game a few years ago.

Is he going to have a midfield to work with?

Boak banned from the midfield, Gray up forward and Polec, Wingard and SPP all traded out.

It'll be Wines playing the role of Atlas, a 1-armed Rockliff, a 1-legged Ryder, Ebert and maybe Atley if he's lucky enough to crack the 22.

Boak banned from the midfield, Gray up forward and Polec, Wingard and SPP all traded out.

It'll be Wines playing the role of Atlas, a 1-armed Rockliff, a 1-legged Ryder, Ebert and maybe Atley if he's lucky enough to crack the 22.

Ryder ruck, Frampton, Dixon and Wines in the midfield, and Westhoff and Watts on the wings.

Do I? Until this off-season, I think I have been quite measured. I do expect a level of professionalism from the club. The comms team has not really shown it lately.

yeah but it doesnt matter which thread its the same dig at the club, im not happy but i dont bring it up at every chance, each to their own i guess

yeah but it doesnt matter which thread its the same dig at the club, im not happy but i dont bring it up at every chance, each to their own i guess

It depends on whether you think the problem has the same source, I guess. Someone is supposed to impose standards.

This should have been a chance to sell the club to its members and supporters. Instead, they grab a photo, 'shop old sponsors and parts of the other players out and say job done. No one seems to be imposing a minimum standard in any aspect of the club at the moment. That kind of attitude spreads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back