Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

Also loved getting a “your membership is going up but we won’t tell you the cost” email received at 5.02pm. Classic Friday afternoon “clearing out the trash” strategy.

I don’t mind paying more. Just don’t treat me like an idiot. If the fees are going up, tell me how much it will cost me so I can make a decision. Dont drip feed the news to me at a “clever” time, in some half-arsed PR strategy.

Gotta say Lions_Insider, I'm more than a bit miffed that the September Member system has been scrapped. I feel a bit conned actually.

When it was first announced it was basically sold to us as a yearly insurance policy that would guarantee you priority access to a grand final ticket, and that it was a first in best served thing, i.e. if you signed up for it from year one you were at the front of the queue.

And let's face it, those of us who have been paying the extra 30-40 a year or so for the last decade (or however long it's been going) have done so over that time knowing that our chances of making finals that year, let alone the grand final were slim, but kept doing so partially out of good faith but also on the assumption that one day the worm would eventually turn and that we'd preserve our place in the queue for when that happened.

Now, just as the on-field fortunes of the club now look like they are improving, the system appears to have been abolished, and all the "equity" us September members have paid into the system ($300-400 or so each over a decade) just vanishes into nothingness and we face the pretty terrifying prospect of missing out on a grand final ticket should the team make it in the near future. It feels a little bit like paying into a life insurance policy (with loyalty bonuses) for 10 years only to be just randomly told that it wont be honoured.

Really, really disappointed and feeling totally ripped off.
Couldn't agree more. Really miffed over this. Peeved, even.

Also loved getting a “your membership is going up but we won’t tell you the cost” email received at 5.02pm. Classic Friday afternoon “clearing out the trash” strategy.

Can definitely picked the unlucky chosen Comms staffer sitting alone in the office, lights already turned off, alarm already activated. They click send, then just hit the power button on their computer and run for the door. The first of many phone calls from members ringing out as they slam the door and get into a waiting car, engine already running.

Presumably they hope we'll all get over it after the long weekend. Not sure about that.

Last edited:
Add my voice to this. Very disapointed at the sneaky late Friday email and loss of September membership.

Hey TheBrownDog , I got the 5.02pm email and all it mentioned was the price rise nothing about the abolition of the September Member option, I just double checked and I am a SM and have been for years.

I'm with TBD Lions_Insider , to put it mildly if the September Member option is done away with I'll be as angry as I have ever been with the club and TheBrownDog explained the reasons why perfectly so no need for me to go into it again.

I can understand the need for occasional price rises and I'm fine with it, the other NO!

I've had a full season of enduring various interstate supporters sitting right behind me and carrying on like total nutters. The ushers have been accommodating in relocating me mid-game, but it's very much second best. Been sitting in the same seat since the redevelopment- what was it, 1997?- and gotten used to it.

Anyway, this season I'm exploring the option of a part-season Member's ticket- seems to be at least financially comparable, and from my limited experience, comes nutter-free.

All spelt out in my Members Survey.

Hey TheBrownDog , I got the 5.02pm email and all it mentioned was the price rise nothing about the abolition of the September Member option, I just double checked and I am a SM and have been for years.

I'm with TBD Lions_Insider , to put it mildly if the September Member option is done away with I'll be as angry as I have ever been with the club and TheBrownDog explained the reasons why perfectly so no need for me to go into it again.

I can understand the need for occasional price rises and I'm fine with it, the other NO!

Your not alone Jason. I only got the price increase email. Nothing at all about the September Membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on, maybe we’ve misunderstood.

“In 2019, the additional membership pack item for September Member and Cheer Squad upgrades has been removed. All other benefits, including access to Grand Finals ticketing subject to Club participation, remain the same. Please visit membership.lions.com.au from November for a full list of benefits.”

Maybe they are just saying that you don’t get a key ring or medallion or whatever anymore for being a September member or Cheer Squad member. Possible that September Memberships (with priority GF tickets) will still be available.

If so, the club needs to be a lot clearer in their communication when spitting out a “take out the trash” email at 5.02 pm on a long weekend eve instead of leaving us to stew without clarification and linking us to membership info that hasn’t been updated yet.

“In 2019, the additional membership pack item for September Member and Cheer Squad upgrades has been removed. All other benefits, including access to Grand Finals ticketing subject to Club participation, remain the same. Please visit membership.lions.com.au from November for a full list of benefits.”

Maybe they are just saying that you don’t get a key ring or medallion or whatever anymore for being a September member or Cheer Squad member. Possible that September Memberships (with priority GF tickets) will still be available.

If so, the club needs to be a lot clearer in their communication when spitting out a “take out the trash” email at 5.02 pm on a long weekend eve instead of leaving us to stew without clarification and linking us to membership info that hasn’t been updated yet.
Oooops!

I think we may have went off too early, that's clear to me that we will still have priority access to GF tickets.

Oooops!

I think we may have went off too early, that's clear to me that we will still have priority access to GF tickets.

There are a lot of people confused by whether they are saying the “membership pack addon items including September Memberships and cheer squad are no longer included but there are no other changes to how members in general can get grand final tickets”

Or “the extra freebies you get with these membership add ons are no longer included but you keep your grand final access etc”

It’s likely the latter but a lot of people smarter than me were confused and read it as the former as well.

Speaking as someone who used to write ministerial briefs where being concise and utterly clear is non-negotiable, this is a terribly vague communique delivered at the worst possible time.

It should have been in FAQ format instead of sounding like a nebulous Product Disclosure Statement, but that would have made it harder to dodge specifics about these mysterious, unquantified fee rises.

Bring back Steele Tallon! He had the unique ability to see everything from the fan perspective.

I think this is a mess up and a frustrating one at that, but overall the comms team have been awesome this year. The fact we have a person like Lions_Insider responding to questions on a forum is an awesome initiative by the club.

Let's not let this ruin our day just yet.

Except September members had guaranteed access..
Conspicuously missing word there.

Obviously needs clarification.

Price increase might not be well thought out. Lions only just becoming relevant. Roar raised their prices last season and copped a whack in decreased numbers and have subsequently dropped them back down again for this season.

Yup, if I’m reading that I’m thinking it no longer includes the deck of playing cards. Probably survivable.

I still read that as September member, specifically guaranteed GF ticket, is being removed. ‘Access’ to GF ticketing is the same for any member, you have access but you don’t necessarily get one.

The club (Lions Insider) need to respond and clear this up. Like a few on here I’ll be ropable after forking out roughly $500 for nothing and be an equal chance of getting a GF ticket as someone who has forked out nothing.

I can understand the club not taking any new September members,but those who have paid up since day dot should not suffer.

Last edited:
I still read that as September member, specifically guaranteed GF ticket, is being removed. ‘Access’ to GF ticketing is the same for any member, you have access but you don’t necessarily get one.

The club (Lions Insider) need to respond and clear this up. Like a few on here I’ll be ropable after forking out roughly $500 for nothing and be an equal chance of getting a GF ticket as someone who has forked out nothing.

I can understand the club not taking any new September members,but those who have paid up since day dot should not suffer.

Public holiday in Brisbane tomorrow. Hopefully it all gets cleared up Tuesday.

Public holiday in Brisbane tomorrow. Hopefully it all gets cleared up Tuesday.

Yep hopefully. It’s minimal $ but it’s a pretty big factor for me. If they scrap it I’d probably not bother buying a membership to be honest - I don’t get to all games so i’d just buy a GA ticket to games I went to; and if we happened to make the GF I’d just buy one of those $1500 packages.

Yep hopefully. It’s minimal $ but it’s a pretty big factor for me. If they scrap it I’d probably not bother buying a membership to be honest - I don’t get to all games so i’d just buy a GA ticket to games I went to; and if we happened to make the GF I’d just buy one of those $1500 packages.
Yep, the dropping of the September Member "GUARANTEED" access to a grand final seat would be a massive disappointment for me and my son.

Every year we joke with each other about continuing with the September Member option and we do so because of our fervent anticipation and delight at the thought of a possible trip to the grand final with our beloved Lions on the big stage.

The lost money I could live with but the lost opportunity would be a lot harder to get over.

Lions_Insider this needs to be cleared up unambiguously please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back